5100 bounce?

5100 bounce?

This is a discussion on 5100 bounce? within the F150 Ecoboost Suspension forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Installed 5100 on all 4 corners a couple weeks ago. At the same time I put on new tires/rims. Iíve also got the air lift ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5100 bounce?

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

5100 bounce?

Installed 5100 on all 4 corners a couple weeks ago. At the same time I put on new tires/rims. Iíve also got the air lift airbags. When I first got everything on I noticed there was a bounce at 40-50 mph and around 70-75. Now I just thought it was some break in period stuff so I let it go. 1,000 mi later itís the same. So I rotated the tires and took all the air out of the airbags feels like it still coming from the rear. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Shocks won’t cause bounce however they could certainly amplify the feeling as these shocks are fairly stiff. That said, if you have a vibration or bounce it’s likely to do with parts that go round. That could be anything from U-Joints, driveline, tires, wheels, differential, etc. Now air springs mixed with leaf springs might be something to give a second look too.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 02-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Get your tires/wheels re-balanced. How much air is in the bags?

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1812 times
    That's weird....I have stock OEM shocks all around; run 45psi cold in my trucks E rated tires, 25-30psi daily in my AirLifts and I have the Off Road Pack 4x4 XLT and my truck does not bounce around at all....plus the ride is firm but not harsh.
    I'm thinking your tire & rim combo....is it OEM or over sized tires /rims?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulyhuntr View Post
    Get your tires/wheels re-balanced. How much air is in the bags?
    I usually run the bags with 20-30 lbs before and after the instillation of the suspension and tires. Since then have Iíve taken all the air out to isolate the issue and it prevails. I also rotated the tires.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meaz93 View Post
    That's weird....I have stock OEM shocks all around; run 45psi cold in my trucks E rated tires, 25-30psi daily in my AirLifts and I have the Off Road Pack 4x4 XLT and my truck does not bounce around at all....plus the ride is firm but not harsh.
    I'm thinking your tire & rim combo....is it OEM or over sized tires /rims?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    The new tires are 265/70/17 Grabber ATX (close to stock) I used to run the 2015+ FX4 wheel tire combo and have had no issues with my AirLift for the 3 years Iíve had it.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Shocks wonít cause bounce however they could certainly amplify the feeling as these shocks are fairly stiff. That said, if you have a vibration or bounce itís likely to do with parts that go round. That could be anything from U-Joints, driveline, tires, wheels, differential, etc. Now air springs mixed with leaf springs might be something to give a second look too.
    Iíve had my AirLift setup for several years now. However with the stock shocks they might have been cushy enough to mask a vibration. Driveline was replaced in 2015 when Ford was tying to solve the shutter on takeoff issue (5-10 mph)

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Let me guess... You have the two piece drive line? To me, it sounds like our "bounce" is more of a "vibration"? Since it happens at specific speeds that's all I'm going from.. "Bounce" to me is when going over concrete hwys that are uneven and you get that rhythmic kind of front to back suspension bounce at specific speeds??

Dunno, since I can't tell what you are feeling thru the interweb..

I have the 5100's all around too and have some Helwig over load springs on the rear end and my ride is smoother than it ever was with the stock setup..

Good luck!

Mitch
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I have the same issue with my truck, and also recently installed the 5100's. However I did notice it before the 5100 install, it did get more noticeable after the 5100 install. I did have an alignment done and my wheels re-balanced and it didn't help. Like everyone has said, i'm going to check my U-joints next.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchf150 View Post
    Let me guess... You have the two piece drive line? To me, it sounds like our "bounce" is more of a "vibration"? Since it happens at specific speeds that's all I'm going from.. "Bounce" to me is when going over concrete hwys that are uneven and you get that rhythmic kind of front to back suspension bounce at specific speeds??

Dunno, since I can't tell what you are feeling thru the interweb..

I have the 5100's all around too and have some Helwig over load springs on the rear end and my ride is smoother than it ever was with the stock setup..

Good luck!

Mitch
    Yep Iíve got the two piece! I would describe it as the concrete highway feeling as well. Might look into my bushings or maybe even put the GoPro under there. Itís certainly an up and down motion thatís happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links