Horrible fuel mileage - Page 3

Horrible fuel mileage

This is a discussion on Horrible fuel mileage within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Steven Thompson I do know my speedo is off, when going 70, GPS on phone says i'm going 75. Then your mileage ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Horrible fuel mileage

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thompson View Post
    I do know my speedo is off, when going 70, GPS on phone says i'm going 75.
    Then your mileage likely isn't as bad as what your inaccurate readout is giving you. Worry less about the MPG, and more about keeping your speed in check. A tuner is a way to fix this from what I been reading. I've considered it myself.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    I do know my speedo is off, when going 70, GPS on phone says i'm going 75.
    Well, that's your problem if you are just looking at the computer for your mpg's... You are essentially logging LESS miles than you are actually traveling, so the computer is only telling you what it sees.

Even if you hand calculate and take the odo miles, it's still lower than actual miles driven, so there you go...

You gotta fix the the odo to get the correct miles driven.

I had to do that with my 97 F150 when I got taller tires.. That truck was so old, I only had to swap out a speedo gear... After 1999, it's all computer controlled..

Mitch
    Mikedick77 likes this.
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So with dealing with current MPG, what would be first step in upgrades to improve MPG. Tune? And if so any recommendations?

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3148 times
    So with dealing with current MPG, what would be first step in upgrades to improve MPG. Tune? And if so any recommendations?
    Take a look at this. It's got some info and suggestions towards your question.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...challenge.html
    Mikedick77 likes this.
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Even if you got a tuner, kept the stock tune, and just changed your tire size on the tuner you'd see an increase on your display. It'd then be accurate. I cant say as for tunes on effect on mpg. That's a different topic. There is probably some reading on the site as for info on that.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would really like my computer to read more accurately, any suggestions on tuner to change tire size and also ease of use.

Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Hate to break it to you, but your right foot and slowing down are the best mpg mod (other than ditching the tall, wide, heavy tires). There is no mod on the market where the $ amount in fuel savings will ever be more than the initial price of the product. Drive it, enjoy it, or get a fuel efficient vehicle...

if if you want a tune for more power and better drive ability, then go for it, but don’t be surprised if you get worse mpg’s.
    Last edited by Mulyhuntr; 03-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Best step for MPG is go to stock tire size in a highway tire. No AT or MT. Just a nice highway tire. The best tune for MPG is Ford stock tuning and staying out of boost.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3247 times
    I would really like my computer to read more accurately, any suggestions on tuner to change tire size and also ease of use.
    I think you mentioned you have a 2012?

There's currently a "tuner" for sale on here that can calibrate for tire size easily enough. However, I'm pretty sure it is only compatible with 2017+?

Hopefully the fellas with Gen1 3.5's will know more about that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikedick77 View Post
    Big tires, bad gear ratio, maybe a lift too, if you do alot of 15 min or less driving, winter blend gas, all put the MPG of these trucks in the ****ter. Yea it looks cool and all, but you live with the 13mpg.

Thanks for the laugh though. It's been a week (uncharacteristically) or so since the last time someone posted a strikingly similar thread.
    For the OP: Don't worry, most of us have taken their turn in this particular fish barrel. Be sure to search for older threads, this has been a frequent topic. Some go short, some go long and detailed...but the info is there. If you want to search for some of my posts with my username, you'll find a few of my posts and they're probably worth reading for newer truck owners. I went through the learning curve, too.

Fundamentally, it's all about the trade-offs. Truck Designers and Engineers are great people...but they aren't magicians (well, some think they are). The Laws of Physics and Thermodynamic are real and must be dealt with. Electronics have enabled a LOT of improvement, getting us all a lot closer to the "ideal" efficiencies...but we're never going to exceed the fundamental limits. That's what has pushed Ford into aluminum bodies and beds -- steel is just too heavy.

One thing I don't see frequently, is the tip to "reset the CAM." It's the memory module that, among other things, records details of your operating conditions, driving practices and tendencies, etc. In theory, your primary ECM module uses this data to automatically optimize your gas mileage, among other things. In practice, the data can get corrupted, thus GIGO. Two, maybe three years ago, my mileage was really sucking...and the Service Manager at my servicing dealership suggested resetting (clearing) the CAM memory. Tried it...for about 10 days only a slight improvement. Fortunately, it then started improving, pulling me up into the 16-17.5 range round-about our semi-rural town, 18-19 highway at 70 mpg.
    >>>>> Be aware, most Service Managers won't have any idea what the CAM is...they simply aren't into the technical electronics of the vehicle. If not, ask to have their truck electronics guy speak to you, he'll translate for you back to the SM

MPG goes up dramatically if I keep speeds to 60 or below. I can easily get over 22 mpg highway if I do that. However, my time also has value, so for me I pay the extra fuel costs and save time.

Cruise Control is far superior to your foot for improving MPG. I don't know why, it just is. Using cruise as often as you can, even in-town, will up your mileage a bit, at least for the longer hops.

Another short tip: plan your trips so your engine gets properly warmed up. Short hops KILL the 3.5's MPG. And if you're in a really cold clime, don't plan on getting more than perhaps 14.5-15 MPG during the winter.

Be sure you're comparing apples to similar apples. 2011 thru 2014 eco-boosts are good vehicles and engines...but Ford improved the engines over time. One of my buds has a 2018 with better gear ratios than the 3.73 (though I forget exactly what his ratio is), a 3.5 engine, and a 10 speed transmission. He can get into the mid-20s driving highway trips at 70-75. My 2011 3.5 EB with only modest upgrades will never achieve that, that's the plain truth.

Few years back I put on a K&N Air Filter and got immediate MPG gains...about 2 mpg!! However, I gave that back when I put on my hefty brush guard and a high-rise bed cover (Snug-Top, with extra insulation to boot). But you can probably gain a bit with a K&N or similar after-market air filter. Many state that adding larger exhaust tubes & free-flowing muffler also ups the mileage...but if you read the threads thoroughly, not everyone actually sees that improved MPG. Why or why not, I don't know -- but if you go that route, make sure you can live with the resulting increased noise from the exhaust.

Lots of people also go for tuners and custom tunes -- those aren't for me. I want to keep the electronics mostly stock.

Personally, I'm extraordinarily happy with my 2011 F150 EB SCREW -- it's quite simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. But when I put on my desired options...something had to give...and MPG was the penalty paid.

Best of luck!

Jim
    Last edited by F150Rusher; 03-28-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    rpenn57 and Mikedick77 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links