Acquired a diesel tractor

This is a discussion on Acquired a diesel tractor within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; My grandfather said I can use his diesel tractor anytime I want itís a blue holland with enclosed cab and front bucket he said it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tvsjr

Thread: Acquired a diesel tractor

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

My grandfather said I can use his diesel tractor anytime I want itís a blue holland with enclosed cab and front bucket he said it ways about 6-7,000lbs the trailer I have is 2,200ish so letís says worse case senario 9,200lbs max I have the heavy tow package and factory sway control, electric trailer brakes module factory, Iíve towed the trailer and my Willyís about 4,200lbs and it was like the trailer wasnít back there Iíve read that 9,200 is a little different I ordered air bags for the rear that should be all the extra I need right? When I got my truck it had everything extra for towing factory except the tow mirrors and 3.73 gears I have a 2012 screw 4x4 lariat 3.55 electric rear locker. Hitch says Iím good for 10,500 with a weight distribution hitch but the guy at the frame shop said air bags will do the trick with a weigh safe ball to keep the tongue weight right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2521 times
    Does tapatalk not have a "period" button?

Look up the specs on the tractor to know for sure what you're getting yourself into. If you get over 10k pounds (I'm trying to remember if that's equipment only, or equipment + trailer), you enter into a different realm of tie-down requirements - chain and binders required, plus a chain for each implement, even the implements attached to the tractor. You don't want to get a State Trooper on your butt for improperly secured load. Me personally, I'd use chain and binders on that tractor even if it's not required by law.

I know this wasn't the question, but something to keep in the back of your mind.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    The only way to know for certain if you're legal is to weigh the truck and trailer. It's easy math from there. You're going to be pushing it... and, if you're in TX, the last thing you want is a License and Weight trooper sitting behind you...

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    329 times
    How big of tractor? HP wise.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    Does tapatalk not have a "period" button?

Look up the specs on the tractor to know for sure what you're getting yourself into. If you get over 10k pounds (I'm trying to remember if that's equipment only, or equipment + trailer), you enter into a different realm of tie-down requirements - chain and binders required, plus a chain for each implement, even the implements attached to the tractor. You don't want to get a State Trooper on your butt for improperly secured load. Me personally, I'd use chain and binders on that tractor even if it's not required by law.

I know this wasn't the question, but something to keep in the back of your mind.
    Sorry, Iím trying to get better at typing educate. And itís 10,000lbs max for both trailer and tractor. And I didnít know about the tie downs, I have 2 10,000lb straps, but my dad has the metal ones you are talking about with the chains I will go get them.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    The only way to know for certain if you're legal is to weigh the truck and trailer. It's easy math from there. You're going to be pushing it... and, if you're in TX, the last thing you want is a License and Weight trooper sitting behind you...
    Luckily there is a scale maybe 5 miles from his house to weigh the truck, truck and trailer, and all 3 I donít think itís a lot of money anyways to pay to use the scales.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Make sure you use a good weigh distributing hitch and keep track of your air in your tires. If you don't already have E range tires I highly recommend them. For an equipment trailer I personally like the Anderson No Sway system. Most guys on here have luck with the bar type as well. The weight wont be an issue I dont think just dont try to drive like Mario Andretti lol.
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecobeast matt View Post
    Luckily there is a scale maybe 5 miles from his house to weigh the truck, truck and trailer, and all 3 I don’t think it’s a lot of money anyways to pay to use the scales.

You'll want to pay close attention to axle weights... you're probably most likely to exceed the rear GAWR first, by loading the trailer slightly tongue-heavy. Once you get it figured out and load the tongue to the proper 10-15%, mark the tractor and trailer so you know where to park the tractor in the future.
    Ecobeast matt likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I can't speak for the area you are in. But, around here if you go to a grain elevator and talk nicely to them they will let you scale for free. They won't have a split scale (to weigh axles separately) but you can get a good idea of where you are at without and with load. Also, make sure you have tires with good enough load rating.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3615 times
    I'm fortunate to work for a trucking company, I have 24/7 access to our scales free.

However, prior to that, I discovered that if I talk nicely to them, the local landfill AND the local scrap yard will let me use their scales free of charge.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Sponsored Links