Is my trailer too big? - Page 2

Is my trailer too big?

This is a discussion on Is my trailer too big? within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Thanks for all the input/info. Hitch is a Fastway E2 round bar, rated for 1000 tongue and 10000 trailer. Closest Bilstein dealer is 180 miles ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is my trailer too big?

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Thanks for all the input/info. Hitch is a Fastway E2 round bar, rated for 1000 tongue and 10000 trailer. Closest Bilstein dealer is 180 miles away at a place that caters to Mercedes Benz. Hmmmm. Trailer has 2 propane tanks at 20# each, and 1 Interstate marine battery. Hankook tires were about 2-3 pounds under recommended pressure. No idea where the tanks are, as the bottom has a "cover". Trailer is a rear kitchen, queen bed in the front.
    2018 Guard (WTH kinda name is that for a color) * F-150 XLT S/Crew 2.7 * 3.55 rear * Trailer Tow Package * 18" Hankook's * Pro Backup Assist * Tailgate Step * Running Boards * Fog Lights * stubby antenna * full BedRug * Gator Tonneau * windows tinted dark as legal in Florida *

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    You probably just need to adjust your WDH. When I bought my trailer the place loaded up my Toyota Sequoia and not only was the WDH not adjusted properly, but the tow vehicle couldn't even handle the trailer. Those places don't care. The responsibility to tow safely falls squarely on the driver who is pulling the coach. Most coach dealers just want to make the sale. You sign the paper, and BAM, it's your problem. That's really their logic.

I think you'll find even when adjusted properly, the E2 is just okay. It's not a 4-point sway control hitch, which would theoretically offer more sway control. You said sway wasn't really an issue, so adjust the hitch to transfer more weight to the front axle and see how it rides. Hit a scale as others mentioned so you aren't guessing on weight.
    Last edited by DNA Dan; 04-23-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    1097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfla View Post
    Thanks for all the input/info. Hitch is a Fastway E2 round bar, rated for 1000 tongue and 10000 trailer. Closest Bilstein dealer is 180 miles away at a place that caters to Mercedes Benz. Hmmmm. Trailer has 2 propane tanks at 20# each, and 1 Interstate marine battery. Hankook tires were about 2-3 pounds under recommended pressure. No idea where the tanks are, as the bottom has a "cover". Trailer is a rear kitchen, queen bed in the front.
    Order the Bilsteins from Stage3motorsports make sure you get the right ones for your truck(2wd or 4wd). These are for a 4wd: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/15...Shock-Kit.html

Or one of the other vendors. You can do the rears yourself in like 10 minutes if you have a wrench. Its two bolts and very easy to get too.

The fronts you could do yourself, but if your not up for it, any local shop should be able to install them as its pretty much just like any other shock assembly.

If you don't want to pay for all of them, get the rears. They are the most important in my opinion and offer the most stability, especially towing.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 04-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2516 times
    Ha. My wife and I are 345 pounds combined... I account for 71% of that!

I have nothing else to add. Just to say that I need to lose about 35 pounds. lol
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post

I have nothing else to add. Just to say that I need to lose about 35 pounds. lol
    lmao. You are as bad as me today.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I'm not sure how one adjusts the fastway, but the same rules apply regarding the measuring of the wheel wells. As for the tire PSI, I wasn't referring to the recommended pressure as printed on the inside of the drivers side door, but rather the maximum pressure as printed on the sidewall. I'm sure not everyone does this, and I'm betting that everyone has a reason for either doing this or not. Its just how it has always been recommended to me in the times I have inquired about it. But there are many things I do, check temps of tires and rims etc, that many also do or don't do.

Most report that when the tires are inflated to the max PSI for towing, that it gave them a more "solid and stable" feel. Again, you have to do your own research, and trial to determine what you like and are comfortable with. FWIW, when I inflate the pressures, I always do it in the morning when the tires are cold. Knowing that once I start down the road, they are going to heat up, and along with that the PSI as well. So for me, I feel more comfortable leaving a little room in there for that, so my warning lights don't go off. If they do, I will monitor the PSI as I go, but I won't adjust pressures until I can again when the tires are cold. The only exception to that is if the pressure indicated is high enough to make me nervous, which I think only happened once, the first time I started doing this. I also trust my manual gauge and not the readout on the dash...but they are typically pretty close.

I treat the trailer tires the same way, other than I don't air them back down after we get home from a trip, like I do the truck tires. Its a little more difficult with them to check pressure during a trip, unless yours came with tpms sensors.
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post

Right there with you. I'm about 65% of our total.
    2018 Guard (WTH kinda name is that for a color) * F-150 XLT S/Crew 2.7 * 3.55 rear * Trailer Tow Package * 18" Hankook's * Pro Backup Assist * Tailgate Step * Running Boards * Fog Lights * stubby antenna * full BedRug * Gator Tonneau * windows tinted dark as legal in Florida *

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post

FWIW, when I inflate the pressures, I always do it in the morning when the tires are cold. Knowing that once I start down the road, they are going to heat up, and along with that the PSI as well. So for me, I feel more comfortable leaving a little room in there for that, so my warning lights don't go off. If they do, I will monitor the PSI as I go, but I won't adjust pressures until I can again when the tires are cold. The only exception to that is if the pressure indicated is high enough to make me nervous, which I think only happened once, the first time I started doing this. I also trust my manual gauge and not the readout on the dash...but they are typically pretty close.

I treat the trailer tires the same way, other than I don't air them back down after we get home from a trip, like I do the truck tires. Its a little more difficult with them to check pressure during a trip, unless yours came with tpms sensors.
    Yep, I was taught about 30 years ago to check tire pressure when cold. I carry a small tire inflator machine by Slime. Plugs into cigarette lighter plug. Need to upgrade as it was made for motorcycle tires. My trailer tires have nitrogen, so I can't use the inflator on them.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Yep, I was taught about 30 years ago to check tire pressure when cold. I carry a small tire inflator machine by Slime. Plugs into cigarette lighter plug. Need to upgrade as it was made for motorcycle tires. My trailer tires have nitrogen, so I can't use the inflator on them.
    AFAIK, there isn't anything wrong with adding "regular" air to nitrogen filled tires. I can see why you might not want to, but if they needed it, I would be much less worried about adding some air from your inflator and much more worried about their load capacity at whatever PSI they might be at currently. Again, its up to you, and your probably close enough I would guess. But if my trailer tires as given to me by the dealer were at 35 PSI, and the sidewall stamped said 45 PSI max, I'm inflating them up to 42 PSI minimum, nitrogen be damned.

Probably the only reason I wouldn't inflate them to the actual max, despite I know that the PSI is going up when they get warmer, is that most of the ST trailer tires given with a lot of newer trailers are questionable (some would call them junk, others chinabombs) at best, so it mentally makes me feel a little better. Knock on wood, mine have been fine for the last 5 years, but I'm going to replace them this year even though they seem ok. I feel like I'm running on borrowed time. But thats more a me mental thing than anything else.

I have a little craftsman air compressor on wheels so I just fill it up and go out the morning of the trip and make sure its the way I want it. In a pinch I could use the stanley fatmax, but the small compressors just don't work as well I've found.
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    I'd rather have proper air pressure in the tire than worry about having nitrogen in the tire first...

I put 78% nitrogen in my tires and it seems fine..

Good luck!

Mitch
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links