Scale weights and WDH

Scale weights and WDH

This is a discussion on Scale weights and WDH within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Our camper is loaded up and I set up the Curt True-Track today. Following are my measurements and my weights. Unloaded: Front wheel well: 39.5 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Scale weights and WDH

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3609 times

Scale weights and WDH

Our camper is loaded up and I set up the Curt True-Track today. Following are my measurements and my weights.

Unloaded:
    Front wheel well: 39.5

Rear wheel well: 41

Loaded but no WDH:
    Front wheel well: 40.5

Rear wheel well: 38.5

Loaded with WDH:
    Front wheel well: 39 7/8

Rear wheel well: 39 1/4

I also scaled it.
    Truck unloaded: 5300 lbs

Truck loaded with WDH: 6140 (6500 gvwr)

Gross combined weight: 11860 (I have a 12800 gcvwr)

Trailer weight totals 6560, and I have 840 lbs tongue weight (12.8%)

Front axle loaded: 3100 (3375 FAWR)

Rear axle loaded : 3040 (3900 RAWR)

Trailer axles combined at 5700

With all that said, what changes, if any, would you guys say I need to do with the WDH to shift any weight differently. Seems odd to me that my front axle holds more than the rear. I know I should have made a pass with no WDH but I was pushed for time. I'll go back some other time and get more weight stats.

The truck looks a touch nose high, but I have a 2.5" level and raised the rear about 1.5" with an add a leaf.

The camper is level, I'd like it to be a touch nose down, but the hitch head is as low as it will go on the shank, so I don't think I can lower it any.

Overall I think I'm pretty good on my limits as far as gcvwr and gvwr. I'm obviously near the limits, closer than some would like, but if it handles well I'm fine with that.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mwemaxxowner; Today at 01:05 PM.
    snakebitten and Boostking like this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I’m doing this from my phone so forgive me. Just quickly looking from my minds eye at what your wheel well height is after applying the wdh, it seems right to me. Of course I’m not taking the weights into consideration.

Aside from that, to get the trailer a touch nose down you should be able to add (I think it’s add, but could be remove) a washer from the wdh head? Thereby tilting the ball back some and pitching the nose down.

Question is, how does it tow? If I have time tomorrow I’ll play with the numbers and come back (have a busy day at work lined up already) but you should also post it over on the keystone forum as well..those guys are typically on it hehe.
    2018 Magnetic F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7l Ecoboost/302A

Member #
    Liked
    1138 times
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3609 times
    Quote Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
    I’m doing this from my phone so forgive me. Just quickly looking from my minds eye at what your wheel well height is after applying the wdh, it seems right to me. Of course I’m not taking the weights into consideration.

Aside from that, to get the trailer a touch nose down you should be able to add (I think it’s add, but could be remove) a washer from the wdh head? Thereby tilting the ball back some and pitching the nose down.

Question is, how does it tow? If I have time tomorrow I’ll play with the numbers and come back (have a busy day at work lined up already) but you should also post it over on the keystone forum as well..those guys are typically on it hehe.
    The Curt doesn't use washers, it has a spring clip that sets the angle on the head in preset locations. But, yes it can be tilted.

I thought tilting the head was meant to be a measure for applying more tension to the spring bars if needed, but I think it would also lower the trailer a touch. Not a lot, but I probably don't need a lot.

It towed well into town to hit the scale, but that was only about 5 miles and I didn't pass any semis or anything. I did run it up to 70 for a bit and it seemed well planted, as well as when hitting bumps and potholes on these rough rural roads.

Quote Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
    ...but you should also post it over on the keystone forum as well..those guys are typically on it hehe.
    I would rather be stuck not going over 50 lest it become a white knuckle affair. Lol

Overall they are a good bunch and a treasure trove of RV related knowledge, but MAN are they rough on half tonners. Especially the ones with the "little engines".

Last edited by mwemaxxowner; 07-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1138 times

Scale weights and WDH

I think you need to take it on a shake-down loop because who really knows how your combo is gunna ride.

The scales and heights look good on paper.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3609 times
    That's mostly what I wanted to hear. That I was at a reasonable starting point. We're leaving tomorrow after work to take it on our maiden voyage to a state park about an hour away. That's exactly what the plan was, a shakedown run. Not too far from home, and we'll be very close to a Walmart. I have all the tools packed to start over from scratch if I need to on the hitch, but I think it's gonna be close.

Mr B and mass-hole like this.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3207 times
    Everything you posted indicates that you have the rig "within the margins" of a proper tow.

In my opinion you will be heading out on the road set up better than the vast majority of ˝ tonners pulling the same weight.

That does not mean you can't improve the towing experience though. There are all kinds of things that can add to the towing prowess of the truck itself. But you've already heard them all. Tires, shocks, and rear suspension add-ons like airbags and helper leafs.....

Just take it easy at first. Be careful and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3609 times
    I already have add a leafs, with a supposed 950 lbs of assistance. Given the small amount of squat that the rear end suffered, I'd say they help.

I'm still on all factory shocks at 76,000 miles, so no doubt shocks are in order (especially with the added height in the rear). I'm sure that will help a bit. I don't have plans for too much else. Maybe LT or 10 ply tires when these are worn out if I get the sense that mine are too squishy.

I've watched the roadmaster active suspension for a while too. Some swear by them, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on that price tag without knowing if I even need them.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3207 times
    I'm telling you..... You will go gaga with Bilsteins on the back and some load E tires.

But DON'T do it yet. Get real used to how it rolls now so that when you add truck shocks and tires you can say wow. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3609 times
    I'm trying to balance weight, load bearing ability, and price with tires. So load E will be an absolute last resort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links