Is it us, the truck, or the trailer--porpoising and/or swaying? - Page 4

Is it us, the truck, or the trailer--porpoising and/or swaying?

This is a discussion on Is it us, the truck, or the trailer--porpoising and/or swaying? within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; My f150 had the wandering issue...fixed with software update....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is it us, the truck, or the trailer--porpoising and/or swaying?

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    My f150 had the wandering issue...fixed with software update.
    snakebitten and Kinguni like this.
    2015 F150 XL sCab Sport 4x2, Race Red, 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.73 E-lock, Tow package, Integrated trailer brake controller, Bizon tri-fold tonneau, OEM drop-in bedliner, otherwise stock

If more restrictive gun laws were the answer, then Chicago and California would be the safest places to live.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3061 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Thanks for reporting.
    Care to elaborate just a little?

It could help someone who is at their wits-end.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Since I haven't experienced it, maybe it was fixed by the time the 18's came out?

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3061 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
    Since I haven't experienced it, maybe it was fixed by the time the 18's came out?
    I don't think that's how we should look at it.

Just my opinion but I believe there are operational tolerances, or parameters, for the steering mechanism.

Maybe because of manufacturing or assembly, some trucks are operating outside these parameters? And in this case, crossing some threshold of tolerance is dramatic in its affect. (consider how drastic a worn front tire, or a toe adjustment out of tolerance.... It's a very critical tolerance once crossed)

I wish I knew more about the exact components, mechanical and software, that combine to provide good stability and steering, so that I could be specific.

Kinguni likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I don't think that's how we should look at it.

Just my opinion but I believe there are operational tolerances, or parameters, for the steering mechanism.

Maybe because of manufacturing or assembly, some trucks are operating outside these parameters? And in this case, crossing some threshold of tolerance is dramatic in its affect. (consider how drastic a worn front tire, or a toe adjustment out of tolerance.... It's a very critical tolerance once crossed)

I wish I knew more about the exact components, mechanical and software, that combine to provide good stability and steering, so that I could be specific.
    I had my alignment thrown out by my IWE check valve failing. It was very noticeable and very immediate. Seem to be pretty tight tolerances.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Thanks for reporting.
    Care to elaborate just a little?

It could help someone who is at their wits-end.

My steering issue was nothing real serious. It seemed it took constant attention and correction to keep the truck going straight. Occasionally, it would pull to the right...nothing dangerous, but just a nuisance. My dealer updated the software with the latest version, and it's much better...but still not perfect. I can live with it.
    2015 F150 XL sCab Sport 4x2, Race Red, 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.73 E-lock, Tow package, Integrated trailer brake controller, Bizon tri-fold tonneau, OEM drop-in bedliner, otherwise stock

If more restrictive gun laws were the answer, then Chicago and California would be the safest places to live.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    snakebitten likes this.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3061 times
    Thanks TomD

That's an excellent resource for this discussion.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    So getting back to the hitch thing, I just wanted to add if I hadn't already, that my experience with my particular RV dealer in setting up my hitch on this truck as well as the last one hasn't always been the most stellar. The best thing anyone can do is read up on the internet the many threads describing the WDH setup and weight distribution in the truck/trailer. In my case I've found the most knowledgeable people to setup a wdh properly at the dealer are the ones that set up "newbis" the first time out. Any service manager or write up type guy typically doesn't get it.

I had one guy, who was a manager come out....must have been like the oldest guy in the place, and he had no clue despite storys of all his years of experience. He just kept cranking up the WDH bars a link at a time until they bowed incredibly at one point and he busted his knuckle trying to do it. Ten minutes later a kid in his 20's comes out..apparently with a bit more knowledge in the area...shaking his head at what this guy did. I told him what i expected, and how I expected it to work, and he brought it back 30 min later just how I wanted it.

Sorry to derail the steering pull drift thing lol.
    snakebitten and SENDIT like this.
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links