I have a thing for turbos.

This is a discussion on I have a thing for turbos. within the Introductions forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Been enjoying turbos since my first taste back in college when I got an 88 RX7 TII. The usual intake/exhaust upgrades, streetported, stock turbo & ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I have a thing for turbos.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times

Been enjoying turbos since my first taste back in college when I got an 88 RX7 TII. The usual intake/exhaust upgrades, streetported, stock turbo & intercooler, and larger injectors controlled via Megasquirt. Self-tuned.

Had a little time away when I got tired of replacing apex seals and then a few years ago got my hands on a 2006 Mazdaspeed6. Didn’t do anything to it for the first year, then went from full stock to forged build (Manley rods/pistons), mild turbo upgrade, and 28psi of boost. Self-tuned. Yay for learning what load tuning is all about...ugh. But it might come in handy later though.../wink.

Since my “daily” racecar has seen a lot of downtime, I picked up a cheap $500 Tacoma to do the dirty work.
    That truck has served its purpose well these past 2 years but it’s time to move on. My so called “friends” are trying to talk me into keeping it for a nice 1J or 2J swap. To be continued...

Enter stage right...some EcoBoost love. 2014 XLT SCrew with 83k miles. Picked it up a bit over a week ago. Seems to be in good order so far. Right now just looking around to see what it’ll take to get some data logging done to see how things look and then move on to tuning if everything checks out. I haven’t done a compression or leak down test yet, but it’s obviously on my to-do list. I also still need to do the regular maintenance stuff when purchasing a used vehicle with unknown history. Fluids, plugs, filters, etc.

Anyways, back to reading I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
    Been enjoying turbos since my first taste back in college when I got an 88 RX7 TII. The usual intake/exhaust upgrades, streetported, stock turbo & intercooler, and larger injectors controlled via Megasquirt. Self-tuned.

Had a little time away when I got tired of replacing apex seals and then a few years ago got my hands on a 2006 Mazdaspeed6. Didn’t do anything to it for the first year, then went from full stock to forged build (Manley rods/pistons), mild turbo upgrade, and 28psi of boost. Self-tuned. Yay for learning what load tuning is all about...ugh. But it might come in handy later though.../wink.

Since my “daily” racecar has seen a lot of downtime, I picked up a cheap $500 Tacoma to do the dirty work.
    That truck has served its purpose well these past 2 years but it’s time to move on. My so called “friends” are trying to talk me into keeping it for a nice 1J or 2J swap. To be continued...

Enter stage right...some EcoBoost love. 2014 XLT SCrew with 83k miles. Picked it up a bit over a week ago. Seems to be in good order so far. Right now just looking around to see what it’ll take to get some data logging done to see how things look and then move on to tuning if everything checks out. I haven’t done a compression or leak down test yet, but it’s obviously on my to-do list. I also still need to do the regular maintenance stuff when purchasing a used vehicle with unknown history. Fluids, plugs, filters, etc.

Anyways, back to reading I guess.
    Welcome.

Data logging is pretty easy. You can get most of the good PID's just using tha android app called Torque Pro and an OBD bluetooth adapater. People have posted additional PIDs around here somewhere for some of the more important items. You can manually add those to Torque. There is also a free application called Forscan which can get some good logging from, but I have not used it. Forscan is also used to go in and edit settings in basically any module in the truck. You can change things like keep the fog lights on with high beams, change DRL's to fogs, change the number of auto blinks on your turn signals, etc etc. Its nuts what you can do with it.

I have also had really good success with the OBDlink app, but it requires you buy one of the more expensive OBDLink MX+ adapters to use with the iphone. It does come with a free model specific PID upgrade pack, which has an absurb amount of the F150 specific PID's. This is what I use currently since my work phone is an iPhone.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 03-25-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    AllWhiteEco likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I've seen Forscan mentioned many times in my readings but hadn't gotten around to researching yet. Thanks for the info.

I'm not a fan of the 3-blink lane change.
    I'd like my headlights and fogs to be on all the time when vehicle is on, but I'm not terribly bothered having to manually turn them on. Lol. I'm not THAT lazy.

I tried using the Torque App with my mazdaspeed but the refresh rate was way too slow for what I needed at the time. So I purchased a full tuning solution for logging. Although that may have been an issue with the $10 Bluetooth OBDII plugin not the App.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    And I'm slightly ashamed of my first "mod". Light smoke vinyl on the headlights. I have dark smoke arriving today for the tail lights.

Member #
    Liked
    1168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
    I've seen Forscan mentioned many times in my readings but hadn't gotten around to researching yet. Thanks for the info.

I'm not a fan of the 3-blink lane change.
    I'd like my headlights and fogs to be on all the time when vehicle is on, but I'm not terribly bothered having to manually turn them on. Lol. I'm not THAT lazy.

I tried using the Torque App with my mazdaspeed but the refresh rate was way too slow for what I needed at the time. So I purchased a full tuning solution for logging. Although that may have been an issue with the $10 Bluetooth OBDII plugin not the App.
    It was definitely the adapter. I have two of the OBDLink adapters, the MX+ and LX, and they are WAY faster than the chinese one i have. Especially in the F150.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Knowing that I’d eventually be doing my own tuning, I don’t want to be $75 in the hole to spend another $300ish later for HPT or however much the SCT costs when they can do logging too. I’m tempted to just hold out until I’m ready to pull the trigger on tuning devices.

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    welcome fellow booster!
    2019 3.5L F150 CC FX4 XLT Max Tow, 5* Tuned, Leveled & More to Come!
    RIP-2015 CC FX4 l 3.55's l Raptor Style Grille l Leveled l 305/60/18 Vision Manics l Bilstein 4600's l Powerstop Z36's l AEM CAI l MSD Coils l Exhaust Tweaks l Tow Mirrors l Upgraded Trans Cooler (GH 13.31 1/4)

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Welcome to the club, you're gonna like it.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Okay. Almost the last “BS” mod. Did the tail lights today.

I need to find someone to tint the front windows. I’m thinking 35%. South Carolina allows darker, but 35 is legal for North Carolina. So if I ever move north, I’ll be good to go.
    Last edited by Fstrnyou; 03-31-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Ordered a Full Race catch can from a forum member. I plan on modifying it as soon as it arrives. There is only 1 port to the drivers side turbo inlet pipe. I'd like to add a 2nd port for the passenger side turbo inlet pipe for more "suck".

Additionally, I was FINALLY able to get into the dealership for an oil change. Oil life was down to 29%.
    While there, the service team was able to give me a print-out of the options list for my truck and gave me the phone number to call and see if I can get more information and possibly new door stickers, since mine are missing.

I'm a tad disappointed to find out that my truck DOES NOT have the max-tow package like I had thought which seems somewhat common.
    I have the HD Trailer Tow (Class IV Hitch?) C1CAE, Engine Super Cooling System (Upgraded Radiator?) DAAAD, Integrated Brake Control (Includes 7-pin connection?) FDDAD, Aux Trans Oil Cooler FKAAB, Manual Shift Auto Trans (SelectShift?) FLNAB.
    What's missing... Manual Extending/Folding Tow Mirrors, not sure about the upgraded rear bumper.

Other discoveries, the rear is a 3.15 ratio which somewhat explains the laziness above 2nd gear. This truck rips pretty good in 1st-2nd though. Ran a 5th gen Camaro SS from a dig the other day and he didn't scream past me until I was in 4th. LOL. He was cool enough to give me a thumbs-up after.

Lastly some good news. There is extended warranty coverage until Dec 2021 or 100,000 miles.
    BRoell likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links