My ceramic coating experience

This is a discussion on My ceramic coating experience within the F150 Ecoboost Appearance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Hey folks. I recently treated myself as an early Christmas present to a complete paint correction and ceramic coating to the tune of $475 on ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My ceramic coating experience

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times

Hey folks. I recently treated myself as an early Christmas present to a complete paint correction and ceramic coating to the tune of $475 on my '16 XLT.

I've come under quite a bit of fire for spending "so much money" on this, so I'd like to explain the benefits to everyone, track its performance over time, and get some opinions on it from others. I got a lot of, "Can't you just wax it?" Well, yeah, but that would just seal up over the existing swirl marks, and need to be done again and again and again constantly.

A lot of people don't know what I mean when I say swirls. I don't mean what you get when someone does a poor buff job. You ever catch a vehicle in the bright sunlight and see what looks like a spider web effect where the light gathers? This is caused by thousands of tiny, light, random scratches in the clear coat. It is so common I think it's just accepted as normal. But if you polish the clear coat to perfection, you get so much more depth of color and beauty it's not even funny. Even when the light isn't shining on it directly. Below is a picture of swirls on the right side, and one pass with polish and a polisher on the left.

Even though my truck was new, it already has swirling like this when I bought it. It's very easy to do just from washing. Even if you are super careful. This is why proper washing techniques and products are so important, and a good coating.

I got a lot of, "It's just a truck man."

Well, yeah. If you don't care about it I guess that's a fine way to look at it. Why even wash it or care about what sort of wheels are on it, level it, tint, or anything aesthetic, if you don't care about maintaining the paint. It's just a truck. Right?

The way I see it, I pay $500 a month on my truck. It's brand new. I want it to look brand new. If it was 5 years old, it might not bother me so much. I've done my best to properly care for the paint, but it has still sustained a little more swirling, and water spotting. Real water spots don't come off without an abrasive measure of repair. They actually form a crater in the clear coat that has to be polished out.

Cost. A full paint correction is very involved, and no simple task. It requires a degreasing wash, a chemical decontamination to removed metal particles embedded in the paint, a mechanical decontamination (clay bar), and usually several steps of polish with an orbital polisher. Then, once the imperfections are polished out, the coating can be applied. At least an 8 hour job.

Ceramic coating. What is is? A ceramic coating is a 3-5 year coating. Or 5-7. Depending on what one you go with. I chose crystal serum. It's a bit cheaper than the more popular opticoat coatings. It's a very hard clear layer that bonds to your paint. Waxes are very soft. They don't last long, and don't protect from all that much.

As I said, the ceramic coating is hard. Harder than your clear coat. It resists scratching better. But it isn't impervious to scratches, of course. The nice thing, however, is that any water spots or scratches it may incur, are in the ceramic coating now, not your irreplaceable clear coat.

A ceramic coating makes washing MUCH easier. Stuff doesn't stick to it like it did the paint, so things just come off easier. It's extremely hydrophobic, so water just runs off of it. This makes drying easier. Drying has been the hardest part of maintaining my black paint, and no doubt where I've probably gotten the majority of marring that I've caused. Now I should be able to hit it with the blower and take care of the majority of it after a wash.

Can you do it yourself? Sure you can. If you have the stuff and the knowledge you can do it yourself and save a good bit of money. I don't have any experience using a d/a polisher, so there would inevitably be a learning curve. I really didn't wanna get that curve in on my brand new truck. Most prices around here were $1000. When that was what I was gonna pay, I was going to learn and do it myself. When I stumbled across someone who would do it for $475, I decided it was worth it to me to have a better job and not fool with it myself. I hate doing stuff like this.

Is it worth it? I'd like to hear some thoughts. In my opinion, if you care about your high dollar vehicle, and like it to look good, and want to be able to maintain a perfect finish with less time invested, it is. It's a truck, sure. I use it. And it won't be showroom condition. I know that. But I want it to look as good as I can keep it.

