Air bag mistake (maybe)

Air bag mistake (maybe)

This is a discussion on Air bag mistake (maybe) within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Took the trailer for its first tow about a month ago and was pleasantly pleased. I knew going into this I was going to have ...

Member #

Air bag mistake (maybe)

Took the trailer for its first tow about a month ago and was pleasantly pleased. I knew going into this I was going to have to modify to get the towing experience that I want, and I have never left anything I owned stock.

I have researched about airbags but never could make up my mind on which set to get. I know some had the ride control 2000 and like it, others had the 5000 and switched back to the ride control 2000 because of the ride. Others didn't like the ultimates, because of the internal bump stops hitting all the time.

I had all in my cart at Stage 3 and still couldn't make up my mind. At the last minute, I opted for the heavy duty compressor and the 5000's without the internal bump stop. After it shipped, I realized that I ordered the ride control 2000.

My current trailer is about 36 feet long 8000 lbs empty and about 8800-9500 lbs loaded depending on the trip. We are going to sell this trailer and looking at a for a 30 feet long and 7500 loaded trailer. I also ordered the Bilstein 5100 front lift shocks and will be installing new LT tires before heavy camping starts soon in a month or so. I tow with a Hensley Arrow hitch.

I came from a 2005 F350 dually so, the ride getting a little worse is not that big of a deal.

I just want some input if people here would send back the ride control and get the ride rites or Firestone 5000s?

Thanks for any opinions.

Member #
    Liked
    1709 times
    I'm not sure why any OP is complaining about the Loadlifter Ultimate 5000's hitting the bump stops? Never Ever had that happen even with 0psi in them...and the ride on my 14` is not harsh at all? I pull a 9k+ dry 38' TT and absolutely swear by the bags.
    I had a set of Firestone's that hit metal on metal when the bags were very low....those had to go!
    For me bagging it is the only way to go and throw on a Hellwig to boot...no more having that TT "worked" when passing a semi.
    R rated truck tires are a must also when towing heavy IMO.
    Camping season is upon us

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1709 times
    My bad E rated tires!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    958 times
    I wouldn't send back the RideControls. They are plenty capable of supporting any load you should be putting on your truck and I too often hear people complain about the 5000's riding like crap.

For example, my truck has a 4050 lb rear axle rating and when I scaled the truck totally empty I had 2700 lbs on the rear axle. That means I can only load 1350 lbs on to the axle without exceeding the rating. A set of ride controls can support an additional 650 lbs of weight over what my rear axle is rated for. I highly doubt that your situation would be much different.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 03-13-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Air bags will deffo help esp with saggy butt syndrome when towing. I have the 2000 and stayed away from the 5000 due to several reviews of rough rides and me throwing a lot more in the bed then axles will allow. “Looks level, throw more in there”. The vehicle deffo has the power to pull it. However, the aluminum body and crappy oem struts will lead to sway issues, esp when towing something that large. Keep the bags, they help. And yes, get a smaller trailer. I have a 35er that weighs 10k loaded.... 8+ mph winds and my comfort level is somewhere between 50-60mph on the highway, white knuckling when I see a semi about to pass me. This f150 is the best in its class for towing, if you can’t pull it with this, you may wanna move up to a larger truck.
    2016 3.5 EB SCREW | INGOT SILVER | XLT 302A | CHR APPEAR PKG | MAX TOW PKG | 3.55 E-LOCK | 4x4 | WEATHER TECH DIGI FIT | LINEX PREMIUM | UWS LOW PRO | HUSKY WELL LINER | FUEL HOSTAGE III 18X9 | BFG KO2 305 65 18 | BILSTEIN 5100 x4 @ 1.75" | POWERSTOP Z36 KIT X4 | AIRLIFT RIDE CONTROL | UPR DVCC/CSCC | AEM DROP IN

Member #
    Thanks for the replies. When I originally started researching airbags, I picked the ride controls. My "more is better" syndrome took over and I ended up wanting the 5000's (I had a set on a 7.3 Excursion). When the ride controls showed up, I was just wondering if I had made a mistake and got too light of a system.

I did install the Ride Controls. I have not had any problem with them at all. Installation of the Load Controller compressor was a different animal. I have also installed the load range E LT tires and the rear 5100 bilsteins. The Fronts are going to wait a bit. So far the ride is not bad. MPG took a nose dive with the tires, but it's still way better than the dually I was used to driving. Both in ride and mpg.

Again, thanks for the posts.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I picked up some SumoSprings this winter for my new camper. I have not pulled the camper yet, but I did have about 1300lbs of ceramic tile and bathroom remodeling supplies in the bed and my truck looked perfectly level. It actually rode better with the weight in the back than my truck ever has. Right now I am running the 1" spacer and it is a little stiff when unloaded because the springs are right above the axel. It feels closer to a super duty ride. I am going to try a half inch spacer. I think that will be perfect.

These springs work great so far and I never need to mess with adding or removing air pressure. Extremely easy to install too.

I have never tried airbags to compare.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    You will never put 5k (i hope not at least) in the bed of a f150 so they are over kill that tend to stiffen the ride even almost deflated. The 2k's will support your payload alone likely, and at low pressure have very little effect on ride. you do no want to take all the squat out with the bags, and you will have to readjust your hitch after you set the bags up as the bars rely on some suspension compression to act as levers. I have 1k+ lb of TW and run 15lb in the bags, just enough to help with bottoming out on our crap roads.
    2017 Supercrew 6.5' 4x4 3.5EB.

Sponsored Links