F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know it's a typical newb post, but here it goes.

Just bought my first Ford truck, pre-owned a 4x4 XLT Supercrew Ecoboost. Now its time to get rid of the crappy BCT Chinese tires that came with it. Currently I'm running 265/70r17's, but would like to move up to 285/70r17's. I have 3.31 gears but do not tow anything, I do not want to sacrifice much in mileage and performance, but want the bigger tires, as the ones right now are horrible, especially in the rain or dirt.

Most of my driving is on pavement, but about every other weekend I'll take it on well traveled forest roads to get to my fishing/shooting/camping spots.

Anyways I'm looking to go to 285/70r17 Nitto terra grapplers with the stock wheels and install a 2" level in the front, I've done a fair amount or research online but cannot find many 09+ 4x4's with this size tire, especially with a level.

I'm also considering 295/70r17's also, but like I said before I'm concerned about giving up performance/mpg's.

So please, if you've got either of these sized tires especially on a leveled 4x4, let me see them!

Any other advice, opinions, input would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Nomad Rebrab
I mounted some 285/70r17 wrangler duratracs on some ultra 17x9's without any level kit. No problems so far, but do have a top gun 2" to go on the front when I find the time as well as ready lifts 3" blocks for the back. Sorry no pics taken yet. The 17x9's are similar to factory back spacing so the tires don't stick out much.

I have a 2013 FX4 that came with stock 20s. I leveled it, replaced the 20s with a set of 18 inch rims and mounted 295/70 Toyo A/T II. My gas mileage remains the same if not slightly better but I also added a new Tune via Livernoise. That size tire is an "E" load rated tire for Toyo and I believe Nitto as well. That will stiffen up the ride a bit itself.
The route I chose to level my truck was Bilstein 5100s x 4 and 3 " rear block. The front shocks had to be set at the top ring/perch in order to help fit those 295/70s. That preloads the spring(s) a bit which also contributes to a stiffer ride!
Well worth it to me. I prefer more of a truck ride that the stock plush setup. And for me, the truck also sat a bit low (stock) so its exactly where I want it now.

The Nitto and Toyo tires are both great tires IMO ! My buddy runs Terra 35s on his Jeep and he swears by them. Ive only had the Toyo A/T IIs for about 2500 miles but so far they haven't let me down.....Especially in all this snow the past month. They grip really well in messy snow/icy roads.

Hope I helped more than confused

Discussion starter · #12 ·
View attachment 8488

So I got mine leveled and new tires.

I went with 285/70r17 BFG A/T and a two inch pro-comp level.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Defiantly a little slower and noisier with the new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: stevenmverrill
Bump for more pics. Trying to convince myself they are not to small, for my liking. seams this size cost allmost half the price of say a 315/70/17, will get better mpg, and power.

Rancho level . 285/70/17bfg on vtech 9inch wide.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Hey that looks great. Wheels look similar to mine also thanks!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.