Still running hot when towing - Page 24

Still running hot when towing

This is a discussion on Still running hot when towing within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by DNA Dan Did you compare to stock? Or do you just have the stant by itself? No side by side yet. Just ...

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Still running hot when towing

Member #
    Liked
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    Did you compare to stock? Or do you just have the stant by itself?
    No side by side yet. Just inspection when it arrived to check for damange, etc.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    I just bought the stock stat and the superstat to compare. I plan on performing a coolant flush prior to this year's towing season anyway. I will report back a dimensional comparison once I receive them. Like most things performance, even if it's marginal every little bit helps.
    Envious likes this.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meaz93 View Post
    I've ran a SPD 170° T from 5* for a couple years now, and like everything else I believe it helps when towing but it will not be the save all on high temps.
    I am excited to try out my new setup installed by Bad454SS!
    Once summer hits I will unplug the factory harness to fans, than plug in the added relay fan pigtails and be able to switch the fans manually full speed on/off!....meaning full blast from the get go.
    I want to add SPD Catted downpipes w/ SPD 3" Turbo adapters.
    Trying to reduce turbo/exhaust temps while gaining a pinch more grunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    I'm debating the SPD DPs for sure. They are really nice and the extra grunt would not be something i'd say no to!
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Envious View Post
    I'm debating the SPD DPs for sure. They are really nice and the extra grunt would not be something i'd say no to!
    For performance? Or reduced heat load? or both? If just for the heat load, I am actually leaning toward decoupling the oil cooler from radiator and putting in the straight hose without the diverter. Those damn oil coolers and remote takeoffs are just so expensive.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    369 times
    For performance? Or reduced heat load? or both? If just for the heat load, I am actually leaning toward decoupling the oil cooler from radiator and putting in the straight hose without the diverter. Those damn oil coolers and remote takeoffs are just so expensive.
    A little of both. I know I am the minority but I really like how our trucks sound with exhausts lol.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I like the remote setups but I can't justify that lol no matter how cool I think it is.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    369 times
    I just bought the stock stat and the superstat to compare. I plan on performing a coolant flush prior to this year's towing season anyway. I will report back a dimensional comparison once I receive them. Like most things performance, even if it's marginal every little bit helps.
    I feel like it being more linear with opening and closing will help as well. It wont cool down and just shut prohibiting coolant flow and giving it a chance to spike. I did bite the bullet and bought some Amsoil HD coolant as well. As soon as it warms up I am going to do the flush as well
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    The unique thing about the thermostat, at least for me, is that its at the entrance of the water pump as opposed to where the coolant leaves the motor like I am used too. That means that the thermostat is trying to constantly control the temperature of the coolant ENTERING the engine by modulating flow from the radiator as well as the outlet of the engine to arrive at 190°. This leads me to believe that the t-stat could have a larger effect on the coolant temps leaving the block than one might think. Instead of sending 190F coolant into the engine, you could lower it and start sending 170°F coolant into the engine, which means the engine now needs to heat that fluid an additional 20° to hit the same outlet temps.

I have a hard time believing that the coolant coming out of the radiator while towing is getting above 190F, so I kinda wonder if we still get some of the hot engine outlet coolant recirculating back through the engine on the stock t-stat. Obviously we want all the flow coming from the radiator if we are seeing excessive temps.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    I got to imagine once fully hot it's as wide open as it can be and that coolant is moving through the motor. There's just too many systems dumping heat into the coolant and instead of being a heat scavenger, the coolant becomes saturated and acts as a conduit to heat up other parts. I think divorcing those systems from the main coolant system is the way to go. The main coolant system as designed is probably barely good enough for just the engine block and the turbos - nothing more. It also doesn't help that the turbos are at the end of the line and they generate the most heat. Especially on a system with a thermostat on the supply side.

@ Mass How much of a difference has divorcing the trans cooler made for your ECT?

Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    I got to imagine once fully hot it's as wide open as it can be and that coolant is moving through the motor. There's just too many systems dumping heat into the coolant and instead of being a heat scavenger, the coolant becomes saturated and acts as a conduit to heat up other parts. I think divorcing those systems from the main coolant system is the way to go. The main coolant system as designed is probably barely good enough for just the engine block and the turbos - nothing more. It also doesn't help that the turbos are at the end of the line and they generate the most heat. Especially on a system with a thermostat on the supply side.

@ Mass How much of a difference has divorcing the trans cooler made for your ECT?
    I still hit high 220's but it was on a cooler day. I suspect I could still get to 240's on a really warm day.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    369 times
    I asked Mishimoto about a possible water pump upgrade. They said they would consider it. I think we should keep pinging them @Mishimoto lol
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links