Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please - Page 2

Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

This is a discussion on Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I have realized a 2.5 to 3 mpg average drop in the cold weather. These trucks seem to be very susceptible to cold weather. I ...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have realized a 2.5 to 3 mpg average drop in the cold weather. These trucks seem to be very susceptible to cold weather. I imagine your mileage will improve with warmer temps.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage3Motorsports View Post
    On a factory wheel? I ask because rolling weight will kill the mileage on these trucks.
    Yep, 18" factory wheel. I stopped by Les Schwab Tire store and spoke to a salesman this afternoon. He said what I have on there is slightly larger than a stock, has more weight and mildl more rolling resistance. My tires are 275/70R18 Hercules Terra Trac. He said he handles a lot of truck tire set ups and said rolling resistance, weight and that tread design shouldn't account for more than .5 - 1 mpg difference over stock. When I told him my hwy mileage, he looked perplexed and said "it's not the tire, there's something wrong" and told me how his '02 V8 Chevy gasser gets 20+ on the hwy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. Engine was well warmed when I reset mpg computer just before leaving dealer. Air Temps were 25-33 deg on this trip, no wind. I checked engine temps during trip and was settled slightly higher than mid range on gauge (if that means anything).

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have an appt with Ford Service center in town lat next week. For what its worth, this morning I called and spoke with the sales mgr where I purchased the vehicle yesterday. I told him the situation. He went through the normal checklist of considerations including blaming it on low octane gas they filled it up with (87). In the end he said it's just not right and to keep him posted after I have the tires checked at Schwab and engine run through at the local service shop. I did notice for the first time today that on 4 occasions when pulling away slowly from a stop that there was a loud "thud" when the engine shifted to 2nd gear. Am i to assume that the transmission is failing, or? I do have 8 mos left on the bumper to bumper at least.
    wootman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by mdptor View Post
    Thanks. Engine was well warmed when I reset mpg computer just before leaving dealer. Air Temps were 25-33 deg on this trip, no wind. I checked engine temps during trip and was settled slightly higher than mid range on gauge (if that means anything).
    It's been said before.. these motors do not like the cold weather. In 55 plus degree weather I get 17.5-18.5mph 65%highway and 35%city. In 30-40 degree weather my mileage dropped to 13.5-14.5mph. I say wait for warmer weather as I bet your mileage will increase 3-4 mph.

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73
    2013 Ford 150 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 w/3.5 Eco and 3.73 Gears

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdptor View Post
    Yep, 18" factory wheel. I stopped by Les Schwab Tire store and spoke to a salesman this afternoon. He said what I have on there is slightly larger than a stock, has more weight and mildl more rolling resistance. My tires are 275/70R18 Hercules Terra Trac. He said he handles a lot of truck tire set ups and said rolling resistance, weight and that tread design shouldn't account for more than .5 - 1 mpg difference over stock. When I told him my hwy mileage, he looked perplexed and said "it's not the tire, there's something wrong" and told me how his '02 V8 Chevy gasser gets 20+ on the hwy.
    when i went from the factory 275/65/18 tires to my 10 ply 275/70/18 on after market wheels my mileage drop roughly 4 mpg.
    so if you don't do any kind of off roading or seroius pulling i would see about going back to the factory size tires and a lower ply rating if possible
    2016 F-150 2.7 XLT SuperCrew 145wb Lithium Grey.

Member #
    Liked
    635 times
    Hand calculate the mph instead of using the pc. At least do it for 1 tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2012 F150 ECOBOOST Fx2 Fully loaded 3.15
    *Best quarter mile* Stock 14.53 *Tuned 13.28*

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    My 13 f150 gasser gets 20+ on the highway too if I drive it right. See I can say it too.

I would put a lot of it on the tires, recalculate the mileage by hand, unhook the battery for an hour to reset the PCM, and look into the spark plugs being gapped correctly. I would also ask the dealer to verify which PCM programming you have to make sure they didn't neuter it for a inter cooler repair. You should be able to look at the inter cooler though and tell if it's had any updates done to it.

You might also check the quality of fuel being out in the thing ie heb brand vs texaco. My family used to have a Cadillac with the North Star v8 I believe, and if you ran one brand of fuel too long it would get hard to start and the fuel mileage would fall off until you ran a different brand for a tank or two.

You also need to factor in the added size of the tire on your mpg, especially if you're just going off the PCM. It's calculating figures based on the wrong ratios.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis249 View Post
    when i went from the factory 275/65/18 tires to my 10 ply 275/70/18 on after market wheels my mileage drop roughly 4 mpg.
    so if you don't do any kind of off roading or seroius pulling i would see about going back to the factory size tires and a lower ply rating if possible
    Good to know. thanks for the info.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder982 View Post
    My 13 f150 gasser gets 20+ on the highway too if I drive it right. See I can say it too.

I would put a lot of it on the tires, recalculate the mileage by hand, unhook the battery for an hour to reset the PCM, and look into the spark plugs being gapped correctly. I would also ask the dealer to verify which PCM programming you have to make sure they didn't neuter it for a inter cooler repair. You should be able to look at the inter cooler though and tell if it's had any updates done to it.

You might also check the quality of fuel being out in the thing ie heb brand vs texaco. My family used to have a Cadillac with the North Star v8 I believe, and if you ran one brand of fuel too long it would get hard to start and the fuel mileage would fall off until you ran a different brand for a tank or two.

You also need to factor in the added size of the tire on your mpg, especially if you're just going off the PCM. It's calculating figures based on the wrong ratios.
    great info, thanks. I'll factor this in when I take into the shop next week. I'll see what they say about the apparent intermittent hard shift into 2nd too.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links