2013 Aging , maintenance and Towing performance (or lack of)

This is a discussion on 2013 Aging , maintenance and Towing performance (or lack of) within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I bought my 2013 brand new, and have enjoyed her for a few years now I've had the oil changed regular swapped air filters and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2013 Aging , maintenance and Towing performance (or lack of)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I bought my 2013 brand new, and have enjoyed her for a few years now I've had the oil changed regular swapped air filters and done a reasonable job taking care not to abuse her, but she's getting older and currently has 180,000 on the ole ticker. I'm hoping she will be good for many years to come.

Here lately I've been trying to figure out why she's not getting the mileage or towing performance I came to love when she was new. Other than tires she is bone stock. The last set of tires I put on it were 275/60 18's and that's 1.5 sizes larger than stock (265/60 18 I think), so I expected a downward shift in mileage, but before 22mpg was mixed driving and a few spirited starts. Even after the tires 20-21 was expected if I wasn't hot footing it. Now 18.5mpg is a good day. I have logged over 5000 miles towing various things from rock crawlers to campers to equipment. I've hot footed the thing with my +8000lb camper (+80mph) with no problems, but lately getting up a hill (small hill) in 5th gear without loosing 10mph or causing coolant temp to rise is hard. I feel like before that was never a problem.

The truck still runs great, but it just seems she's missed a step or two the last 2 years, and I would like to see her 100% or better.

I recently had the low boost code pop up pulling my camper home one weekend so I replaced the electronic BOV which had a tear in it. Mileage and performance showed slight improvement.
    Other than that I just replaced the plugs and gapped them down to 28 thousands.

I have no codes popping she idles smooth and pulls pretty dang well, but I see what other ecoboosts are pulling in much more extreme environments. Based on the performance from Memorial Day weekend mine isn't up for that. I have the smaller gears, but 3.15 in 4th is 3.591 and 3.73 in 5th is 3.2451. Knowing that I have expected to use 4th and 5th more than say the max tow would from the beginning, but she pull loads much better once upon a time.

Surely the tires aren't the problem here... are they?

Things I'm considering both to restore factory power and upgrade:

Clean innercooler possibly upgrade
    Go back to stock on tires
    Tune
    Maybe down tubes
    Maybe exhaust if I can find a quite freer flowing combo

Bigger camper once I'm confident the beast will drag it just fine.

Some tow mileage history

10mpg towing 8000lbs of rockcrawler and trailer through West Mississippi hills through Natchez (pre mileage and preformance issues)
    12mpg towing 7000lbs of truck and trailer through low rolling hills of Mississippi (pre mileage and preformance issues)
    8mpg pulling +8000lbs camper hot footing it across the flats running 75-85mph (pre mileage and preformance issues)
    9mpg pulling +8000lbs camper to Dauphin Island and back (pre mileage and preformance issues)
    8mpg pulling +8000lbs camper to Dauphin Island and back but babying it this time
    7.5mpg pulling +8000lbs camper low rolling hills of South Mississippi not quite babying it (after bov and plugs were replaced)

Unloaded through the Smokies I cruised at or below 65mpg and managed to get just over 20mpg after I replaced BOV.

I'm interested in maintenance suggestions. As well as upgrades. I'm gonna be up front about the catch can thing right now. I think it is a solution needing a problem, and I've lurked here for a long time and I'm not convinced it brings any attributable value to the life or performance of any engine. We can be friends and disagree... I hope.

So other than catch cans whatcha got?

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3210 times
    You have 180,000 miles on your Gen1 and you are asking for advice?

I'm asking FOR advice from YOU!

Man would I love to know definitively what leads to one Gen1 delivering a long and reliable service life VS one that crosses that 5year/60,000 mile benchmark and suddenly frightens the owner out of confidence.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Mitchf150 likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post

Man would I love to know definitively what leads to one Gen1 delivering a long and reliable service life VS one that crosses that 5year/60,000 mile benchmark and suddenly frightens the owner out of confidence.

Best advice I have is change the oil often and drive it like you stole it once or twice a week. I drive roughly 40,000 miles a year (I bought the truck as new old-stock in 2014). Its only on its second set of tires and breaks. They are great trucks, I know there are some turds out there but in think their are far less turds than the internet would have you believe. I've replaced two other components a coolant line seal to driver turbo and one of the MAP sensors. All in the last year.
    Mitchf150 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013EBF150 View Post
    Best advice I have is change the oil often and drive it like you stole it once or twice a week. I drive roughly 40,000 miles a year (I bought the truck as new old-stock in 2014). Its only on its second set of tires and breaks. They are great trucks, I know there are some turds out there but in think their are far less turds than the internet would have you believe. I've replaced two other components a coolant line seal to driver turbo and one of the MAP sensors. All in the last year.
    I would like to go on record that I have never met you, messaged you, or prompted your reply even the LEAST bit!

Yet you immediately described your ownership experience as Lots of fresh oil AND running it hard a couple of times weekly.

Amazing!

Why? Because there is a similar description almost every time someone checks in here and announces that their truck, or their dad's, or uncle's...... Ecoboost has 200,xxx miles and is "still going strong".

