another confused idiot help needed!

This is a discussion on another confused idiot help needed! within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; first off sorry I am so confused, I am trying to figure out what I can tow safely. the truck is a 2018 f150 3.5eco, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: another confused idiot help needed!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

first off sorry I am so confused, I am trying to figure out what I can tow safely. the truck is a 2018 f150 3.5eco, 4x4, short box,XLT, max tow, off road. so the TT I am looking at is 5600 dry with a tongue weight of 609, I do have a WDH, air bags, 34" ko2, icon stage 2( upper control arms, 2.5 coilers, 2.5 rear shocks. I am trying to see if I can tow this with out to much problems, and possibly my dirt bike WR250f 300lbs, I also have a 150lbs generator, a small wife and two 40lbs dogs. what do you all think I know I got the power to pull it but will the truck be under too much stress? I tried looking at all the GVW numbers and short of buying the trailer and bring it to the scales I don't know?
    plz help me out!!!!
    thanks you

ps the white truck in the pic was totaled so that ant the truck
    Last edited by RobG253; 03-25-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    34" on 20", icon stage 2, full LEDs, Nfab light bar

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Your only concern will be payload. Drivers door jamb yellow and white sticker. It’ll show you what your exact truck is setup for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2637 times
    Your door jamb has a yellow sticker that tells you what your cargo capacity for your truck is. Add your tongue weight, everything you put in the bed, all your passengers, and your fuel tank full.

If it's less than the yellow tag says, your good to go!

Based on your description, you have plenty of truck. You certainly have the power to roll.

Get that hitch configured properly and I bet you will even enjoy that haul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    BobRoss likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Without seeing the numbers on the the door I think youd be close but probably ok. The power is definitely not an issue.
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    thanks, looking at the sticker i am good
    SENDIT likes this.
    34" on 20", icon stage 2, full LEDs, Nfab light bar

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Just one more thing, Pay attention to your loaded tongue weight, that can vary a lot and that could put you over. Again I dont know the spec on your truck so hopefully its a non issue
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Scales tell the true tale. From what you describe, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you have a scale close, I'd load it up for the first trip and take it there. I honestly can't say what air bags/shocks/springs do for towing other than improving the ride, so with that said your issue is going to be payload. I'm guessing it is somewhere around 2000?

Ok sorry I just re-read your post. I'm leaving the above because I feel like your going to pull the trigger on the trailer anyways. That said, I've given 200 lbs for you, 100 lbs for the wife, and 26 gallons of fuel (not including the dirtbike and generator). That puts you at 1595 lbs. Drop on another 12 lbs for those, and another 100lbs for gas. 1707. Now you load the trailer up with gear, food, "stuff", and lets say your tongue weight goes up to 840 (15% of 5600), that would put you at 1938 of payload.

If your payload is 2000 lbs, that works, but your pretty maxed out. That said maybe all the work you have done helps with that, I dunno. In the end, you might have to ditch items like the generator or dirtbike. Water is 8 lbs per gallon, in case you plan on hauling that with you. It wouldn't change payload one to one (if its water in the tank of trailer) other than it will increase tongue weight (by how much depends on how much water and where the tank is located).

I know in your minds eye it all seems like no problem, its only after you truly add up the numbers that you see where the problems arise. Likely your tongue weight won't be 840, and even if it is, your still within payload (if your sticker says 2000 lbs).
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
    Scales tell the true tale. From what you describe, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you have a scale close, I'd load it up for the first trip and take it there. I honestly can't say what air bags/shocks/springs do for towing other than improving the ride, so with that said your issue is going to be payload. I'm guessing it is somewhere around 2000?

Ok sorry I just re-read your post. I'm leaving the above because I feel like your going to pull the trigger on the trailer anyways. That said, I've given 200 lbs for you, 100 lbs for the wife, and 26 gallons of fuel (not including the dirtbike and generator). That puts you at 1595 lbs. Drop on another 12 lbs for those, and another 100lbs for gas. 1707. Now you load the trailer up with gear, food, "stuff", and lets say your tongue weight goes up to 840 (15% of 5600), that would put you at 1938 of payload.

If your payload is 2000 lbs, that works, but your pretty maxed out. That said maybe all the work you have done helps with that, I dunno. In the end, you might have to ditch items like the generator or dirtbike. Water is 8 lbs per gallon, in case you plan on hauling that with you. It wouldn't change payload one to one (if its water in the tank of trailer) other than it will increase tongue weight (by how much depends on how much water and where the tank is located).

I know in your minds eye it all seems like no problem, its only after you truly add up the numbers that you see where the problems arise. Likely your tongue weight won't be 840, and even if it is, your still within payload (if your sticker says 2000 lbs).
    I am pretty sure payload has already factored in fluids. It is based on the wet vehicle weight, not the dry.

Member #
    Liked
    948 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    I am pretty sure payload has already factored in fluids. It is based on the wet vehicle weight, not the dry.
    It absolutely is. My truck, fully gassed up and ready to go, came in 20 lbs under the sticker. That was also with 33" duratracs, airbags and a catch can installed.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2637 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    That would be great news, but not what I had always figured. If 36 gallons of fuel are NOT counted against my yellow sticker, it's a sweet margin I never knew I had.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    SENDIT and Blown F-150 like this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links