High Water and the EcoBoost Turbo

High Water and the EcoBoost Turbo

This is a discussion on High Water and the EcoBoost Turbo within the Introductions forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Hey everyone! Has anyone had any adverse effects to their EcoBoost turbo from driving through high water? So far I have forded 4 streams with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Tritle

Thread: High Water and the EcoBoost Turbo

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Question High Water and the EcoBoost Turbo

Hey everyone!
    Has anyone had any adverse effects to their EcoBoost turbo from driving through high water? So far I have forded 4 streams with my F150EB, each stream was deep enough to completely submerge my turbo cooler for at the least 35 seconds. I havent seen any adverse effects as of yet but like i said my turbo cooler wasnt under water for very long. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area that can tell me what might occur in longterm submersion?
    Thanks...
    ForestMyth

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Shouldn't be a problem as the pressure inside would/could be higher than outside as long as the engine is under load. Its a sealed system so unless the air inlet goes sub surface there should be no water infusion.

However, I would actively flush the cooler fins asap upon getting home to remove sediment and other foreign objects that could block or cause corrosion to the aftercooler.

I would also install one of those inlet screens shown elsewhere a couple days ago on another thread. I'm planning to make one this weekend. Photos will phollow!
    Last edited by Mike Tritle; 01-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    ForestMyth likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thanks for the answer Mike, I really appreciate it. i will look through the treads to try and find that inlet screen your talking about. I did have to wash out the sediment like you mentioned it was completely coverd in mud each time. I had to use a water bottle with a whole in the lid at the time then i used a pressure sprayer when i got back to town. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Sponsored Links