Navigation (GPS) can you add it?

This is a discussion on Navigation (GPS) can you add it? within the F150 Ecoboost Electronics forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I got a 2018 S-Crew cab STX, 8" screen , can you add Navigation system to it?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Navigation (GPS) can you add it?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

I got a 2018 S-Crew cab STX, 8" screen , can you add Navigation system to it?

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3461 times
    Yes, but there is no easy button. Unless I'm mistaken, it requires swapping in the entire APIM (head unit/screen) with a nav unit.

Your best bet, imo, is to get familiar with Android Auto or Apple Car Play and use the nav from your phone on the truck screen.

I have used native Ford nav, as well as Hyundai, and I prefer the Google Maps on my truck's touch screen 10:1. Especially after a year or so when they are out of date.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
    Mikedick77 likes this.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    No easy way besides swapping in an entire head unit. Android auto + google maps or waze is WAY better than ford nav, atleast in my opinion.
    Mikedick77 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Not sure how hard or different it is to swap out a deck on an 18, but swapping it over in a 13 was way easier than I thought it'd be. If it's similar, i'd go that route. Having Waze on Carplay has probably saved me from a couple incidents or tickets.

Honestly if Nav is what you want, it can be had for under 500 bones US, an aftermarket deck and an iDatalink, and you're not even splicing anything. Pretty damn much plug and play with one of those. Just do the research on the head unit you want, and the features you're looking for, for the price.

If you go that route, check out crutchfield and use the tool they have so you get the correct parts. Then you can go to Amazon or wherever you shop and get it much cheaper.
    goJim likes this.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-20, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3461 times
    I don't think it's necessarily that HARD, it's just pretty invasive and expensive. You could add nav to sync 2 by simply putting the SD card in and doing some fancy Forscan work. Here it's not that simple.

Before spending hundreds and pulling the truck apart, I'd think long and hard about just using Android Auto or ACP.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
    Mikedick77 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Agree. Built in Navigation systems are considered legacy meaning they will soon all but disappear.

With Android auto or apple car play you are always current (no updating maps etc) and you get Soo much more - hands free.

Cons to this are a). requires a phone - and - b) working cell service (unless you downloaded route to phone beforehand)

Also Google maps is "aware" of the traffic ahead including wrecks / shutdowns and can save hours.

Good luck!!
    Traded 2013 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost for New 2018 Ford F150 2.7L Ecoboost well outfitted!

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tennred View Post
    I got a 2018 S-Crew cab STX, 8" screen , can you add Navigation system to it?
    version3.0 on sync 3 lets you use WAZE or GPS app of choice through your non-nav headunit. you download Android Auto app (or whatever the i app is if you're an apple nerd LOL) and hook up the USB charging cable to one of the 2 USB ports under the slide cover in the console. BOOM! Nav in your dash for FREE!
    Mikedick77 and Bubbabiker like this.

2017 SCREW 3.5L XLT FX4 3.31 Locker w/302pkg Ruby Red/Magnetic Metallic
    Roush intake, tune, exhaust, floormats
    Carhartt F&R seat covers
    JLT pass. side catch can
    Tailgate "easy down" strut

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Does the Sirius antenna have a GPS antenna too? If so is the coax routed to the head unit?
    2018 F-150 XLT Scab 2.7EB

Member #
    Liked
    2483 times
    I hate the OEM nav systems. They're clunky and the map updates are horrendously overpriced. I use my phone 100% of the time and I've got a NAV head unit in both vehicles. I wish my truck had apple car play so I could get the map on my head unit, but Kenwood apparently stops updating software for head units after a few years so mine is left in the dust.
    Mikedick77 and goJim like this.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3461 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I hate the OEM nav systems. They're clunky and the map updates are horrendously overpriced. I use my phone 100% of the time and I've got a NAV head unit in both vehicles. I wish my truck had apple car play so I could get the map on my head unit, but Kenwood apparently stops updating software for head units after a few years so mine is left in the dust.
    I could not agree more. My truck isn't factory nav equipped, but my wife's Tucson is. Even in there we use phones and Google maps. The only benefit I see is that you still have nav if the phone takes a dump, battery dies and you don't have a charging cable, etc. Those are easily avoidable (obviously) by staying prepared and taking care of the phone though.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
    Mikedick77 and goJim like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links