Upgrading my ecoboost towing capabilities - Page 2

Upgrading my ecoboost towing capabilities

This is a discussion on Upgrading my ecoboost towing capabilities within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Mulyhuntr Ding ding ding. Hit the nail on the head. All that money spent and could've just upgraded to a proper tow ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Upgrading my ecoboost towing capabilities

Member #
    Liked
    1075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulyhuntr View Post
    Ding ding ding. Hit the nail on the head. All that money spent and could've just upgraded to a proper tow rig.

Also, IMO larger capacity trans pan and diff cover do nothing for cooling other than delay the inevitable.
    My truck gets hot towing a 5500 GVWR trailer, litterally half of my rated tow capacity, does that mean i should upgrade to a HD.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    My truck gets hot towing a 5500 GVWR trailer, litterally half of my rated tow capacity, does that mean i should upgrade to a HD.
    If you don't want to deal with overheating, then yes.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3056 times
    Touché

But every towing Ecoboost doesn't overheat.
    Or, for the specific circumstances that do start to throw a lot of heat, the driver can make some "adjustments to demand" in order to keep the truck within safe parameters.

Inconvenient at that moment, but makes the SD upgrade unnecessary.

Honestly, 7 or 8 years ago I would definitely have an F250 doing what I now do with an F150. And not even consider it a negative. But man today's F150 has ruined me. I want my cake &...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Kinguni likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    It all comes down to the environment these EcoBeasts are operating in. I can run 10k in 47 minutes in 27°C temps. Now put me in 40°C temps and I would be lucky to run 5k without having problems. I have a 2017, 3.5 EcoBoost with every towing option I could get at the time, including the Max towing Package and it is rated for 11600lbs . As you can see in the picture we currently have snow! So our temps don't get that high. I tow our 7600lbs Jayco camper over 2300kms every summer. My wife and I are teachers so we have 9 weeks off each summer and we camp over 45 days each summer. I have pulled that camper up 4km long 12% grades in 32°C heat and had no issues! My trans temp has hit 205 on one occasion and I was on the 12% grade holding af 110km/h. These trucks are amazing work horses but when used in extreme heat we need to give them a hand. If I was operating in the extream temperature you are I would have to upgrade the cooling components too. Honestly, I would just trade it in for a f250 and be done with the issues. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WooBoost View Post
    I have read numerous times the weight of steel body helps a lot vs alum. Alum gets pushed around more.
    Hmmm...Wonder where ya read that...on the Internet? Must be true.
    2015 F150 XL sCab Sport 4x2, Race Red, 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.73 E-lock, Tow package, Integrated trailer brake controller, Bizon tri-fold tonneau, OEM drop-in bedliner, otherwise stock

If more restrictive gun laws were the answer, then Chicago and California would be the safest places to live.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3056 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WooBoost View Post
    I have read numerous times the weight of steel body helps a lot vs alum. Alum gets pushed around more.
    I could see that when compared to a lighter truck. But a steel truck isn't heavier than a loaded aluminum truck.

I know what you are saying and I think you know what I'm trying to say.

My 2012 Screw feels heavier when it's empty than my 2018. And I admit it holds itself against the wind gusts a bit better than the oem 18. Or it felt that way from the drivers seat. But when I had passengers and stuff in the cargo box of the 18, just like every light duty vehicle you can feel the weight. And if the suspension isn't burdened, the additional weight adds a bit of stability, in a straight line anyways.

What I will add though is that I still think the aluminum trucks come with a noticeable difference in oem dampening. While the earlier trucks didn't come with high quality shocks and struts, they just seemed to ride more like a truck, even when empty. These aluminum trucks are so dang soft for a truck.

I think that might have more to do with the impression they get pushed around more.

Don't know if that's all of the reason, but it sure seems like a good chunk of it. Throw some good dampers on the Aluminum and I think they are just as stable or more than the oem steel.

Blown F-150 likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    1075 times
    Sounds reasonable. I should sacrifice all the benefits of a 1/2 ton and take the loss trading on an HD instead of improving the truck I have?
    Last edited by mass-hole; 03-29-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    1075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Touché

But every towing Ecoboost doesn't overheat.
    Or, for the specific circumstances that do start to throw a lot of heat, the driver can make some "adjustments to demand" in order to keep the truck within safe parameters.

Inconvenient at that moment, but makes the SD upgrade unnecessary.

Honestly, 7 or 8 years ago I would definitely have an F250 doing what I now do with an F150. And not even consider it a negative. But man today's F150 has ruined me. I want my cake &...

It seems to be high temperatures at elevation, which is 100% understandable. At 6500' my truck is making the same HP it does at sea level based on the Airflow PID, even on the stock tune. There is not one other engine in the half ton market that can do that. You go to 6500' and you just lost 20% of your cooling air mass flowing through the radiator. You lose 30% by 11,000 ft.

So for Ford to have made this truck stay cool 100% of the time, they would have had to have overbuild the cooling system by like 100%.

Member #
    Liked
    1075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Hmmm...Wonder where ya read that...on the Internet? Must be true.
    Mass is mass. The more mass you have, the more force is required to accelerate it. If you have the same trailer you have the same force.

Member #
    Liked
    1075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I could see that when compared to a lighter truck. But a steel truck isn't heavier than a loaded aluminum truck.

I know what you are saying and I think you know what I'm trying to say.

My 2012 Screw feels heavier when it's empty than my 2018. And I admit it holds itself against the wind gusts a bit better than the oem 18. Or it felt that way from the drivers seat. But when I had passengers and stuff in the cargo box of the 18, just like every light duty vehicle you can feel the weight. And if the suspension isn't burdened, the additional weight adds a bit of stability, in a straight line anyways.

What I will add though is that I still think the aluminum trucks come with a noticeable difference in oem dampening. While the earlier trucks didn't come with high quality shocks and struts, they just seemed to ride more like a truck, even when empty. These aluminum trucks are so dang soft for a truck.

I think that might have more to do with the impression they get pushed around more.

Don't know if that's all of the reason, but it sure seems like a good chunk of it. Throw some good dampers on the Aluminum and I think they are just as stable or more than the oem steel.

I don't believe that is true. A supercrew 4x4 6.5' bed ecoboost had a base curb weight of 58xx lbs in 2014. I don't think I have ever seen any 2015+ scale over 5700. That would be 1300 lbs of payload on a 2015 which is unheard of. My truck scales in at just shy of 6200 lbs and I only have a Lariat. A platinum 6.2L would be 6400-6500 lbs which is absurd for a half ton truck.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 03-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links