Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please - Page 3

Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

This is a discussion on Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by mdptor great info, thanks. I'll factor this in when I take into the shop next week. I'll see what they say about ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdptor View Post
    great info, thanks. I'll factor this in when I take into the shop next week. I'll see what they say about the apparent intermittent hard shift into 2nd too.
    Please follow up. I'm interested in their response to the hard shift. I have a clunk when going between 2-3-4 in sop and go down town traffic.
    Hope you get your truck fixed too

Member #
    New member chiming in.
    I have a 2011 and have also noticed the 3-4mpg fuel economy drop on my Ecoboost, dropping from ~18 down to ~14mpg in mixed driving. I have also noticed an intermittent fluctuation in what I assume to be the turbo. Under gentle acceleration, I feel the engine seem to cycle power on on off quickly for a period of 4-5 seconds. This cycling is not like a transmission shift, but seems to be the turbo is kicking on and off quickly. Seems strange as I've driven several turbocharged sedans and not had this problem It seems that with the drop in temperature, the issue has gotten worse.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Member #
    2013 platinum 4 door, 6' bed 2500miles. i'm getting 14mpg just went up from my steady 13.9 (13.6 after a few snowy field drift sessions at 35mph 8" of snow). no matter what, if you are trying to make power, you're inducing more fuel/air than a V8. it's only fuel efficient if you drive like a grandma... my friend has a 2013 fx4 and is getting 18mph city/mountain driving, i caught up and passed him one two separate occasions (interstate and back road) when he had left the same location before me as we were heading to another location, this included other passengers as well. I should mention i wasn't trying to catch him since I assumed there would be no way i could due to the amount of time he had left before me on both occasions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    that clunk may be the driveshaft getting stuck. I felt it once, very lightly in my 13' ecoboost but it was really bad in my father's 2010 5.4 as well as my sister's fiance

Member #
    *'s 2010 5.4 it was an actual recall and the fix was a different grease. We can performed this ourselves

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a 2012 ecoboost and I notice a huge difference in fuel economy with temperature. When it gets cold I get 3-4 mpg less Your gonna have a drop with any vehicle but it seems a bit more with this truck. I have a SCT custom tune and I typically get 24 25 on the hwy going 65 and under.. now.. its 20 at best... So to everyone getting all jumpy about it.. It's normal

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecofx86 View Post
    Hand calculate the mph instead of using the pc. At least do it for 1 tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    You bet. I will hand calc on my next tank. It's in the shop now getting transmission fixed (see forthcoming post).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Had my truck checked out today at Ford shop re: intermittent hard "clunk" when shifting from first to second when cold, plus original concerns of low mpg (now tracking 12.5/15.5 mpg vs. 15/21 EPA rated).

The shop immediately found an issue with the transmission and will be pulling and repairing it in 4-5 days. Did not have a solution for mpg - said plugs were gapped fine, and PCM did not need flashed. This vehicle just turned 20k miles.

I'll have to say, I've owned 9 previous vehicles, several into the high 100K mile range and one to 230K. All previous vehicles achieved or surpassed EPA mileage ratings (with 87 grade, in cold weather, without chips), and none had a transmission issues - ever. I was pretty stoked about this purchase initially, but cannot say so right now. Now i'm reading about a bunch of similar Ecoboost early transmission issues on other forums. I'll see what the "transmission" repair does and I'll give it another 1-2 months and hand calc my mileage in the meantime. If it continues to be an issue, I'm going to unload it and move on. At least its being covered under he powertrain warranty. It is reassuring to hear so many ecoboost owners with good track records and high satisfaction levels. We'll see where mine ends up.

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Hope it works out good for ye truck! Let us know.
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    Your = Is that your truck? Possessive.
    You're = You are. E.g., You're a nice old boy, and I like your truck.
    '15 Platinum Supercrew, 3.5, 3:31 differential, 4x4, White, comes when you call it.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    I'm averaging about 15 MPG city driving. I'm thrilled with that after owning a thirsty as hell 5.6L Titan... LOL That thing was getting about 8-10 MPG... I don't do much highway driving in the winter, but in the summer I take frequent trips to the Jersey Shore so I'll be able get a good grasp of the highway mileage then. My wifes Explorer Sport was averaging about 19MPG combined (city and highway) last summer with the weekend Shore trips included in her weekly city driving, but I beat the balls off of it everytime I got a chance to drive it so it probably could have gotten better. With my truck being a Super Crew, 4x4, 3.73 I'll be happy to get 19-20MPG combined in the summer.
    2013 Tuxedo Black FX4 Screw Eco 'The D.D.': 3.73 ELD, every option. Ford C/A Bakflip, Bedrug, DeeZee tailgate assist, Gibson dual side exit cat back, 2" Heavy Metal level w/ 3" rear blocks, Fuel Trophy wheels, 33" Duratracs.
    2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport Eco ‘The Mommy Mobile’
    2010 Shelby GT500 ‘The Garage Queen’: 720+ RWHP, way too much to list.
    So if we're counting, that's 3 cars; 4 turbo chargers and 1 supercharger Every Day is a Holiday

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links