Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please - Page 9

Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

This is a discussion on Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Winter gas ruins the mpg. Having said that, your fuel trims should be somewhat steady, especially long term. Check the catch can to make sure ...

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Poor Mileage issue on my F150 Ecoboost - Help Please

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Winter gas ruins the mpg. Having said that, your fuel trims should be somewhat steady, especially long term.
    Check the catch can to make sure it is not full.
    Also, lazy O2 sensors (Lambda sensor) will throw off your fuel trims.
    Run a mode $06 and check for cylinder misfires.
    I know you said it's a well maintained truck, however, many ppl seem to forget about the air filter.

Good luck, and report back.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    mdptor, I have been experiencing declining gas mileage for the past 18 or so months. Lot's of work and money put into the solution. I wanted to pass on what I found with mine. Stock F150 SC 4x4. Tow package, 3.73 gears, 140K km (just under 90Kmiles). The important details were that the intake sensors were continually oily, intake valves had carbon deposits. Here's the solution on this truck, can't say for sure it will fix yours. Removed the intake manifold. The seals cost $12 for the set at Ford. Set the crank position to seal one pair of intake valves. Covered all other intake ports. Let the sealed valves soak in Sea Foam cleaner. Used a stainless steel forcept with a curved and rounded tip to scratch the carbon off carefully. Some valves took three separate soakings of 10min each. Blew out the carbon and Sea Foam. Cleaned the sensors with sensor cleaner (CRC in this case). The most important step was to install a catch can. I used a Moroso for the 09-14 F150 ecoboost without an inlet filter. I noticed no difference around town until I took a 500km trip. My theory is that the residual carbon on the pistons finally got burned off with no oil entering through the intake ports. This improved the mileage from 16+L/100km to 12 unloaded. About 25% improvement.
    I did use Sea Foam previously after valve cleaning to try to clean the pistons, there was no improvement but then the sensors were still being coated with oil. So my theory is sensor cleaning, physical valve cleaning and a catch can are all important and only worked when all performed in short order. By the way, the catch can fills with a water oil mix in 500km (300mi) in cold weather. If it fills then oil re-enters the intake manifold. I cleaned it today after 700km and it was full to the brim with brown oil. Today is -20C. The contents were frozen. Had to remove the can and open it to get the mess out. Hope this helps, Ron.
    bespurcell likes this.

Member #
    Get used to getting less than 20 MPG (Imperial gallons are approximately 1.2 times larger than U.S. gallons).
    I have never got more than 17.8 miles/ Imperial gallon on my 2013 Ecoboost which now has 32,800 miles.
    I also find that most people don"t ever calculate the fuel economy, they just assume because they filled the fuel tank they are getting good fuel economy.
    Here's one example: I drove to Kelowna and back without having to fill up so I'm getting really good gas mileage.
    If they aren't keeping track of their mileage and how much fuel they are putting in the gas tank don't believe them.
    It's actually very simple to calculate after you have filled your gas tank with as much fuel as you can get into it twice and record your odometer reading each time you fill up.
    The second time is because you are measuring how much gas your truck used.
    Take the distance you traveled and divide it by the amount of gas you put into the truck on the 2nd fill up. This is your fuel economy.
    You'd be surprised how many people can't do this but still want to tell you what their fuel economy is.
    I don't see RonF150 mentioning how much fuel he used! Is he just using the fuel economy meter that updates whatever period you've set it for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2647 times
    Your truck doesn't read Imperial gallons it read either litre/km litres/100km or US gallons.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    That's my point... everyone posting their fuel economy just states probably what they are reading off the truck calculations and they can be inaccurate as far as providing a long term fuel economy calculation.
    If you set your fuel economy to calculate a 5 minute average that's what you are getting. Not the fuel economy of a 700 km trip.
    I find the vehicle calculation to be quite accurate but when I fill up my tank the FUEL USAGE is always less than what I actually put in the tank.
    winchested: It is also very simple to convert the units with a basic 4 function calculator.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Interesting thread. Have no idea what my MPG is actually. My button to change the dash display is stuck at trip 1. Plan on swapping out the air bag clock spring on Tuesday. Thanks to all who posted. Gives a good baseline to expect.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Liked
    2647 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yox1923 View Post
    That's my point... everyone posting their fuel economy just states probably what they are reading off the truck calculations and they can be inaccurate as far as providing a long term fuel economy calculation.
    If you set your fuel economy to calculate a 5 minute average that's what you are getting. Not the fuel economy of a 700 km trip.
    I find the vehicle calculation to be quite accurate but when I fill up my tank the FUEL USAGE is always less than what I actually put in the tank.
    winchested: It is also very simple to convert the units with a basic 4 function calculator.
    Noone in north America uses Imperial gallons other than car dealers when trying to make they're cars seem so fuel efficient.

