2013 EcoBoost oil cap inspection @ 8500 Km - Yellow stuff is back!

This is a discussion on 2013 EcoBoost oil cap inspection @ 8500 Km - Yellow stuff is back! within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; UPDATE 2014-05-21 Quick update here, after 2 months now @ 10000 Km I checked again my oil cap to see this Same oil, same driving ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2013 EcoBoost oil cap inspection @ 8500 Km - Yellow stuff is back!

Member #

Exclamation 2013 EcoBoost oil cap inspection @ 8500 Km - Yellow stuff is back!

UPDATE 2014-05-21
    Quick update here, after 2 months now @ 10000 Km I checked again my oil cap to see this

Same oil, same driving habit, close range commuting on weekdays.

So, it looks like other have said, it cleaned up by itself.

Temperature here is now hotter, finally spring as come... ~10C to 25C range.

And we went to our first camping trip last week-end so a nice trip of 150 Km with 8000 Lbs towing that helped "engine" to clean itself.

So, I guess a catch can "would" help mostly in winter but still the engine would auto-clean itself at some point during longer/harder trip.

Hey folks,

I'm not a pro mecanic but I can do basic stuff myself and always keep an eye at everything runs good. Here is my intro thread for more info on me and my truck
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3-...n-s-touch.html

I already unmounted and checked for water in my CAC @ 7000 Km, reaveling ~ 1oz of cocktail and oily deposit inside. More info and video here:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31...e-removal.html

Now today after reading all the latest post in the "fix for condensation" thread, dcfluid was speaking about a custom made oil cap vent... so I decided to check mine too right away.

I have 8500 Km, everything stock neither NO drain hole in intercooler and I'm running Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 since the 5000 Km mark.

Video here on my OneDrive
    http://1drv.ms/1e67er2

Next 3 pics here
    Photo: 12-Oil cap inspection @ 8500Km (1) | 2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Lariat Off-Road album | Laurent "AnGeL" Martin | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

So what do you thing ? Nothing ? Show this to dealer ?

Do a "custom" oil cap vent too or get the RX Performance oil cap filter ?

I want to keep this truck for the next 8-10 years, short commuting, casual trip and RV towing.

Climate is rough here, going -40C to +40C all year around.
    Last edited by angel2167882; 05-21-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Update
    Laurent "AnGeL" Martin - Aug-2013 F-150 V6 EcoBoost Lariat SuperCrew ShortBed
    4X4 - 502A Pack (Tow pack, Sun roof, HID, nav+cam) - Off-Road Pack (3.55:1 w/E-Lock, 18' LT, skid plate) - PowerScope
    Mods: Front licence frame delete - To come: AirLift RideControl, AFE Stage 1 DryS, HID 3000K fog, Pop&Lock tailgate elock, in-bed 12V cig outlet + LED bar

Member #
    Liked
    275 times

That is god awful looking prob one of the worse I have seen for these trucks. Looks like yellow paint. You definitely need a RX Catch Can the complete kit!

Member #
    Liked
    475 times
    The RX catch can is the most important thing you can get for your Eco. You need to get one asap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    At least 1 on 3 F-150 is EcoBoost here... is Ford will ignore all of them ?

And I'm afraid of the RX Catch can for thoses 2 things:

-It need drilling in OEM turbo pipe so void warranty and hardly reversable
    -What would happens if the can is full ? Risk of the cocktail injestion into intake manifold ?
    Laurent "AnGeL" Martin - Aug-2013 F-150 V6 EcoBoost Lariat SuperCrew ShortBed
    4X4 - 502A Pack (Tow pack, Sun roof, HID, nav+cam) - Off-Road Pack (3.55:1 w/E-Lock, 18' LT, skid plate) - PowerScope
    Mods: Front licence frame delete - To come: AirLift RideControl, AFE Stage 1 DryS, HID 3000K fog, Pop&Lock tailgate elock, in-bed 12V cig outlet + LED bar

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    I don't see how it would void a warranty. It doesn't add any HP or torque. I haven't installed mine yet but I plan on checking it once a week. Takes all of 5 min.

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    Quote Originally Posted by angel2167882 View Post
    At least 1 on 3 F-150 is EcoBoost here... is Ford will ignore all of them ?

And I'm afraid of the RX Catch can for thoses 2 things:

-It need drilling in OEM turbo pipe so void warranty and hardly reversable
    -What would happens if the can is full ? Risk of the cocktail injestion into intake manifold ?
    A couple things to put your mind at rest. The warranty cannot by law be voided for the RX system as it maintains a closed and emissions compliant PCV system, and the law states the mod has to be proven to directly cause the failure the claim is for. And the RX system fixes what causes the engine failures, etc.

Most cans are 1.5-2 oz capacity so the full can is a concern, the RX system is 10-12 oz capacity for the standard dual valve, the Monster is over 20, so you would have to forget for quite some time. If you forget, it is similar to having no can at all, but is still not good. It does need to be emptied at regular intervals.

