Coolant leak near turbo? - Page 11

Coolant leak near turbo?

This is a discussion on Coolant leak near turbo? within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by DNA Dan I had my trans on a jack and removed the entire downpipe when I did this job. You can jack ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Coolant leak near turbo?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    I had my trans on a jack and removed the entire downpipe when I did this job. You can jack up the trans a little more than it is, but I wouldn't push it more than 1" or so. You have to remove the trans mount off the trans, or you will be pulling up on the down pipe. The bolts are a huge PITA. I could only get about 1/4 turn at a time on them.

Some advice on the coolant lines - Keep the feed line off the block until you install the turbo. If this line is attached to the block, it makes it difficult to get enough leverage on it to push it into the turbo. I didn't remove the lower turbo bracket on the block, so I had to wiggle the turbo to get it into place. If that supply line is anchored in the block, the other end needs to be at the right angle or it won't slide in easily.

I got mine all finished and buttoned up. Drives sooooo much better. I know the CR manifolds have better geometry, but I think fixing the exhaust leak has made all the difference. I can tell the turbos spool sooner because more of those gases are pushing the turbo. I bet a lot of people who complain their trucks have become sluggish have this exhaust leak issues going on. It seems to really affect the low RPM velocity on the turbos. It pulls much stronger in the low RPMs when the motor is lugging along. I am very happy with the result I am seeing so far. About a 2 MPG bump in town driving, 20 MPG on the freeway easily. This is with the Lie-o-meter and not a lot of miles yet. Keep at it, it's worth the effort!
    I got the driverside done today with my father helping. It took two of us. I ended up going in from the passenger side to remove the snap ring holding the coolant feed line on the jiffy tight. Then popped the hose off and went from down low behind the trans with a 3ft extension(if you don't have one buy one I use it all the time for my Cobra dropping the trans) and another 8-12" extension with a universal and thin walled short 19mm 12 point socket. Off it came with a little help from my hand through the passenger side to help guide it on the fitting.

Lubed up the new fitting o-rings and threaded it in by hand then used the same extension setup with 1/2" to 3/8" adapter into a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter to the inch pound torque wrench and 159 in/lbs. That side sucked!

Anyways all new jiffy tights and lines now. Just throwing the manifolds on now and will finish it up this week. Going to replace my accessory belts as well and looks like I have a transmission oil line to the rad leaking so I will try to get that buttoned up and then either go to the dealer for a flush or see how crappy a job it is at home to do.

For the record I got that driverside jiffy tight out with the downpipe still in place. Trans wasn't jacked up or lowered either. If you did lower it down a bit that would help some.
    Last edited by torchred; 04-22-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Blown F-150 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblest View Post
    I did the CRP manifolds and GT Turbos at the same time. Believe I got the first production run of manifolds. Truck sounded crazy to what it was before.
    Turbos spool instantly. Couldn't be happier!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    What are the GT turbos? I keep seeing them mentioned but I can't seem to find any other info or where to buy them.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lghtnfst View Post
    What are the GT turbos? I keep seeing them mentioned but I can't seem to find any other info or where to buy them.
    Think these are em;
    https://www.stage3motorsports.com/T0...grade-Kit.html

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    SCT Livewire TS+ w/ 5*custom 93 tune / AFE CAI / AFE Blade Runner charge pipe / AFE 4" cat back / Snow Performance water/meth kit / 170 Tstat / CR Performance full bore exhaust manifolds / Full Race GT Turbos / Turbo Smart BOVs / UPR dual catch can / SP534 Plugs at .03 Some others; Hellwig sway bars / Bilstein shocks / Pro Comp add a leafs / walnut blast valves / 180k miles orig. eng. / heavy foot

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Sponsored Links