After install Catch can results - Page 3

After install Catch can results

This is a discussion on After install Catch can results within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Wyss44 Topping off what I was losing though the can. I was filling a 20oz bottle every 500-800 miles. Couldn't figure out ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: After install Catch can results

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyss44 View Post
    Topping off what I was losing though the can. I was filling a 20oz bottle every 500-800 miles. Couldn't figure out why it was canning so much oil, 15-17psi boost maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ncH View Post
    It's oil/gas tho so you probably weren't losing as much oil as you think

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    The bottle has nothing but oil in it... there's no mix. Too much in my opinion.
    Lizardking419 likes this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3289 times
    Your catch can should be catching oil MIXED with gas. The can is designed to trap the vapors in the medium (aka steel wool) and to condense it into a liquid. If you are catching only oil then you either have the can installed incorrectly or there is an underlying issue with your engine.
    Lizardking419 and BobRoss like this.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Either that guy poured old oil in a water bottle or there is a more serious issue.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    noodles and milesej05 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post
    Your catch can should be catching oil MIXED with gas. The can is designed to trap the vapors in the medium (aka steel wool) and to condense it into a liquid. If you are catching only oil then you either have the can installed incorrectly or there is an underlying issue with your engine.
    In the summer time I get nothing but oil out of the pass side can, although it does smell gassy. Driver side gets more cocktail mix.
    In the winter time there's much more moisture in there, because of condensation caused by the temp differential of the hot gases and the cold aluminum cans... hence why they'll freeze in the winter.
    Beaker80 likes this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyss44 View Post
    I had to empty mine about every 200 miles or it started puffing smoke. It was the regular size can but sucking all that oil out that frequently was annoying. I was topping off oil level before my change interval, annoying as well. I bought mine for peace of mind and because I plan on taking the rig for many years. I ended up removing it because it was too much to pull over every few hundred miles on my trips over the mountains to empty, top-off oil, and erase the CEL, yes that kicked on frequently also. And yes, everything was installed correctly. I drilled to weep hole months before the can which does drain, evidenced on driveway, so the can only collected oil. Anyways...
    Hey, I got a UPR 5030-124-ECSS and drilled intake tube for sale!
    (not sure why pics are cock-eyed)
    Attachment 156124Attachment 156122
    Mines the exact same way but on the 3.5, it smokes more than a tuned 6.0/6.4 power stroke if you let it idle in traffic or in the driveway for 10/15 minutes. I have noticed if you run higher boost building tunes they fill up faster or in fewer miles if you actually let it build high boost levels like the MPT “PRX high boost tune” which maxes out with 19/18 but it holds 18psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RVNmedic68-69 View Post
    The more I read about a Catch Can system, the more confused I am. I have a 2015 XLT 4x4 2.7L Screw with 30k miles. I read the FAQ and the statement re 2015-17 says you absolutely DON'T need this system. I've read tons of posts, pro and con. On a technical level, it makes sense. On a practical level, do I / will I need it. The hype seems mostly from the companies that sell the can and I think a lot of guys buy the hype that they need it.

If the amount collected is over a 500 mile+ period, it seems the amount of that mixture is sprayed into the cylinders in a minute amount. Yeah, if I keep the truck more than 10 years, the valves will get coked. But if I trade it in in 3 or 4 years from now, is it worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by stereotype one View Post
    I completely understand your dilemma! I also have a 2015 2.7 and have debated getting a catch can since I purchased it. I've finally landed in the "not needed" camp based on where I live (Texas, doesn't get that cold that often), modifications/tunes done (zero), how the truck currently runs (perfectly), and what I could spend the $$$ on what a quality catch can costs (house, girlfriend and her vehicle, dog, enjoying life when I have a few spare pennies, etc.). I change the oil (Amsoil Signature Series) every 5K or so and take it on road trips every couple of months, so I think she'll last me a good while. I figure if I ever need a walnut blasting done, I'll look at buying a catch can after that's done. Also, I'm the sort of person who drives a vehicle until everyone's embarrassed to be seen in it, drive it a few more years after that, and then replace it, but only if it dies. (BTW, no disrespect implied to any Boosters who run tunes and have modified their trucks ) - David
    From my experience with my '17 3.5EB we most definitely need the passenger side can and I've heard mixed reviews on the drivers side or getting the dual can. If I had it to do over again I would definitely go with a dual if I was already getting the pass side can and with a bigger option than the JLT that I went with. I'm getting ~1/2" of oil/gas every other tank of gas ~900-1200 miles depending on how much spirited driving I do. Even though the '17 3.5EB was the first year for the dual, port and direct injection and 10 speed trans I still wouldn't run without it given my results.
    RVNmedic68-69 likes this.

2017 SCREW 3.5L XLT FX4 3.31 Locker w/302pkg Ruby Red/Magnetic Metallic
    Roush intake, tune, exhaust, floormats
    Carhartt F&R seat covers
    JLT pass. side catch can
    Tailgate "easy down" strut

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post
    Unless he is for some reason pulling too much vacuum and actually pulling oil out of the engine. Otherwise it should be the same amount of oil going thru your standard PCV system as a catch can.
    milesej05 likes this.
    5Star Tune: 87 Perf/Tow, 91 Perf/Tow and 91 Perf; 1000 lbs SumoSprings; KO2 Tires; K&N filter replacement; BOV mod; SOLO MACH-46 4" Cat-Back; Febreeze new car scent air freshener

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links