Transmission Cooler, AFE CAC and Tune Updates - Page 2

Transmission Cooler, AFE CAC and Tune Updates

This is a discussion on Transmission Cooler, AFE CAC and Tune Updates within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by DNA Dan Maybe I missed it, but a few questions if you don't mind.. 1) What is the weight of your trailer? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Transmission Cooler, AFE CAC and Tune Updates

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but a few questions if you don't mind..

1) What is the weight of your trailer? 5500 lbs. I dont think weight is so important with a travel trailer because air drag is so huge. I doubt the difference between towing a 5000 and 7000 lb travel trailer are that much when travelling at 65mph.
    2) This is on the stock radiator? Yes, but it was fairly cool weather. I don't know if bypassing the radiator end tank is enough to keep the ECT's down in the summer.
    3) Is the excursion v10 tranny radiator the same as the larger radiator that was used in the middle-east market for the f150 which some folks have installed? I'm not sure. It is 13 rows(about 2x the height of the stock cooler) and is the same width as the stock cooler that came with my truck.

Bummer Gearhead doesn't want to modify their tune at the low gears. I have been keeping up with that thread and it seems to be the biggest negative about that tune. Others have raved about the shifting, so I'm surprised you didn't like it (although you're not the only one.) I totally get what you mean though. My current stock tune really hangs in high gears before it realizes it should downshift. Annoying as HELL. I have to do it manually to maintain my speed uphill when pulling. I don't quite understand what the hesitation is about regarding increasing power in lower gears. Is there an increased likelyhood of damage to the motor? Can this only be done by increasing boost, which affects the entire RPM range?

Thanks for the detailed followup with your setup! Definitely helps those of us that tow.
    See responses in red in your quote.

With regards to the Gearhead tune; I will still continue to use it as my daily driver. I do really like the tune for regular driving and my complaints above were strictly around towing. And its not even that its THAT bad, its just the 5Star tow tune is so much more refined.

I believe he limits torque in the lower RPM's to prevent damage but reducing ECT's may be another reason. By forcing earlier downshifts and spinning the engine faster you are also spinning the waterpump faster and reducing the required boost.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Good to hear you've gotten good results.

Too bad you can't get numbers over 85F. My truck does great below that temp, never breaks 230F ECT and tranny not over 210. Once ambient goes over 85F ambient is when I start getting up into the 240F range ECTs and 230F TFT's. Got the Saudi Arabia tranny cooler I'm going to try next year while keeping the stock radiator unit and see how it does.

My scanner doesn't do IAT2, but I did run Forscan on a long pull once. In 100F ambient temp my IAT2 was about 165-170F with the stock I/C (+70F). (on the 8-mile 6-8% grade that usually kills my truck). From what I've read, you are supposed to be down within 10-20F of ambient with a good aftermarket unit.
    The ambient temp never got above 65-67F. I dont know WTF was with the temps the truck was reporting to Torque.

I've NEVER had issues with my trans temps. Only my ECT's which is why I was trying to offload the transmission cooling for the radiator. I still think my ECT's will still get high but overall I think its better than its. I remember I towed to St George last year on a fairly cool day(~60F) and still got into the mid 230's, so seeing 224 is good.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 10-25-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    Just wanted to update this. I warped my Manifolds on my last tow so I swapped to CRP Full-bore mani's and immediately took my travel trailer out and abused the new setup.

This time I headed down to Bryce Canyon National Park. Our campsite was at ~7200' and I live at 6500' so a +700' change overall, but tons of up an downs in between. Lowest was ~4000' and highest around 8000'. Temps were between 80-85* depending on the elevation.

I was also facing a 20mph headwind with 30mph gust on the way down which was a killer. I averaged 7 mpg instead of my normal 9.5-10. At some points I had to run in 4th gear on flat stretches of highway because of the wind so the truck was working very hard.

Intercooler: It did ok. It never dropped the temps down near ambient. IAT2 pretty much ran 25-30F hotter(110F) than ambient the whole ride, but at the same time I don't think I saw it get much over 130F, which is still a lot better than stock where I would see 190F.