For all purposes we use the US gallon and Litres/100km.
    Mikedick77 likes this.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Poor gas mileage, variable fuel economy

Here is my experience. Bear with me as the details may become long and winded. I will try to convert Canuck measurements to US as I go along. Pure stock 2013 F150 Eco. Tires 275x18. 3.73 gears, tow package, Crew cab Short box, 4x4. Bought the truck with 103K Km (65Kmi) 2 1/2 yrs ago. Have 175K (97Kmi). Plugs changed at 130K (Motorcraft). Synthetic oil changes at 8-9000K Km. Trans and diff oils changed. Have towed a 6000lb fifth wheel about 45K km (27K mi or so) When we bought the truck mileage was consistent 12.5L/100 (18mpg US) unloaded at 110Kph, 70Mph. 22L/100 with the trailer at 100Kph (63Mph). Up till recently it struggles to make 13.5L/100 unloaded and 26L/100 with the trailer. I have had numerous things done or done by me to try to make it more consistent. I live in Saskatoon SK (Cdn prairies) but spend a fair amount of time in Abbotsford BC-trips with the trailer through the Rockies to get here. We have made the trip in spring, fall and winter. I have installed a catch can, drilled the intercooler (7/64" hole) and replaced one slow O2 sensor. Had the Abbotsford dealer (they are a good one) check the truck twice and change to the updated ECU mapping. The fuel mileage has always been variable once we had it about 1 year. (25K km driving) The single greatest aid to fuel economy is 91 Octane. I repeat PREMIUM Fuel. Ford says you may need higher octane than 87 when towing. I have found 91 Octane to be a minimum when towing 6000lbs. In fact, we arrived in Abbotsford yesterday with 23.5L/100 with a headwind. That was 91 octane with 2-STP octane booster bottles. Supposedly that makes 94 octane. Today I drove without the trailer on the same fuel, hwy at 105-110KPH (around 70Mph) and back on country roads about 30Km each way. The gauge indicated 11L/100 (22Mpg) I have checked the gauge a few times and found it pretty accurate. Recently we made a trip to Quebec starting from the West Coast and found the gas in BC, Ontario and Quebec to give consistent results. Gas in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba is variable. I use only brand gas, Shell, Esso and Co-op (Co-op on the prairies). All others I have found to be crap. Lots of surging and poor mileage. Monitoring the Ign advance while driving shows retarded ignition as much as 4deg ATDC. With good gas, climbing the hills with the trailer shows 10-16deg BTDC. I hate to put premium in the truck when unloaded, well at anytime really, but it does pay for itself-if it is actually 91 Octane. Hope this helps. Ron. By the way for those of you having brown gunk under the oil filler cap-this is normal when the weather is cool and or humid. I have to empty the catch can every tank in cold weather (-20 to-30C) and it goes 3000Km (2000mi) in the summer.
    Last edited by RonF150(Eco); 09-02-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    Bstew likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Agree on the octane. I regularly, and only use 93 now. I never am pulling any load. I've done the complete tuneup with my exception, my truck hates Motorcraft plugs. I use Autolite Iridium XP.

My MPG is a terrible 14.1 over a 750 mile average. 90% of my driving is a 10-12 minute drive to work with 2 mins of that being town driving, and the rest being 70mph. But if the truck doesn't warm up and get past that 15 minute mark, you're getting crap MPG anyways. Engine has to warm up or you end up at the low end.

I also could mention that if you use cheaper oil, not so good for the mileage either.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikedick77 View Post
    Agree on the octane. I regularly, and only use 93 now. I never am pulling any load. I've done the complete tuneup with my exception, my truck hates Motorcraft plugs. I use Autolite Iridium XP.

My MPG is a terrible 14.1 over a 750 mile average. 90% of my driving is a 10-12 minute drive to work with 2 mins of that being town driving, and the rest being 70mph. But if the truck doesn't warm up and get past that 15 minute mark, you're getting crap MPG anyways. Engine has to warm up or you end up at the low end.

I also could mention that if you use cheaper oil, not so good for the mileage either.
    I'm running full synthetic oil 5w-30.

In the winter months here in PA, I am getting ~11 MPG doing 100% city driving. In the summer, it's about 14-15. All highway I can hit 18-20 but it isn't consistent. Avg on a highway trip is usually 16-17.

Over the passed 7200 miles, my average is 14mpg. I feel like something is wrong with my truck....or is this to be expected? (Never hauling a trailer, sometimes a load in the bed but rare.)

This is all from the dash read out, which is probably actually higher than my actual MPG. My Silverado (5.3L v8) was getting the same kind of numbers with a 3 inch BL and 33s.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links