Is my trailer too big? - Page 5

Is my trailer too big?

This is a discussion on Is my trailer too big? within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by cajunfla Front wheel well is 1/4 inch higher with WDH and trailer than without. Isn't that where it should be, close to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is my trailer too big?

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3226 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfla View Post
    Front wheel well is 1/4 inch higher with WDH and trailer than without. Isn't that where it should be, close to measurement without WDH and trailer?
    I'd say "close enough" for that one single aspect. How much rear squat do you have at that point?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I'd say "close enough" for that one single aspect. How much rear squat do you have at that point?

Did not take note of rear squat. I'll check it tomorrow. Water tank is filled with bleach/water solution overnight to sanitize after removal of winterize stuff from factory. That 1/4 difference is with empty trailer. Need to load for a camping trip and remeasure.
    2018 Guard (WTH kinda name is that for a color) * F-150 XLT S/Crew 2.7 * 3.55 rear * Trailer Tow Package * 18" Hankook's * Pro Backup Assist * Tailgate Step * Running Boards * Fog Lights * stubby antenna * full BedRug * Gator Tonneau * windows tinted dark as legal in Florida *

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3226 times
    Did not take note of rear squat. I'll check it tomorrow. Water tank is filled with bleach/water solution overnight to sanitize after removal of winterize stuff from factory. That 1/4 difference is with empty trailer. Need to load for a camping trip and remeasure.
    I like that you've switched over to a methodical approach. I'm confident you can get the weight balanced using those efforts.

That's the "physics"

After that, the improvements are a matter of better performing components. Things like stiffer sidewalls and improved damping.

It only makes common sense that damping that gives a nice smooth ride in an empty truck is NOT ideal for giving a good ride with 1500lbs of weight added to the equation.

Running empty and then running pretty close to max load is as far as a difference as possible!

Still, one thing at a time. And that's exactly what you are doing. Cheers!

cajunfla likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Front wheel well is 1/4 inch higher with WDH and trailer than without. Isn't that where it should be, close to measurement without WDH and trailer?
    That might be about how mine was ( if it was over 15 seconds ago since I done it I have forgotten LOL).
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I've been towing travel trailers for almost 40 years...here's what works for me:

Adjust WDH to give 100 percent FALR...front tires inflated to factory recommendations...rear tires inflated slightly over factory recommendations. This is for P-rated XL tires. Inflating the front tires too much will add to the light feel on the steering. I've discovered it's a balancing act to get everything to work together and provide a comfortable towing experience, especially with a soft suspension and passenger rated tires.

YMMV
    2015 F150 XL sCab Sport 4x2, Race Red, 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.73 E-lock, Tow package, Integrated trailer brake controller, Bizon tri-fold tonneau, OEM drop-in bedliner, otherwise stock

If more restrictive gun laws were the answer, then Chicago and California would be the safest places to live.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    On a travel trailer.....There is so much room to put junk in the front of the trailer. Propane bottles and batteries were mentioned also. Does the trailer sit level? If it's down in the front...Then it's loading to forward trailer axle more than the rear......You want it level to distribute the load evenly. My truck squats with the boat on it. 9100lbs total. But I can compensate with the adjustable height of the hitch. This keeps the trailer level.
    2015 F150 XLT S/Cab - 4X4 - 3.5EB - 3:55 Elec lock - Ruby Red - 302A Equip Group - Blind spot system - Nav - Max Tow - Tailgate step -Ext range tank - Bed Extender

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Name:  IMG_4917.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  3.20 MB Trailer empty, truck full bag of fuel.
    2018 Guard (WTH kinda name is that for a color) * F-150 XLT S/Crew 2.7 * 3.55 rear * Trailer Tow Package * 18" Hankook's * Pro Backup Assist * Tailgate Step * Running Boards * Fog Lights * stubby antenna * full BedRug * Gator Tonneau * windows tinted dark as legal in Florida *

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Oh hell... Tow that thing all day long and enjoy!.. Just adjust the WD hitch as needed as you will need to dial it in for how you load it up, but in general, it looks good from the pic.

Mitch
    cajunfla likes this.
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchf150 View Post
    Oh hell... Tow that thing all day long and enjoy!.. Just adjust the WD hitch as needed as you will need to dial it in for how you load it up, but in general, it looks good from the pic.

Mitch
    Agree with mitch. Looks good to me! FWIW, my rear squats a little with the trailer hooked up. I haven't done anything in relation to it though.
    cajunfla likes this.
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My 2 cents from someone who felt the same condition you did, same truck. Tire side wall flex. I switched from 04 F150 with Goodyear Wrangler LT's to and brand new 2018 with some sweet riding Michelins. Took me a while of tweaking things then it hit me....that's gotta be it! Side note, 2018 2.7L ecoboost, 10 speed tranny will flat OUT TOW the 5.4L V8!!! Loving the feel of a truck not struggling to get to the top of a long interstate incline!🏁🏁
    snakebitten and cajunfla like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links