Transmission: Never saw it go above 208F even with the radiator end tank cooler out of the loop. This was just the larger Expedition air cooler.

Engine Coolant: I just changed the engine coolant when I did the manifolds. I dont know the exact Coolant:Water ratio since I don't know how much was left in the system after draining, but I added a 40% coolant dilution back in, so I was somewhere south of 50%. I also upgraded to the SuperStant t-stat that operates at 188F. The problem seemed to be the head wind, because just cruising along on flat road I rarely saw the coolant drop below 220F. One big climb resulted in the engine hitting its power reduction mode maybe half way up and I ended up at 50mph in the right lane with the 18 wheelers. Other climbs I was paying more attention and killed the A/C at the start of the climb and turned the heat to max. This kept it from hitting the power reduction mode but I was still hitting high 230's. If I had longer climbs I certainly would have hit power reduction mode without slowing down.

So the summary seem to be that the AFE cooler is ok, not great but better than stock. The trans cooler seems to be stout enough on its own to keep the transmission happy. The engine cooling still sucks. I don't know what will fix the engine cooling, even a larger radiator may not do it.

Oh and this was on Gearheads Tow tune. I still don't really like this tune. It isn't super strong on the low end, which is part of his approach, but the biggest issue is its downshifting schedule. It just waits and waits and waits to downshift. If you don't preemptively lockout gears as you approach the hill you will find the truck slows down as much as 5mph(especially on cruise control) because it waits so damn long to go down a gear. It was almost like the PCM hits a point in the throttle where it won't make any more power, so pushing the throttle farther doesn't buy you anything, but to trigger the downshift you have to push the throttle much farther then the point where the truck stops making anymore power. It just feels unnatural and ****ty. I basically shifted for the truck the whole way home. I would lock out 6th as I started a climb and lockout 5th if it got steep. I started to watch the speedometer and if it started to drop i would shift for it.

This is where the 5Star tune shines. They have their transmission shifting so well sync'd with the power curve that it just always seems to be in the right gear. I don't even care that the Gearhead tune makes less power at lower RPM, as long as it would shift seamlessly.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 06-10-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    D0ncH likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Did the tip-in improve on the GH tune at all with the new exhaust manifolds? My butt dyno tells me that I have little more power in the lower RPM range than before. The pedal seems a bit more jumpy off the line. This is on a stock tune however. Perhaps a custom tune will make better use of the manifolds?

The FR radiator helped with the cooling situation, but wasn't a panacea to fix the hot issue. Still need to remove more heat from the motor. I would start looking at oil cooling next, or even the high speed fan mod for when pulling grades.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times

Transmission Cooler, AFE CAC and Tune Updates

Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    Did the tip-in improve on the GH tune at all with the new exhaust manifolds? My butt dyno tells me that I have little more power in the lower RPM range than before. The pedal seems a bit more jumpy off the line. This is on a stock tune however. Perhaps a custom tune will make better use of the manifolds?

The FR radiator helped with the cooling situation, but wasn't a panacea to fix the hot issue. Still need to remove more heat from the motor. I would start looking at oil cooling next, or even the high speed fan mod for when pulling grades.
    I really haven’t noticed anything. I was using 5Stars tunes up until the manifold warped and they are noticeably stouter on the low end anyways. I used GH tune for towing specifically because of the softer bottom end and the fear of blowing something else up, but i dont know that i can deal with it.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Mass, what RPM's are you holding while climbing?
    2014 FX4 screw, max tow, 3.73, 402a, 5.5', Unleashed 91 & 93, Wagner CAC, solo res DP's, DO water meth inj, Helwig RSB, Bilstein 5100's, 275/60/20 Duratracs, Blizzak DMV2's (winter)

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    Mass, what RPM's are you holding while climbing?
    On big climbs, 3500+ rpm. Usually 4th but have dropped to 3rd here and there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links