2012 F150 ecoboost surging during acceleration

This is a discussion on 2012 F150 ecoboost surging during acceleration within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; A few weeks back I started noticing a little bit of misfire (I thought) during cold acceleration. Once everything was up to full temp I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2012 F150 ecoboost surging during acceleration

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

A few weeks back I started noticing a little bit of misfire (I thought) during cold acceleration. Once everything was up to full temp I really didn't notice it so I didn't worry about it. This past weekend I noticed it a little more so I thought I'd reflash the tune just to see if maybe it was a glitch or something. Well that wasn't it as in my next drive afterwards it got worse. The condition is under light/medium acceleration, as it starts getting close to a shift power will start surging. I watched my boost guage and noticed boost following the surge. At this point I did a datalog and I can see the throttle angle and boost both start going back and forth with neither matching desired. I tried it stock and with two tunes with the same result which means it's a mechanical/electrical issue with the truck. I'm going to log a few other parameters this morning but I wondered if someone else had similar issues. It also seems to go away with more throttle input but since it has a issue I hate to do that too much.
    Thanks Mike

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Definitely don't force it to misfire- you will cook the catalytic converters and eat o2 sensors.
    Now, the fix will be fixing the condensate problem in the intercooler that is blowing out spark. You need new spark plugs asap... Sp534 gapped.030 stock, or .028 tuned. Next drill the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler to evacuate the condensate so you never have spark blowout again. Problems solved.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I don't think it's ignition related. An ignition miss is usually a hard jarring type sensation. This is a power surge where you feel power go in and out. In the datalog you see the throttle actual and desired get off as it try's to open and shut the throttle and with tip boost pressure also doing the same. This is at low thottle with low load. I could be completely wrong though. If the rain lets up this weekend Im going to pull the intercooler and inspect. I'll probably drill the hole then just to rule that out.
    Thanks Mike
    Last edited by JST4FN; 08-16-2016 at 10:56 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Could be the mechanical boost bypass valve fluttering around a bit. When it lets off some boost power drops, then it ramp back up. Boost kind of oscillating during some part throttle conditions. I get the same on occasion under the same throttle conditions. I have a tuned 2012 as well. Not sure if aftermarket BOV or tune changes could maybe fix it?
    Last edited by mustang90; 08-16-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    2012 Screw - MPT Tuned! - Need more $ for mods...

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhart View Post
    Definitely don't force it to misfire- you will cook the catalytic converters and eat o2 sensors.
    Now, the fix will be fixing the condensate problem in the intercooler that is blowing out spark. You need new spark plugs asap... Sp534 gapped.030 stock, or .028 tuned. Next drill the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler to evacuate the condensate so you never have spark blowout again. Problems solved.
    Nonsense. Try again.
    2011 FX4 3.73, Unleashed 93 and E30, 170 Tstat, S&B, AFE Charge Pipe, BBK Throttle Body, PPE Catted Pipes, LET Electric Cutout, ICON Stage 3, PowerStopped Z36

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JST4FN View Post
    I don't think it's ignition related. An ignition miss is usually a hard jarring type sensation. This is a power surge where you feel power go in and out. In the datalog you see the throttle actual and desired get off as it try's to open and shut the throttle and with tip boost pressure also doing the same. This is at low thottle with low load. I could be completely wrong though. If the rain lets up this weekend Im going to pull the intercooler and inspect. I'll probably drill the hole then just to rule that out.
    Thanks Mike
    have you changed plugs and done the weep hole? Any which way you look, those two items will vastly improve your truck. What you are experiencing is something most ecoboost owners have gone through. Plugs and the weep hole are your fix.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3311 times
    Try cleaning your MAP sensors...that may contribute to the problem if you have a few miles on the truck.
    Elkhart likes this.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I went ahead and did the hole at lunch since it was easy to get to. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it yet but oil that good stuff your engine needs came out (crazy it condensates like that and then the oil too). I would be ecstatic if this was it.

Also to answer the questions above it has newer plugs regapped and the sensors were cleaned at the same time. That's been about 6000 miles ago.
    Thanks Mike

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I bet you are good to go.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well that didn't do anything for my problem. I did another datalog afterwards. I can see what I feel but I don't know why it's doing it. Ughh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links