Going forward, over the course of at least a year I'm going to report my experiences with washing and maintaining, and how the paint looks over time. How well it resists water spots, and light scratches, etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    Ceramic coating yesterday.

Ecoboost Master phantomblackgto's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    That looks great! Does it come with a warranty? How often do you have to have it done? Is it only on the paint, or does it cover all surfaces? I've used a place here in KC called Ming.

Ming Center KC | Ming Mirror Finish

They offer a three year warranty. I had it done to a lighter colored vehicle and it seemed to do as advertised quite well. I never had it done to a black vehicle. Interested in your long-term evaluation of this product.
    mwemaxxowner likes this.
    2013 XLT Off-Road 4x4 SCrew SB, Ecoboost, 5* 89 p/t, Rx dual valve catch can and CSS, 4" MBRP SS single exit cat back, Resonator delete, Bilstein 5100's all around, front set to 1.5", Fuel Trophy Anthracite wheels 18x9 +20, DuraTracs 295/65/18, Linex bedliner, Weathertech digital floor liners, Rado Auto black billet bumper insert, Stant locking fuel cap, Front license plate holder delete, Smith & Wesson MP9c security system

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    I'll reserve judgment until several years down the road. Need to allow time for these coatings to prove themselves. I personally would prefer using a paint protectant like Cleartastic that will also help with eliminating rock chips as well.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    The coating is rated for 3-5 years, so theoretically I won't need anything done until that time is up. The fella running the shop has the same coating on his personal vehicle, and tells me it still sheds water well after 3 years.

I didn't think to ask about any sort of warranty, and he didn't mention a warranty, but he did say if I noticed anything wrong or had any problems bring it back and they'd fix it. It was applied to all painted surfaces, and all windows, except the windshield. He said it causes chatter with the wipers on the windshield. It's already dirty, so I'm eager to get the next wash in and see if drying is easier.

I asked him not to put it on the rims. I want to have them painted, and I don't want this to interfere with that. It would have to be wet sanded off.

Last edited by mwemaxxowner; 12-22-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times
    Congratulations dude, that was your absolute longest post ever!!
    Lol just giving you a hard time.... It was though, I seriously had to stop half way through and tl;dr it.

Seriously though, who gives a sh!t what other people say, it's your truck, your money man. You really shouldn't waste energy trying to justify it and worrying about what they say.

Truck looks good man!!

With that being said I am interested in hearing your review in several months and seeing pictures of how it's held up
    Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 12-22-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    Boostking likes this.
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    Congratulations dude, that was your absolute longest post ever!!

Seriously though, who gives a sh!t what other people say, it's your truck, your money man. You really shouldn't waste energy trying to justify it and worrying about what they say.

Truck looks good man!!

With that being said I am interested in hearing your review in several months and seeing pictures of how it's held up
    I knew that long post post was coming sooner or later. Lol

And it's definitely not my longest post ever. Maybe on this forum.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAV View Post
    I'll reserve judgment until several years down the road. Need to allow time for these coatings to prove themselves. I personally would prefer using a paint protectant like Cleartastic that will also help with eliminating rock chips as well.
    Is that those clear bra thingamajiggers?

I don't believe they have something to cover the entire vehicle, but it's definitely nice protection.

Ceramic coatings have been around a little while now. Long enough to prove that they work. I've read up quite a bit on gtechnique crystal serum. It gets very positive reviews. It's a favorite on autogeek.

Last edited by mwemaxxowner; 12-22-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I knew that long post post was coming sooner or later. Lol

And it's definitely not my longest post ever. Maybe on this forum.

Ya I wasn't referring to your longest post ever in your life, I'm sure you have some novels hahaha
    Xoxo
    Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 12-22-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    mwemaxxowner likes this.
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    Ya I wasn't referring to your longest post ever in your life, I'm sure you have some novels hahaha
    Xoxo
    I do. I've easily doubled that I'm sure. Hahaha

Take a break and you can finish it later.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links