Tow/Haul or not to Tow/Haul

This is a discussion on Tow/Haul or not to Tow/Haul within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; 2016 F150 SCrew 2.7Eb stone stock. I did not buy this truck to tow with, but when a deal came along, I jumped on a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thewheelman
  • 1 Post By mwemaxxowner

Thread: Tow/Haul or not to Tow/Haul

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

2016 F150 SCrew 2.7Eb stone stock. I did not buy this truck to tow with, but when a deal came along, I jumped on a used Coachman Clipper 17FQ--2731 lbs dry, 292 lbs tongue weight. We've pulled a couple of times and it seems to handle the camper well. I did add brake control to the truck. A few weeks ago, we escaped the miserable KY winter for Gulf Shores for a week. Nice pull down and back. Truck seemed to do well.

On the way down I did NOT engage the tow/haul mode and the truck performed well, stayed in 5th a lot and averaged about 8 mpg. On the way back I DID engage the tow/haul mode and the truck performed well, stayed in 5th a lot and averaged about 8 mpg. Except for the tow/haul downshifts going down hill, I could not tell the difference. A friend tells me that the tow/haul will save my transmission by changing the electronic parameters for shifting. ?

What does tow/haul do for me? I cannot tell the difference in mileage or performance......

In a couple of months, we are heading west from KY--Mt. Rushmore, Little Bighorn, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons, etc. So, my question is to tow/haul or not to tow/haul?

Thanks in advance!
    Hal

'16 F150 2.7 Ecoboost "RUBY TT"
    '13 E150 Executive Limo Conversion "WHLMAN"
    '13 Kia Optima "ORG COM"
    '07 GT 500 Convertible "FLYBYU"

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    329 times
    Personally I hate tow haul (2018 2.7 with 10 speed). I instead tow in sport mode. I find the downshifting less aggressive, and it feels to me that the anti-sway programming is also not as aggressive. I lock out 10th and usually 9th.

Im towing a 30 foot tt, 6400lbs dry.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    I turn mine on and off as the terrain requires.. I don't really like it for going down hill... It downshifts too far with every brake application. I can control the speed of the truck without it downshifting every time i touch the brake!

I usually engage it when going up the hills and when cruising on the flat.

Just depends for me.

Good luck!

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitchf150; 03-25-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Name:  Travel Trailer 1.jpeg
Views: 201
Size:  163.9 KBThanks for the responses so far! This is what she looks like on the road.....
    meaz93 likes this.
    Hal

'16 F150 2.7 Ecoboost "RUBY TT"
    '13 E150 Executive Limo Conversion "WHLMAN"
    '13 Kia Optima "ORG COM"
    '07 GT 500 Convertible "FLYBYU"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Tow/haul holds the gears longer and shifts are firmer. It will not hurt your truck to not use it unless it is hunting for gears. Iíve found that itís sometimes too aggressive for lighter loads but on big loads it performs well.

Member #
    Liked
    1816 times
    I really appreciate the 5* 91 perf/tow tune....its really dialed in and I was told to always use tow/haul when towing with it.
    It works for me especially downhill shifts with a 9k TT stocking me-lol....I like how she will drop down gears by barely tapping the brake-truely scrubs the speed when I need it the most!
    I have the 3:73's so my Boost does not hunt for gears (only 6 speed trans) so I never need to lock out.
    I think what works best for you, but again my tuner preferred i use tow/haul mode.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3621 times
    I personally love the aggressive downshifting of tow/haul when towing. I think it serves a great purpose, and mimics closely what I would have been doing with my old zf-6. When I towed from Ohio to SC through the Smokies with my 2.7 near the tippy top of my towing capacity, the downshifting kept my speed nice and tidy going downhill without needing to ride my brakes much at all. For a half ton with so little engine to offer engine braking, I was quite pleased with the ability to maintain a LOW speed going DOWN. I have never towed much through the mountains, and the curves combined with the grades makes me nervous, so I was happy to stay in the right at 55 going down.

If you're tuned, there is no reason not to get the downshifting while towing edited to suit your personal preference.

These are custom tunes, not set and forget. Get it customized!

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
    Last edited by mwemaxxowner; 03-26-2019 at 05:41 AM.
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I have towed about 5,000 miles with my 2.7L/6 speed/3.73 gears, and hove notice very little difference between tow mode and no tow mode...except for the downshifting on grades. I usually tow in non tow mode and lock out 6th gear...keeps the turbos from working hard which helps engine temps and mpg.

I'm old school with about 40 years of towing experience...doesn't make me an expert, just an old geezer. If I need downhill engine braking, I can down shift the transmission myself, and get the amount of engine braking I'm comfortable with.

YMMV
    2015 F150 XL sCab Sport 4x2, Race Red, 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.73 E-lock, Tow package, Integrated trailer brake controller, Bizon tri-fold tonneau, OEM drop-in bedliner, otherwise stock

If more restrictive gun laws were the answer, then Chicago and California would be the safest places to live.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Don't use tow haul and don't find much engine braking either. 3.5 liters just does not have the displacement to offer much compression braking, oh and why do they call it compression braking? Or is that just old school?
    Cheers,
    Jim
    2014 FX4 screw, Ruby Red, 402A, 3.55, 5.5, factory spray in bed liner, LT tires, BAKflip VP, custom engine, air and fuse box covers, Custom Cab, Ford mud flaps

Member #
    Liked
    1167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meaz93 View Post
    I really appreciate the 5* 91 perf/tow tune....its really dialed in and I was told to always use tow/haul when towing with it.
    It works for me especially downhill shifts with a 9k TT stocking me-lol....I like how she will drop down gears by barely tapping the brake-truely scrubs the speed when I need it the most!
    I have the 3:73's so my Boost does not hunt for gears (only 6 speed trans) so I never need to lock out.
    I think what works best for you, but again my tuner preferred i use tow/haul mode.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Agree'd. 5Star's tow/haul mode is just about perfect. I keep it on the whole time. Once in a while, after a big hill, it will hang in 4th a little longer than I would like and I have to flip T/H off briefly.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Sponsored Links