Coolant leak near turbo? - Page 2

Coolant leak near turbo?

This is a discussion on Coolant leak near turbo? within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; My buddy's truck just got that work done, luckily under warranty Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Coolant leak near turbo?

Ecoboost Jr Member jerrygomez0809's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    My buddy's truck just got that work done, luckily under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lariatf150 View Post
    Unbelievable. Dealer finally had a chance to investigate and says they need to replace the tube (s) feeding coolant to the turbo. Intake has to be removed to get to it?...so they say. Estimate is almost $900.
    I can't do this one my own and would be afraid if I tried to just replace a seal or something less involved that it wouldn't fix it, so I'm sort of at their mercy. But good lord...$900 for such a simple problem? Seems like Ford would have made the connections replaceable.
    I'm surprised they are replacing the entire run of coolant lines to the turbos. In my case, and most I have read about on this forum, it is the plastic quick connectors that connect the coolant lines to the turbos that failed and needed to be replaced (but I am not sure if those connectors are on my 2012 while not on your 2014).
    Hawshunter77 likes this.
    2012 3.5 Lariat 4x4 Offroad, Max Tow w/ 3.73EL, stock tune with weep

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Coolant leak near turbo?

My 2014 with 33k miles has a faint coolant smell and the reservoir was a little low. And this was after a 1500 mile trip.
    Looks the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Gents, I have the same issue but on the passenger side turbo. Luckily, I just passed my warranty so I get to do this myself. The parts diagram is pretty vague, I'm assuming that the 4 in/out coolant lines are some combination of items 23-29 but can't really tell. Anyone want to decypher this picture? The leak is on the top line, passenger side turbo and do I need the line or can just the o-ring be replaced (which isn't shown at all). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  turbo.PNG
Views: 5916
Size:  47.5 KB

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    So all of my choices were wrong! I found the part number for the fittings here https://www.f150forum.com/f70/turbo-...e-leak-275810/ and just ordered them from Tascaparts. We'll see how the repair goes next weekend!
    Hawshunter77 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I'm feeling your guys pain as well. One dealer quoted $1300 to fix the drivers side turbo coolant line that runs to the back of the engine where you can't reach. It is the rubber o ring inside the quick connects that fail. The quick connects on the turbos and on the engine block are of different thread sizes. a 21 MM socket is needed to remove the ones on the engine block.

I attempted to do this myself and got as far as removing the e-clip from the quick connect and pulling the line on the back of the engine. I am unable to get a socket on the quick connect to remove and fix the rubber o-ring inside. Had it towed to another Ford dealership and they tell me because of my 'after-market parts' they don't want to touch it. I even said, just replace the coolant line and quick connect and i'll reassemble the intake manifold, throttle body and CAI in their parking lot. Service manager is saying no to this... What the hell do I do? These quick connections are a mess to deal with.

The only after market parts involved with this are the AFE CAI, AFE Charge Pipe and the water meth kit after the throttle body.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Update; Service manager gave it second thought and allowed me to discuss which actual line it was with the technician. Personally, thats a first for a Ford dealership allowing me to discuss anything with a technician. Service writer called back and quoted 525 to replace that line only and I'll be responsible for putting intake manifold, etc. back together. Whew... Just waiting on parts to be ordered and installed. I double confirmed with the technician which parts are on order and he did me a solid by also ordering new seals for the coolant cross over bar that runs underneath the intake. I'm just crossing my fingers there are no other issues. ETA is end of day tomorrow, lets hope its a good Friday night with the new CR Performance exhaust manifolds / Full Race turbos / 170 Tstat / and new tunes!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lariatf150 View Post
    Unbelievable. Dealer finally had a chance to investigate and says they need to replace the tube (s) feeding coolant to the turbo. Intake has to be removed to get to it?...so they say. Estimate is almost $900.
    I can't do this one my own and would be afraid if I tried to just replace a seal or something less involved that it wouldn't fix it, so I'm sort of at their mercy. But good lord...$900 for such a simple problem? Seems like Ford would have made the connections replaceable.
    Same here. I have the Ford ESP full warranty (7 years/75K miles). Since the leak is from the coolant hose it is not covered. The hose is $28, but it takes five hours of labor to get to it. (estimate $900) Bad engineering.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_FX4 View Post
    Same here. I have the Ford ESP full warranty (7 years/75K miles). Since the leak is from the coolant hose it is not covered. The hose is $28, but it takes five hours of labor to get to it. (estimate $900) Bad engineering.
    Leak is not from hose, per say, but from the quick connect rubber o-ring that is attached to engine block and or turbo. Most people are replacing the OEM setup with AN fittings and braided hoses. Wish I had gone that route. SMH!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    SCT Livewire TS+ w/ 5*custom 93 tune / AFE CAI / AFE Blade Runner charge pipe / AFE 4" cat back / Snow Performance water/meth kit / 170 Tstat / CR Performance full bore exhaust manifolds / Full Race GT Turbos / Turbo Smart BOVs / UPR dual catch can / SP534 Plugs at .03 Some others; Hellwig sway bars / Bilstein shocks / Pro Comp add a leafs / walnut blast valves / 180k miles orig. eng. / heavy foot

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    i have same problem now on my 2013 with 90k. it is definetly the fitting with the clip and the black pipe so im assuming the oring. i know it doesnt look easy but i would like to attempt fixing it myself as the stories i hear are dealer charges alot for labor. from someone who has done it, how difficult and did you change fitting or oring and does anyone have the part number. thanks

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links