Is my trailer too big? - Page 3

Is my trailer too big?

This is a discussion on Is my trailer too big? within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Mitchf150 I'd rather have proper air pressure in the tire than worry about having nitrogen in the tire first... I put 78% ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is my trailer too big?

Member #
    Liked
    1100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchf150 View Post
    I'd rather have proper air pressure in the tire than worry about having nitrogen in the tire first...

I put 78% nitrogen in my tires and it seems fine..

Good luck!

Mitch
    Lol.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    When we purchased our TT we bought it with the notion of pulling it behind the wife's Hyundai Santa Fe which was rated at 5000# towing capacity so we bought a 20' TT 23' with tongue that when fully loaded would be well under the 5000# rating. The camper sales hooked everything up and we left on our way back home. It didn't seem to bad to tow and we took things pretty easy. The second or third time I towed the TT behind the Santa Fe we were driving with quite a bit of side wind and it was pretty scary the whole trip back home, fortunately we were less than 150 miles to travel. I had white knuckles by the time we got home and the wife was a nervous wreck. I took the TT to another camper dealer a few days later and asked them to check the WDH system, I had my concerns about how they started things out when the guy that was supposed to check things out had to leave and told someone else how to go about it and then he left. The guy that was checking things out and making adjustments had a few ideas of his own how to set things up. It still did not tow very good afterwards maybe as bad or worse than before.

It wasn't long before we purchased our 2016 F150 w/2.7 crew cab 4x4. After hooking up the TT to it I went to an empty flat level parking lot along with my tape measure and instructions as to how to set up the hitch. I spent maybe 1 1/2-2 hours there getting everything set up including adjusting the ball height etc. It has always pulled like a dream, if I recall correctly when I have the trailer hooked up to the pickup that my pickup is pretty much level, it might squat down 1/4-1/2" on the rear fenders don't recall for sure.

I have often thought about hooking back up to the Santa Fe and setting the WDH back up to it and adjusting just to see how it works but laziness has kept me from it LOL. Also I don't have any reason to tow the TT behind the Santa Fe since I have the F150. I am curious as to what your max loaded weight of your travel trailer is supposed to be as you might be pushing towards the top of the towing capacity of the 2.7. I had to take my TT back to where I bought it for warranty repairs and I asked them to see what they could do as far as the tank gauge system as it was not working correctly. I thought after we left there the TT seemed to be towing harder than usual but we weren't going very far and thought maybe I was bucking a head wind. After getting to where we were going to spend the night I found out that all three of my tanks were full. Not long afterwards I noticed I was getting some tire wear and had the alignment corrected. I have always thought with the added weight of having all three tanks full might have knocked the alignment out as the three tanks being full would have increased the weight about 750#.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have not read all the replies you got yet, so this may have been mentioned. I tow a 30' travel trailer weighing about 7500 pounds as loaded all over the mountains of Colorado with my 2018 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 3.5L. I have zero sway. Stock tires, stock shocks. Just a WDH. I would bet that you just need to adjust your hitch to get more weight on the front tires. I always adjust my hitch so that the truck looks like it is riding level, or the back end a bit "up", when the trailer is attached.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Ecoboost Jr Member atwowheelguy's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I got 89% Front Axle Load Restoration with 7 spacer washers in the hitch head of the EAZ Lift. It tows well.
    Name:  7240 trailer weight.png
Views: 59
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  13400 camper weight tickets with truck wt sum 1024.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  276.3 KB

Name:  EAZ Lift weight distribution hitch WDH copy.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  633.7 KB

Name:  hitch spacer washers.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  109.5 KB
    Last edited by atwowheelguy; 04-25-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    2013 Supercrew 3.5 EB XLT, 2WD, 3.55 axle, 9800 lb. tow rating, 7100 lb. GVWR, 1607 lb. payload, towing a Cruiser RV Funfinder Xtra XT245 toy hauler, 7200 lbs. loaded

Member #
    Liked
    1609 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfla View Post
    . Relatively hilly....for Florida.
    LOL I am positive you simply need to properly adjust you hitch

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 SRW 4x4
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Ecoboost.
    Traded my boost: 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost FX4 SuperCrew.

