Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please - Page 4

Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

This is a discussion on Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by mdptor Had my truck checked out today at Ford shop re: intermittent hard "clunk" when shifting from first to second when cold, ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdptor View Post
    Had my truck checked out today at Ford shop re: intermittent hard "clunk" when shifting from first to second when cold, plus original concerns of low mpg (now tracking 12.5/15.5 mpg vs. 15/21 EPA rated). The shop immediately found an issue with the transmission and will be pulling and repairing it in 4-5 days. Did not have a solution for mpg - said plugs were gapped fine, and PCM did not need flashed. This vehicle just turned 20k miles. I'll have to say, I've owned 9 previous vehicles, several into the high 100K mile range and one to 230K. All previous vehicles achieved or surpassed EPA mileage ratings (with 87 grade, in cold weather, without chips), and none had a transmission issues - ever. I was pretty stoked about this purchase initially, but cannot say so right now. Now i'm reading about a bunch of similar Ecoboost early transmission issues on other forums. I'll see what the "transmission" repair does and I'll give it another 1-2 months and hand calc my mileage in the meantime. If it continues to be an issue, I'm going to unload it and move on. At least its being covered under he powertrain warranty. It is reassuring to hear so many ecoboost owners with good track records and high satisfaction levels. We'll see where mine ends up.
    Any update?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I have had my eco for 4 months and just over 17,000 miles. I am averaging 17.1-17.5 in town and 17.5-18 on the freeway. I have had the ECM flashed twice, changed to a cold air intake, changed exhaust and now put in a AFE scorcher module and none have helped the mileage. Runs much better but no mileage gains. I just sold my 2011 6.7l PS Lariat 4x4 that averaged 17.5 city and 19.7 highway for this gas guzzling v6. At least the oil changes are cheaper love the truck otherwise.
    2015 F-150 FX4 King Ranch- Stock....for now!

Member #
    Besides the cold causing more of a rolling resistance on your vehicle gasoline does not atomize the same as when it is warm. It goes unburned and than out the exhaust. So sucking in that cold air and cold fuel more needs to burn to produce the same amount of power when it is warm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ecoboostlariat View Post
    Any update?
    Update on the service: The Ford service department performed the service on the transmission that was causing the occasional hard shift (friction plates). It was covered under warranty. Noticeably smoother running now. I haven't gained anything in mileage. Based on the responses from others, I'm chalking it up to cold weather with some contribution from the slightly larger / heavier tires. I do appreciate the words of wisdom from others' on this forum. If anything else changes, I'll let you guys know. Thanks guys.

Member #
    Liked
    488 times
    I picked up a 2011 this past Monday. Max tow with 3.73s. I made a 200 mile roundtrip today in 25 degree temps. 40% of trip was moderate stop and go on county highways. The other 60% was on the beltway at 70 mph. I had reset the computer before the trip and averaged 18.1 mpg. I have no idea if factory maintenance had been done to the vehicle. I am a stickler for easing on the gas to try and maximize fuel mileage.
    2016 F250 CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker
    2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7,500lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Hmm cold weather, living down in West Palm Beach and the 5 days of the year it goes below 50 is an interesting theory why I find myself at the Costco pumps more frequently. Guess the summer will be the tale of the tape....2012 Lariat 4 X 4 Four door.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdptor View Post
    Update on the service: The Ford service department performed the service on the transmission that was causing the occasional hard shift (friction plates). It was covered under warranty. Noticeably smoother running now. I haven't gained anything in mileage. Based on the responses from others, I'm chalking it up to cold weather with some contribution from the slightly larger / heavier tires. I do appreciate the words of wisdom from others' on this forum. If anything else changes, I'll let you guys know. Thanks guys.
    First thing winter fuel blend would lose around 2 mpg, 2nd thing I have found by gas at different gas station I get different fuel mileage. The cheapest gas doesn't always get the best fuel mileage. 3rd tires make a big difference in fuel mileage hwy tread vsr a off road tire.
    2013 XLT 4x4 3.55 E-locker

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I purchased a 2012 Ecoboost Lariat, with 30,000 miles in Jan. This was a Ford "Certified" truck. Within 3 days of getting it, I had a complete electrical failure. It was throwing 42 different electrical codes. Transmission was acting up, instrument cluster went black etc. The dealership had no clue what was wrong. It took their techs a week to look at it. Once they finally did, it turned out that all it needed was a PCM update. Now with cruise set at 65 running 88 octane fuel, I average 20.5mpg. All Highway. That being said, in town I get 14. My computer is off by 2 gal per tank. I hand calculate everything. (have an app on my phone) so every mile I drive is logged and every gallon of fuel is logged. (I've done this for the past 250,000 miles I've driven (with other trucks)).

I changed my tires last week to a Cooper AT/3 275/65/18 and I noticed that my fuel mileage went down by 1mpg. Just food for thought.

My truck is 4x4 with the 3.73 gears
    Raiderfan1890 likes this.
    2012 F150 Lariat Ecoboost 4x4

Member #
    I have a 2012 Lariat super crew, short bed, ARE Bed Cover, 3.55 rear, 18" michelins stock, 39,000+ miles. Avg economy over last 9,000+ is 19.2 mpg by the computer. This includes towing 5 x 12 utility trailer with shooters cart on it for probably 2,000 miles, some city, majority highway at 75ish. By the computer on the highway it is normally around 20.5. If I back it down a little below 70 it will run around 22+. In town seems to be around 16 or so. Towing trailer mentioned above at 70 is 14 to 15.5 depending on wind. One trip of towing it averaged 12 but 180 of 360 was at 85, San Antonio to Lake Charles. I have been checking it just recently (computer against Gas Cubby App and the app shows slightly less than computer, a little less than 1 mpg). Last two showed 19.7 and 21.7. There was a small amount of city in both. It is wind affected as all are. My last two were Chevys 07 and 09s half ton and a Tahoe. 5.3s in both. Hwy was around 19.5 up to 21 at 75 dependent on wind. Big wind might drop them down to 17 mpg. Towing was around 13 to 15 with same rig mentioned above. I don't baby them but I don't keep my foot in it either. Down where I live I run gas with no ethanol 90% of time and occasionally use the Lucas additive when I do run ethanol. I was told you could see about a 10% difference less with ethanol but I have not been able to notice it with the Lucas additive.

The Ford ECB is better on towing IMO than my Chevy 5.3s were. I can leave it on CC in TH Mode in it doesn't downshift on overpasses or the little hills between Houston and San Antonio like the Chevys did when towing rig mentioned above.

I keep waiting for the hammer to drop but nothing has happened yet. A couple of noises that I have no idea were as they were a one time thing and my keyless starter seems to be acting up. This is my first ford since 1971 and so far so good. I have been really leery after reading these forums for several years. It seems I have a good one so far. Longevity I guess will be the next question.
    Last edited by Mark Chronister; 03-25-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Member #
    I just traded in my 2011 XLT Ecco-Boost for a 2013 FX2 Ecco-Boost. The mileage is notably not as good as the 2011. What do you think? I don't think its weather related. I am actually driving slower just to see if the mileage will improve. So far its like 14-17 in the city and 16-18 on the highway. Where as before: 16-18 City and 19-22 on the highway. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links