I realize that what I'm suggesting isn't some kind of magic solution to a trouble free Ecoboost guarantee, since it wouldn't and couldn't address the occasional manufacturers defects that are found on some percentage of every make and model. But I don't think it's a coincidence that these Ecoboost trucks were designed to perform, and indeed suffer WELL for doing so.

That and Lots of fresh oil.

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    691 times

He left it stock besides tires LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    I tow a little #5000 TT and I can only manage 10 mpg on average and that's not really going faster than 65 mph. I can get 20 mpg on the hwy unloaded if I keep it under 70 mph. Once I go over 70 the mpgs tank..

I've got just over 75,000 miles on my 13 now. Bought it brand new in early 2014 with only 56 miles on it.

I do 4-5k oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum. Use the MC 500 oil filter. I've done a drain and fill on the trans, trans case, rad and the rear diff. I know I should do the front diff too, but didn't feel like taking all those covers off! I've changed the plugs twice now. Set mine at .030 using MC plugs.

I'll be happy to get another 100,000 miles out of this thing without any major issues.. I try to deal with all the fluid maintenance stuff regularly as it's just fluids and pretty cheap in the long run..

I don't have a can, no hole, no tune, MC air filter.. Daily driver too.

I've learned a lot more after getting the Torque Pro phone app and a ODBII plug in to monitor a TON of sensors and I now know that when towing to let the engine rev around the 2000 rpm mark for the most part.. (for me that's 5th gear) and going up the grades in 4th (2500-3000 rpms) and everything stays nice and cool and running smooth with lots of pedal left if needed.. But, I don't need to fly up the grades... An easy 60 mph is just fine for me..

My specs are in my sig and I'm more than happy with it's daily and towing performance.

Mitch
    snakebitten likes this.
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchf150 View Post
    I tow a little #5000 TT and I can only manage 10 mpg on average and that's not really going faster than 65 mph. I can get 20 mpg on the hwy unloaded if I keep it under 70 mph. Once I go over 70 the mpgs tank..

I've got just over 75,000 miles on my 13 now. Bought it brand new in early 2014 with only 56 miles on it.

I do 4-5k oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum. Use the MC 500 oil filter. I've done a drain and fill on the trans, trans case, rad and the rear diff. I know I should do the front diff too, but didn't feel like taking all those covers off! I've changed the plugs twice now. Set mine at .030 using MC plugs.

I'll be happy to get another 100,000 miles out of this thing without any major issues.. I try to deal with all the fluid maintenance stuff regularly as it's just fluids and pretty cheap in the long run..

I've learned a lot more after getting the Torque Pro phone app and a ODBII plug in to monitor a TON of sensors and I now know that when towing to let the engine rev around the 2000 rpm mark for the most part.. (for me that's 5th gear) and going up the grades in 4th (2500-3000 rpms) and everything stays nice and cool and running smooth with lots of pedal left if needed.. But, I don't need to fly up the grades... An easy 60 mph is just fine for me..

My specs are in my sig and I'm more than happy with it's daily and towing performance.

Mitch
    Your method of towing is similar to mine. I’m not trying to chase down the diesels but I perceive that I once had a little more pedal. Maybe it’s all imagined, but the mileage isn’t imagined and I knew something wasn’t right before I logged the low boost condition and the truck ran perfectly fine just less power once I had a place to look I found the problem. I’m hoping if I look a little more I can find another week link and retake a little ground.
    Last edited by 2013EBF150; 06-06-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would like to go on record that I have never met you, messaged you, or prompted your reply even the LEAST bit!

Yet you immediately described your ownership experience as Lots of fresh oil AND running it hard a couple of times weekly.

Amazing!

Why? Because there is a similar description almost every time someone checks in here and announces that their truck, or their dad's, or uncle's...... Ecoboost has 200,xxx miles and is "still going strong".

I realize that what I'm suggesting isn't some kind of magic solution to a trouble free Ecoboost guarantee, since it wouldn't and couldn't address the occasional manufacturers defects that are found on some percentage of every make and model. But I don't think it's a coincidence that these Ecoboost trucks were designed to perform, and indeed suffer WELL for doing so.

That and Lots of fresh oil.

I wouldn’t say lots of oil for the first 140k I reset my OLM to 100%. So every 10k I changed the oil. Well I paid the Ford Dealer to do it for me. I will also confess a significant amount of my driving is cruising speeds. Which is much easier on a motor and transmission than stop and go. It also gets to operating temp and stays there for almost 2 hours daily. I can be a little rough on equipment though and occasionally push the limits a prime example was running it hard with my camper because I was an hour behind schedule.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    He left it stock besides tires LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That probably has a fair amount to do with it. And my tires are a whopping inch and a half taller and 10mm wider than stock so it’s almost not worth mentioning. Except it throws off the speedo by 7% and is a little extra rotating mass.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchf150 View Post

Mitch
    I failed to ask yesterday on the trans fluid. Did you see a difference with fresh fluid? Ford at one point said only severe duty required changing fluid. Have they walked that one back?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links