Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost. - Page 6

Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost.

This is a discussion on Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost. within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Glad to see it worked out in the end! I wonder if the last bit is from the silencers in the intake that a lot ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost.

Gold Supporting Member sleipnir's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Glad to see it worked out in the end! I wonder if the last bit is from the silencers in the intake that a lot of people take out to hear the spool up noise
    2012 4x4 Lariat 3.5 || 3.73 with e-locker || Full Race Turbos || Full Race Downpipes || CRP Manifolds || AFE Stage II Intake || AFE Charge Pipe || CPE Intercooler || Tubrosmart BOV || Retrofit Headlights || Tifosi Performance Special Touch || "Secret Sauce" Tuned || MSD Blaster Coil || Racho RS9000XL Rear Shocks || Fox 2.0 Coilovers || Morimoto LED Fogs || More to come

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Took it to the dealer today. Did the recall stuff but “couldn’t reproduce” the hooting noise. Said they verified the function of the turbos and everything is fine. Hooting the same on the drive home. Guess I will have to wait until it turns into something bigger or get used to it. I did change the oil on Tuesday and will confirm the transmission fluid level later just to be sure it isn’t something silly like that. Maybe it’s normal. I do have another three years of drivetrain warranty and it’s been documented now.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Just a brief update. The howl is still there, but seems to be quieter when the coolant and transmission fluid are at full temperature.

Tried recently:
    -remove the air spinner things from the intake - no difference.
    -removed the passenger side wheel and wheelwell liner and checked the wastegate on the passenger turbo closely. it does actually start to move slightly at 5psi so my initial diagnosis isn't the issue.
    -checked the transmission fluid level and added a few ounces of lubeguard red. - no difference.
    -checked the transfer case level, all good. I do have redline D4 transmission fluid in there and am wondering if the ester (higher oxidation levels, maybe) is a possible cause.
    -driving a bit with the windows open, the sound seems to come from the back of the truck more than the front, now, but that could just be perception.

I am thinking of changing the TC to ford's recommended fluid. The sound was there last winter before changing to redline, so probably not it either.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    So I am no longer 95% fixed. With the fluctuations of temperature this last month I have had a few mornings driving in - temperatures and a couple of days with unmistakable hooting again. Of course now that its warm all is good. So now I wonder if things are fine right after the reflash or memory clear and then once the truck starts to 'modify' shift points it creates some back pressure. I am now leaning this direction as right after the mem clear the truck was holding better rpms and all was good, then when it started doing the fuel mileage changes to hold a higher gear I start to hear the noise again. Most noticeable cold, going from 20 or 30 km/hr up another 20-30 km/hr in speed with light to moderate gas pedal pressure. In this situation my truck tries to hold the highest gear possible and seems like its building boost, then when I let off the low rpm seems to not be able to accept the boost and it produces the noise as the turbo spools down. Still shaking my head with all the testing and parts changed. I am really wondering what the heck to do next.
    2013 Ruby Red FX4 Ecoboost 5.5 box Crew with Max Tow Package

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Same with mine. Same sound during the same driving situation. Do two trucks with the same noise make it "normal"? I'm going to try driving from cold in "sport" mode and see if it's still there. I tried it in sport mode today when hot, but it's hard to keep the speed down and actually listen. It does keep rpms significantly higher is sport mode. Worth a try.
    Last edited by TCP2; 04-20-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I am so tempted to try a tune as they optimize the shift points. Also toying with the idea of a real BOV - if the advertising is correct they are better at managing boost due to their quick response. That all said, I am tired of guessing and dumping money into an otherwise good truck and just want a real solution.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I also had a question for the other guys having this same problem. Does anyone out there have an after market vent to atmosphere bov like the Turbosmart TS-0215-1367. The guys at the turbo shop did tell me that the noise is definitely a surge. Wondering if the computer is not able to adapt enough to prevent this issue then maybe the new bov can - they claim its much better. I mentioned this before as a possible item to try but interested if someone else has already gone that route and what the results are.
    Thanks

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    995 times
    I’m running a Tial BOV and would say it responds pretty quick. I think the TurboSmart is even better. Used ones pop up On Kijiji here and there if you keep an eye out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Having trouble with this train of thought. I can hold it at a steady speed (30km/h) and the hooting is there and uniformly stable. I can keep it hooting forever. The definition of a surge would be a brief moment of the issue, whereas this can happen indefinitely with the right inputs. It's more like a resonance for me. I can hear it during gear shifts very briefly as the engine passed through the same rpm range...at least from 2nd to 4th gear or so.

It is more like the PWM signal from some control system resonating in the solenoid it's controlling. I have designed control systems to run actuators with a PWM signal and this sounds like that type of system at a very low (audible) frequency instead of above 20k Hz where you would usually run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calg_Rider View Post
    I also had a question for the other guys having this same problem. Does anyone out there have an after market vent to atmosphere bov like the Turbosmart TS-0215-1367. The guys at the turbo shop did tell me that the noise is definitely a surge. Wondering if the computer is not able to adapt enough to prevent this issue then maybe the new bov can - they claim its much better. I mentioned this before as a possible item to try but interested if someone else has already gone that route and what the results are.
    Thanks
    Last edited by TCP2; 05-06-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    995 times
    Once I got my aftermarket WGs all sealed up, mine stopped having the issue.

I have a WG solenoid that’s good if either of you want to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    snakebitten likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponsored Links