high transmission Temps towing 5000 pounds

This is a discussion on high transmission Temps towing 5000 pounds within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Il start back a few weeks ago from the 1st time I had this issue, so a few weeks ago I was towing the same ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: high transmission Temps towing 5000 pounds

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Il start back a few weeks ago from the 1st time I had this issue, so a few weeks ago I was towing the same trailer with the same quads out back 4 sportsman 850's and going up 7% grade up the mountains in colorado my temps shot up to 245 so I pulled over and cooled down then made it over the pass, back then I had a full race intercooler and I thought that was just blocking my trans cooler but since I was having boost issues with the full race I sold it and picked up an afe intercooler, well this weekend I went back up the mountains with same quads and the Temps started climbing to around 235ish even 240, I don't no what the deal is, it used to pull heavier loads (9000+) up smaller grades with temps around 205ish. Anybody now what could be up? I also thought that mabe the fluid Is burned up so mabe that's one of the reasons it's not cooling anymore? Anyways I dropped my truck off at Ford this morning to do a transmission flush and see what happens. I also thought of buying an afe deeper trans pan would that help too or is it just a waste?

Member #
    Liked
    1738 times
    I think it's pretty normal until you get over 240ish. I'll look for the other threads on this (it's been heavily discussed).

I'm also looking my service manual to see if it states normal temps.
    2012 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost 4x4, 3.31 Rear, 5.5 Box, Ingot Silver Metallic
    -Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Icon UCA's, Billstein 5100 Rears, Roadmaster Active Suspension
    -Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70R17, Pro-Comp 7032 17x9 -6 Offset
    -SCT x4 w/ Custom 91 Tune, S&B CAI w/ Dry Filter, Wagner CAC, Turbosmart BPV's, Full Race Catch Can, Solo Catted Downpipes, 3" custom catback
    -DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky Liners, Raptor Tans Mount, Silverstar Ultra Bulbs,
    F150Ecoboost.net Decal

Member #
    Liked
    1785 times
    I'm having issues with an 8k TT. ...last April my truck was wrecked.
    Full Race says their RADIATOR + CAC will eliminate the overheating. Now you have a radiator by them and are having issues, ....crap.
    Mine Is a 2014 XLT 4X4 BOOST. Ford did the latest PCM reflash. First thing I noticed was the transmission shift points and gear selection. Transmission doesn't get hot when the temp gauge starts to climb.
    Listen....I've been to Ford like 5 times for this issue. Even had a data recorder from Ford. Every single time the truck passed with flying colors?! And I was told that when you get the yellow screen,....everything is working per Ford (design) engineering- no worries?
    Even though I never got the screen last year pulling...its totally fine - lol :explicit:
    My next deal was to upgrade to a Full Race Radiator? Not sure now, especially since I am going to go to a 5th wheel...soon.
    Ford needs to address the cooling system for a MAX TOW F150.
    Have them up date your PCM. From their......no answers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Have you tried locking in 3rd or 4th gear and getting the rpms up? If you did what did it do?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    It was the full race intercooler not radiator.
    I don't know about normal since iv towed heavier and temps stay alot lower, I haven't tried locking it in a single gear but it would drop to 2nd and 3rd going up to the camp sight which is a deeper grade rpms up past 350p-4000 ish

Member #
    Liked
    1608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_s197 View Post
    It was the full race intercooler not radiator.
    I don't know about normal since iv towed heavier and temps stay alot lower, I haven't tried locking it in a single gear but it would drop to 2nd and 3rd going up to the camp sight which is a deeper grade rpms up past 350p-4000 ish
    I tow in the mountains all the time. The highest I have ever seen my trans temp is 213 degrees. We got back from a Glenwood Springs trip last week. I only hit 210 going west on I70 and 208 headed back to the east. All stock drivetrain and tune. I do have my trans fluid changed every 20K due to the amount of towing I do.
    Kawiguy750 likes this.
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 SRW 4x4
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Ecoboost.
    Traded my boost: 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost FX4 SuperCrew.

Should've got a V8 - Check
    Should've got a Diesel - Check
    Should've got a 1 Ton - Check
    You'll run out of payload - Not Likely

Member #
    Liked
    1785 times
    Ok....than as I have been told. The stock radiator is a problem. That is were I was going to upgrade to a Full Race Radiator.
    Love my truck, and it's a hard decision to trade or not to trade . I'm kind of stubborn,....sooo I have this obsession to correct mechanical issues. I know that once I start on this endevior it could get costly.
    When the truck is on....it's a great tow rig.
    I'm a little concerned with the mpg's last go around. 6.7mpg coming down from Flagstaff?! Wasn't like that last year towing in 115°+ from Phoenix to San Diego? I was getting at least 10mph average.
    I've got Loadlifter 5000's and a Hellwig on her and she tows smoothly.
    To change the radiator or not to change.....($650)?

Ecoboost Veteran thestrangebrew's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Highest I've seen my temp was ~224 going up hill punching it. I was passing a semi with tons of cars behind me and I was interested to see what the truck could do on this particular incline (Pacheco Pass). It was ~224 for about 5 mins then started going back down to my normal 206sih while towing. Hope you find a solution. I think I'll be looking into a tranny flush pretty soon.
    2014 F150 Tuxedo Black Super Crew Cab 4x4 with Max Tow PKG. GVWR #7700. Payload #1766. 3.73s. 157" WB. 6.5' Bed.

Ecoboost Sr Member Boost and hoes's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    There is no flush to my understanding, just drop the pan and fill back up!

Member #
    Liked
    1785 times
    Well,... I plan on towing at the max limits and its definitely going to be with my 14 F150 Boost.
    Going to spring for the Full Race Radiator.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links