2011 Ecoboost stall on warm restart - Page 3

2011 Ecoboost stall on warm restart

This is a discussion on 2011 Ecoboost stall on warm restart within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I didn’t have time to do anything with it this weekend but did manage to film the issue first hand today. Yes I’ve tried priming ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2011 Ecoboost stall on warm restart

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

11 Ecoboost stall on warm restart

I didn’t have time to do anything with it this weekend but did manage to film the issue first hand today. Yes I’ve tried priming the system and it makes no difference.

Couldn't get the video to upload from my phone
    Last edited by Lstman; 03-13-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Have you checked for build up on the throttle body? Every vehicle idles based on the position of the butterfly plate inside there. If carbon or debris build up and prevent this plate from being in the closed (or nearly closed) position at idle, the vehicle won't idle.
    Mass air flow sensors being dirty or damaged will prevent a vehicle from idling.
    waterbuffalo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1713 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneytxps View Post
    It does sound like a fuel issue.

However, maybe the throttle body itself. I have seen lots of issues with them, some with and some without codes.
    Usually the TB issue comes on in a different manner with these trucks, but I definitely wouldn't rule it out of the equation.
    waterbuffalo likes this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Through some abuse (in my opinion) I [email protected]#KED with it long enough yesterday and made present the problem a few times in a row. This must have really pissed it off because it finally threw on the CEL and had a couple codes. P0087 and P00C6....no surprise but they are both low fuel pressure codes. I looked at all the live data related to fuel and or throttle position and the only things that looked off were the fuel pressure readings. Under normal idle it runs about 200psi but when it started acting up it dropped down to 24psi. My tech at the dealership actually had time to look at it and rigged up a mechanical gauge beings this model is not able to read low side fuel pressure with the scanners. He confirmed the scanner reading and when he opened the line and had another person try to start it he got a big glug of air and little fuel out of the line coming from the tank. They are confident that it is the low pressure pump in the fuel tank. My reservation is that they were confident it was the HPFP previously. IF this does fix it I will be very happy and i will be having a talk with them about the bill! I believe that not all of it should be on me as they didnt fix the problem the first time and i paid that bill in full.

I'll keep you all updated and hopefully this is the final fix.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I picked it up and tried to get it to do it again. So far with the first test it seems to be fixed! I will update if that changes...

Thanks for the ideas to try!! .some new some old but it’s all good info

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by firefo2026 View Post
    I was wondering if this is the same as my problem. I drive it like 30 miles and then let it sit for maybe 20-30 minutes and restart it. Idles really rough when I restart it and has little power. If I can finally get it to rev up then the problem goes away. I been getting low fuel pressure codes on mine recently. I took it to a shop but they couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel system when they check the pressures. They gave up and said I should take it to a dealer.
    Didn’t want to leave you hanging if you lost track of this thread but on initial test mine seems to be fixed with a new low pressure pump.
    RedRooster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1713 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstman View Post
    Through some abuse (in my opinion) I [email protected]#KED with it long enough yesterday and made present the problem a few times in a row. This must have really pissed it off because it finally threw on the CEL and had a couple codes. P0087 and P00C6....no surprise but they are both low fuel pressure codes. I looked at all the live data related to fuel and or throttle position and the only things that looked off were the fuel pressure readings. Under normal idle it runs about 200psi but when it started acting up it dropped down to 24psi. My tech at the dealership actually had time to look at it and rigged up a mechanical gauge beings this model is not able to read low side fuel pressure with the scanners. He confirmed the scanner reading and when he opened the line and had another person try to start it he got a big glug of air and little fuel out of the line coming from the tank. They are confident that it is the low pressure pump in the fuel tank. My reservation is that they were confident it was the HPFP previously. IF this does fix it I will be very happy and i will be having a talk with them about the bill! I believe that not all of it should be on me as they didnt fix the problem the first time and i paid that bill in full.

I'll keep you all updated and hopefully this is the final fix.
    So I'm guessing the original dealer diagnosis was basically them looking at the live data from the PCM, instead of actually doing a proper physical check including a pressure test for the in tank pump.
    Now you know the difference between a tech and a mechanic. Obviously the mechanic was on holidays the first time around.
    I told you it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
    I'm glad it's solved.

Back to enjoying driving, Lstman.
    Lstman likes this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    So I'm guessing the original dealer diagnosis was basically them looking at the live data from the PCM, instead of actually doing a proper physical check including a pressure test for the in tank pump.
    Now you know the difference between a tech and a mechanic. Obviously the mechanic was on holidays the first time around.
    I told you it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
    I'm glad it's solved.

Back to enjoying driving, Lstman.
    Yeah, unfortunately they were only looking at monitored data. I believe on the 2013's and up they are able to monitor both the fuel rail and the inlet to help differentiate and diagnose low fuel pressure issues. On the positive note they did not charge me for the extra diagnostic time so I didn't have to argue with them on the repair cost.

It is much more enjoyable now that I am not having to plan my driving and stops to work with/around the problem that I was dealing with!
    noodles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This was the most frustrating intermittent problem I have ever had!!! Let me guess, you get a P0087 low fuel rail pressure code? I had my truck in several shops over two years including the dealer. Everything I could find told me it was the HPFP. I replaced it, got a little better fuel mileage is all. Cleaned all my air sensors, changed plugs, and boots. Continually got worse. Finally had a different U code for the fuel pump driver module. Changed it, nothing. Finally decided to change the pickup pump in the tank. FIXED IT!!!!! It makes no sense that they would have a non serviceable fuel filter. For giggles I tore apart the old pump/sending unit. I’m a ex mechanic and I have never seen a fuel filter so dirty! I even found a horse fly sucked up to the sock. Haha the capless fuel take filler I’m sure does not help. But as dirty as it was, it makes sense why only when warm. The pump was heavily overworked and I’m sure getting hot. I hope this helps you!
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think I'm headed down this same road. Has happened to me twice, on a warm restart the truck won't get much above idle and has no power. The first time, it didn't throw a code. The second time a P0087 (yesterday). I'll keep an eye on it, but wouldn't be too surprised to be replacing the intake fuel pump. I'm pretty good at it, as I had a suburban where the pump would go out about once a year. . . . Any suggestions for the replacement? Napa/Ford/Other?
    2014 SC 4x4 6.5' Bed 3.73 8200 GVWR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links