And last, with more than 14,000 in use over the past 12 plus years, and dealer being some of the bigger customers using these, never has anyone reported their warranty voided from one. Now a open can with a breather, or one that defeats crankcase evacuation sure could.

And last, the intake pipe you drill into is only a $40-$50 part to replace if you had a need to go back to stock. But looking at whay is accumulating in that engine, the RX system will eliminate that and save the engine. Small price for the insurance of longevity.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardking419 View Post
    I don't see how it would void a warranty. It doesn't add any HP or torque. I haven't installed mine yet but I plan on checking it once a week. Takes all of 5 min.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by angel2167882 View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm not a pro mecanic but I can do basic stuff myself and always keep an eye at everything runs good. Here is my intro thread for more info on me and my truck
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3-...n-s-touch.html

I already unmounted and checked for water in my CAC @ 7000 Km, reaveling ~ 1oz of cocktail and oily deposit inside. More info and video here:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31...e-removal.html

Now today after reading all the latest post in the "fix for condensation" thread, dcfluid was speaking about a custom made oil cap vent... so I decided to check mine too right away.

I have 8500 Km, everything stock neither NO drain hole in intercooler and I'm running Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 since the 5000 Km mark.

Video here on my OneDrive
    http://1drv.ms/1e67er2

Next 3 pics here
    Photo: 12-Oil cap inspection @ 8500Km (1) | 2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Lariat Off-Road album | Laurent "AnGeL" Martin | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

So what do you thing ? Nothing ? Show this to dealer ?

Do a "custom" oil cap vent too or get the RX Performance oil cap filter ?

I want to keep this truck for the next 8-10 years, short commuting, casual trip and RV towing.

Climate is rough here, going -40C to +40C all year around.
    What you're seeing, an air/oil/water emulsion (think mayonnaise) is the result of often not driving the vehicle long enough for HEAT to burn off water vapors condensed within the crankcase post your last drive.

SOP, nothing to worry about.

Member #
    Liked
    2622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner Boost View Post
    A couple things to put your mind at rest. The warranty cannot by law be voided for the RX system as it maintains a closed and emissions compliant PCV system, and the law states the mod has to be proven to directly cause the failure the claim is for. And the RX system fixes what causes the engine failures, etc.

Most cans are 1.5-2 oz capacity so the full can is a concern, the RX system is 10-12 oz capacity for the standard dual valve, the Monster is over 20, so you would have to forget for quite some time. If you forget, it is similar to having no can at all, but is still not good. It does need to be emptied at regular intervals.

And last, with more than 14,000 in use over the past 12 plus years, and dealer being some of the bigger customers using these, never has anyone reported their warranty voided from one. Now a open can with a breather, or one that defeats crankcase evacuation sure could.

And last, the intake pipe you drill into is only a $40-$50 part to replace if you had a need to go back to stock. But looking at whay is accumulating in that engine, the RX system will eliminate that and save the engine. Small price for the insurance of longevity.

Cheers!

That law doesn't apply in Canada.

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    All EB's need one due to the fact that the PCV system only evacuates at idle and low throttle, that is why you see that gunk, and you surely dont want that in any part of the engine internally. Those 200 plus with the RX system have eliminated all of this. Hope some post their pictures. The RX system corrects the flaw in the EB's system so none of this accumulates in the crankcase anymore. It is evacuated like it should be so it can cause no harm. We only want un-contaminated oil in the crankcase, no water/unburnt fuel/sulfuric acid/etc.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner Boost View Post
    A couple things to put your mind at rest. The warranty cannot by law be voided for the RX system as it maintains a closed and emissions compliant PCV system, and the law states the mod has to be proven to directly (why not indirectly??)cause the failure the claim is for. And the RX system fixes what causes the engine failures, etc.

On the other hand should Ford decide that your mod directly, or even indirectly, caused a problem it will become YOUR responsibility to prove otherwise.

Cheers!
    The larger the catch can is the more engine lubricating oil it will prevent from returning to the sump.

That's just one of the reasons why most factory AOS, Air/Oil Separators, drain the "captured" oil directly back into the sump.

There is a very REAL need for oil catch cans but mostly in the high performance aftermarket.

That 1000HP Corvette engine TB "touts", for instance.

With that level of HP improvement even the tiniest amount of crankcase oil mist reaching the combustion chamber would be seriously detrimental.

So where is the "LINE".

Who needs a catch can?

1.) If you track your Ecoboost.

2.) Drive in any venue that requires EXCESSIVE (compared to "normal" roadway use) WOT/on-boost operational periods.

3.) "tune" your EcoBoost to perform, HP/Torque wise, beyond factory specifications.

IMMHO anyone matching one of these criteria would, should know, to check the engine conditions, oil level, catch can drain, etc, post an event period.

Basically if you're asking how often to drain a catch can then you have no need for one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links