Should've got a V8 - Check
    Should've got a Diesel - Check
    Should've got a 1 Ton - Check
    You'll run out of payload - Not Likely

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    you could also be getting some of this

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2016-...7589-a-429311/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...issues-426156/

there are other sites with people having steering issues with the electric steering on their trucks and towing becomes a beast , I know from experience. Hope to see what your solution is, may help mine.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pvagabond View Post
    you could also be getting some of this

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2016-...7589-a-429311/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...issues-426156/

there are other sites with people having steering issues with the electric steering on their trucks and towing becomes a beast , I know from experience. Hope to see what your solution is, may help mine.
    Didn't have any steering issues before pulling the travel trailer. Over 4000 miles, interstate highways, state roads, city, country. No issues. The more I read, and hopefully learn, the more I am leaning to hitch adjustment. That happens tomorrow, hopefully.
    Kinguni likes this.
    2018 Guard (WTH kinda name is that for a color) * F-150 XLT S/Crew 2.7 * 3.55 rear * Trailer Tow Package * 18" Hankook's * Pro Backup Assist * Tailgate Step * Running Boards * Fog Lights * stubby antenna * full BedRug * Gator Tonneau * windows tinted dark as legal in Florida *

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    This is an interesting topic and, not having read through the whole thing, I can say that YES, you maxed out the trailer size for your truck.
    Pretty much every trailer dealer I've spoken to, in this 100 mile radius, recommends a safety gap of about 1500lb between max trailer weight and tow rating of the truck. Personally, i would not even cut it that close.

A lot of the advice on here will help with the issues you're having, but you probably need an upgraded tranny cooler, etc.. in addition to stiffer shocks and better tires.

I have the ECO with the 11,000 tow rating and I still heat up with a 7000lb trailer. If I were to buy one, my max GVW would probably be about 6000.

But, knowing that the trailer is at the top end of the comfort zone is a good start and upgrading will help. Just keep an eye on tires, shocks, and especially brakes if you tow a lot.

I dropped the trailer idea as all the places we'd need to use it don't have campsites within a 45min radius. So, for me, trailer cost + campsite cost + time > hotel cost 10 minutes away.

Good luck
    Before you criticize someone,
    Walk a mile in their shoes,
    Then, you're a mile away,
    and, you have their shoes

2014 F150 XLT 4x4, off road, brake controller, other 'stuff'

Member #
    Liked
    1609 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctgblue View Post
    Pretty much every trailer dealer I've spoken to, in this 100 mile radius, recommends a safety gap of about 1500lb between max trailer weight and tow rating of the truck.

Not that you would ever get to the tow rating within GVWR on a camper, but . . . . .So, they all chose this exact arbitrary number that has absolutely no basis?
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 SRW 4x4
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Ecoboost.
    Traded my boost: 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost FX4 SuperCrew.

Should've got a V8 - Check
    Should've got a Diesel - Check
    Should've got a 1 Ton - Check
    You'll run out of payload - Not Likely

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have a 2017 Screw, 3.5, 157" WB with max tow. I pull a trailer that is about 8k with 850 hitch weight. No matter how I set my WDH my rear end of the truck would be about 1.5" low. It pulled fine but headlights were high at night. We were about 300# under payload when fully geared up. I installed a set of Ride-Rite bags, put 30psi in them and problem solved. I worked with the Equalizer hitch people for over a month on different settings and could not get the rear of the truck to level, even with the trailer unloaded. Given that the initial rear spring rates are pretty soft on the F150 for a good ride, the bags just helped to level. Air bags will not increase payload but in my case helped to put a little more weight on the front end. Very easy to install and a $300 fix.
    snakebitten likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links