Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost.

This is a discussion on Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost. within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Hi Guys, So in the spring the dealership replaced my drivers side turbo due to an oil leak on the turbo. This happened with about ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Hi Guys,

So in the spring the dealership replaced my drivers side turbo due to an oil leak on the turbo. This happened with about 2 weeks and 200 km of factory warranty left on the truck. After picking it up it seemed to run fine but once or twice a month I would get a strange hoot noise coming off boost at mild to moderate acceleration. This noise was not reproducible on demand so I had no way of proving to the dealer that I thought something was a bit off. 2 months ago I had a MAP sensor go and the hooting noise is now becoming more noticeable. They diagnosed the sensor and performed the repairs but claimed no fault found on the turbo noise. I do extensive winter travel so this has become a safety concern so yesterday I went to a private garage and had them look at it. First thing we did was real test drive where the tech was able to hear the noise. He then rechecked all the hoses and tested the wastegates for function. He then brought be back to see the oil that was all over the "new" turbo. We stopped there as the time/money was starting to add up but I am now looking at what was either a false repair by the dealer back in the spring or a defective part.

I want to take this up with Ford Canada to see if they will back this obviously bad part. If anyone can point me to one of the site members that is on the Canadian side I would greatly appreciate it.
    2013 Ruby Red FX4 Ecoboost 5.5 box Crew with Max Tow Package

Ecoboost Regular jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    The driver's side turbo gets all smegged up with PCV ****. Is this the case? Do the castings look relatively new? Hardware? Tool marks anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Will look more carefully for tool marks. Crazy thing is that I NEVER heard this noise prior to the repairs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    My truck was making this owl-hooting noise too, right when you let off the throttle. I replaced the BOV with an aftermarket turbosmart one and the problem went away but my new problem is now I love to hear the BOV to atmosphere and canít get enough of it. Try that out.

2012 Screw 3.5L

Ecoboost Regular jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Calg_Rider View Post
    Will look more carefully for tool marks. Crazy thing is that I NEVER heard this noise prior to the repairs.
    What year is the truck?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    My Truck is a 2013 - I swapped out the bov for another new factory model and no change. Truck is stock. One other note of interest is the time the turbo was swapped they also did the timing chain and cam phazers. Dont think that is really related but hey, better to paint the full picture.
    Last edited by Calg_Rider; 12-18-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbuffalo View Post
    My truck was making this owl-hooting noise too, right when you let off the throttle. I replaced the BOV with an aftermarket turbosmart one and the problem went away but my new problem is now I love to hear the BOV to atmosphere and canít get enough of it. Try that out.

2012 Screw 3.5L
    I also replaced the wastegates as well at that same time so, not sure which it is. The stock BOV looked fine, no tears in it that I could see. I didnít inspect the wastegates as they are all one piece in a sealed case. So my guess is it could be one or the other.

2012 Screw 3.5L

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    I'd keep following the leads you're following. Common sense wins out, and my perception of your symptoms would lead me to that BOV or wastegate. Could also be a hose loose, but if you already had that inspected, i'd feel good proceeding the path you're on.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    So your thinking likely just the air management issue - wastegate or bov? I was also until I saw the oil on the unit. If as suggested the oil is "normal" then yes I will likely look into replacing the wastegate since the bov is already done.

Member #
    Liked
    365 times

The oil is normal...to a certain point (not on the outside though, on the inside, yes). I would lead to believe itís a wastegate then. Because mine did do that exact noise your talking about and now itís gone.

2012 Screw 3.5L

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links