Weighed my Trailer

Weighed my Trailer

This is a discussion on Weighed my Trailer within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Finally got around to hitting the scale with my trailer to how much it actually weighs. Thought I would share here for informational purposes. Used ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperDave23
  • 1 Post By TCP2

Thread: Weighed my Trailer

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Weighed my Trailer

Finally got around to hitting the scale with my trailer to how much it actually weighs. Thought I would share here for informational purposes. Used a CAT Scale at a local truck stop. Super easy to use with their app, just drive onto the scale, tell the app you are ready and it gives you your results on the screen, in an e-mail, and printed out with the weighmaster inside. Mine was $11.50 for the first weigh and $2/ea for the re-weighs. I dropped the trailer temporarily in the truck-stop parking for the Truck weight.

Trailer is a 23ft box Toy Hauler "Super lite" bumper pull. The sticker on the trailer claims a 4700lb dry weight. Trailer GVWR is 7,500#.

Truck is a 2013, Crew-cab, short bed, 4x4 XLT. Std tow package, 3.55 gears. Truck sticker:
    Front GAWR: 3750#
    Rear GAWR: 3750#
    GVWR: 7200#
    Payload: 1401#

Per the 2013 towing guide, the truck GCWR is 15,500# with a max trailer of 9,600#.

Filled the truck up with gas (36-gal). Filled trailer with gas (20-gal) and fresh water (60-gal). Not much else in trailer, except some pots & pans and clothes. Truck was just me and the usual crap under the back seat.

Truck empty:
    Front: 3360#
    Rear: 2620#
    Total: 5980#

Truck/Trailer without weight dist bars:
    Front: 2920#
    Rear: 4140#
    Trailer: 5600#
    Total 12,660#

Truck/Trailer with weight dist bars:
    Front: 3120#
    Rear: 3760#
    Trailer: 5720#
    Total: 12,600#

So trailer weight is 6,680# (based on the higher 12660#). The 60-gal water (500#) and 20-gal gas (150#) add 650# so the mfg was only off by 1330#!

Tongue weight is 1,080 without load bars and 900# with them (not sure why the number is different). Tongue to trailer weight % calcs to 16.1% & 13.4%.

Looks like I need to crank my load bars up some more as I'm basically at my rear axle capacity with my current setup and short 240# on the front vs unloaded. Granted this is a toy hauler which tends to be tongue heavy, especially when empty. I'll plan on re-weighing when I'm in full camping gear with 3-motorcycles in the trailer.

Added weight for camping:
    3x motorcycles (275# each) = 825
    Wife & 2 kids = 260
    Food & drinks= 25
    Misc Crap = 100
    Total = 1,200#

So the trailer weight would go up from 6680 to 7890. Over the trailer GVWR, although technically some will go to the truck so the trailer axles would still be under.

Name:  2018-06-10 001.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  2.64 MB
    Last edited by SuperDave23; Today at 12:35 PM.
    Mr B likes this.
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3051 times
    Interesting!

Me personally? I'd rid the onboard water tank weight while traveling. If I was going to boondock, I'd take that weight back on CLOSE to destination.

That would solve the trailer being at or over weight with ALL cargo onboard.

And yes, I'd crank that WDH up enough to get that front weight up and the rear axle back down.

In summary, Rid the unnecessary weight of carrying heavy water.
    And then tweak that weight distribution with the hitch to get a better distribution.

Nice setup.
    Great post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    You may not need to distribute more weight. If the toy hauler loads from the rear, that is going to pull up on the tongue.

Ditto on the water. Aside from the fear of dropping the tank, that's a lot of extra weight to haul around. I even ditched my 30lb propane tanks that were mounted on my hitch for the smaller 20lb ones. No sense in driving across country with that much propane. I just top them off for every long trip.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1072 times

Weighed my Trailer

I am not sure that propane or batteries are included in the trailers weight since those are usually dealer installed items. Thats probably a couple hundred lbs.

Also your tongue weight changes because the WDH bars are transfering the weight to the trailer axles and trucks front axle.
    Last edited by mass-hole; Yesterday at 04:23 PM.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Wish I could jettison the water, but I'm typically going from my house at the base of the mountains straight up. Can't really get water up there so I gotta lug it up the hill.

I also won't typically fill the tank up 100% unless I'm boondocking for a long time, I more wanted to get a "base weight" of the trailer so I know how much crap I can/can't put into it.
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Member #
    Liked
    1072 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Wish I could jettison the water, but I'm typically going from my house at the base of the mountains straight up. Can't really get water up there so I gotta lug it up the hill.

I also won't typically fill the tank up 100% unless I'm boondocking for a long time, I more wanted to get a "base weight" of the trailer so I know how much crap I can/can't put into it.
    60 gallon tank is nice. I have a 24(?) gallon tank and use most of it on a weekend trip. I always dry camp, don’t think I’ve ever had hookups .
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I personally wouldnt worry about 2-300 lbs over the GCWR. Its negligible at best. You need to weight it fully loaded with everything in the camper, especially the motorcycles and gear in the back to see if you need to adjust your torsion bars more.
    12' F-150 SCREW, FX4, 3.5TT, CRP Manifolds/SPD Turbo Adapters/MBRP Offroad DP/AFE Intake/170 tstat/CP-E intercooler, 3.73 gear, 33" Duratrac

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    My bumper pull 3 horse slant load trailer loaded up with 3 horses and tack in the front storage area is near the same weights you listed for your toy hauler. The trailer is all steel and isn't built light or cheap anywhere, I think its in the ballpark of 4100 just the trailer and tack.
    I've got roughly the same axle weights you listed as you have now, I've found it to ride quite nice down the road, the engine doesn't act like its ever loaded and the truck steers and tracks very well. When meeting or passing a semi or other large vehicle with tremendous side winds, or even in crosswinds, I don't notice any sway. Since I have three horses each weighing differently I have a certain spot I position each one depending on which ones I am hauling. If hauling just one, I position that horse in the stall right over the axles, if hauling two I put the lighter one forward of the axles and the heavier one over them, if all three horses are going the lightest one I out in the front, the heaviest in the middle the middle weight in the back.
    I think you will find all the weights of your toy hauler will equal out just right when you place whatever toy or other cargo on the trailer axle or slightly behind.

And yes I run weight distribution bars on my horse trailer, I set it up without horses first, then loaded two horses (when we only had two) and took measurements and messed with adjustments and have since found it better to keep everything set as the trailer needs it while empty (because it has alot of weight as is) and work with repositioning horses based on weight to fine tune the load. So far this has worked well. I went to the local farm service and used the truck scale and got everything kinda balanced. It all goes down the road well at least.
    2014 F 150 Supercab XLT 4wd 3.5 Ecoboost

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Good on you for weighing, as dry weight as listed is almost always wrong. In fact, I've yet to hear of someone that has scaled a trailer to find out its spot on. It just isn't. I like the write up as well, its nice to see the actual numbers.

My trailer is above the dry weight, though I have never scaled it without gear in it. I would like to do that some day just for fun, but there isn't a lot of scales close by.
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Great test procedure and results. You have all the information to make proper choices, which most people never put in the effort to get.
    snakebitten likes this.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

Sponsored Links