Oil Fuel Dilution - Page 2

Oil Fuel Dilution

This is a discussion on Oil Fuel Dilution within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Me too, if by bike you mean MOTORbike. Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Oil Fuel Dilution

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3061 times
    Me too, if by bike you mean MOTORbike.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Me too, if by bike you mean MOTORbike.

100% agree with that one

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2017 2.7L Bronze Fire 4x4 3.55 145" | Gearhead Tune | UPR DVCC + CSS | Ford Performance Super 8.8" LSD | Hellwig front/rear sway-bar | 12Volt Solutions Remote Starter | Ford Tri-fold tonneau cover | Line X bed liner | Huskey front/rear mud guards & rear wheel well liners | AVS Aeroskin hood shield | Rear block removed

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winchested View Post
    Sorry I have showers at work. But my commute is 53 miles.

If I had a 7 mile commute I'd do it by bike.. And get healthy...

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    Meh.. my commute is about 1 mile and I drive it everyday like Jabba the Hutt..
    Envious and BobRoss like this.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winchested View Post
    A catch Can does help as it catches the PCV blowby and lot of that is fuel that would end up in the oil otherwise.

Toms of us pull lots of fuel out of our catch cans.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    Still don't follow the logic here why a Catch can would help with oil dilution. My understanding, the fuel comes from the direct injector spraying onto the cylinders walls, and not getting fully burned. It gets washed down into the crankcase by the piston rings. It's especially worse when the engine is cold and running rich to get warmed up.

Catch can just removes the vapors from the PCV so it doesn't go back thru and get caked onto valves. It also removes fuel as you guys are seeing. With no catchcan, the fuel from the PCV gets fully mixed with the air and burned, basically like a port injection engine which never had fuel dilution issues.
    Last edited by SuperDave23; 03-25-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    joemac and BobRoss like this.
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Ecoboost Veteran jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Still don't follow the logic here why a Catch can would help with oil dilution. My understanding, the fuel comes from the direct injector spraying onto the cylinders walls, and not getting fully burned. It gets washed down into the crankcase by the piston rings. It's especially worse when the engine is cold and running rich to get warmed up.

Catch can just removes the vapors from the PCV so it doesn't go back thru and get caked onto valves. The fuel from the PCV gets fully mixed with the air and burned, basically like a port injection engine which never had fuel dilution issues.
    The theory is that the fuel that gets washed into the crankcase is vapour, hence the catch can being able to collect and condense it before it become "part" of the oil.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Looks like Amsoil agrees with me:

https://blog.amsoil.com/what-is-fuel...why-is-it-bad/

"One side-effect [of direct injection], however, is fuel dilution. As fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber, it can wash past the rings and down the cylinder walls, into the oil sump."
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Seems to me like a weekly Italian tune-up would solve this problem... *♂️
    BobRoss likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2616 times
    If you don't like our explanations then dont do it. We know it works, I know it works.

If you're magically getting that much fuel dilution then i'm thikning you've got bigger problems like has been stated like the high pressure fuel pump seals in the head.

That's half a quart of mostly water/fuel and very little oil... Those are between fill ups on my small fuel tank.
    Last edited by winchested; 03-25-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Fuel /oil dilution

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Looks like Amsoil agrees with me:

https://blog.amsoil.com/what-is-fuel...why-is-it-bad/

"One side-effect [of direct injection], however, is fuel dilution. As fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber, it can wash past the rings and down the cylinder walls, into the oil sump."

I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost I bought new. I've never had the oil changed by a shop- I use full synth usually, (sometimes synth blend if it's way cheaper) and from the first oil change at 5k, I realized this engine was different than my last truck. Ford says 10k miles on the oil between changes.....ok maybe for some people. I drive 40-50k miles per year, short and long trips. I start the truck about 10-20 times a day every day, sometimes more.

After 2k miles no matter what, my oil distinctly smells like fuel. I tried going to 8k one time and seeing how bad it was coming out made me feel bad about my engine- it was my second oil change. From then on, and still now, I always set my oil change reminder to 30%. When the reminder goes off at 2500 mi (500 to go), I do a quick feel/smell/taste (just kidding) inspection. If it feels and smells like it's extra gassy, I change it soon, at around 3k. If it doesn't smell like gas at all, I reset the reminder and go further, stretching the change to a total of about 4K.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's a waste of oil, but I do this with everything, coolant, trans fluid, gear oil, ball joints etc, and my truck has a quarter million miles on it, runs like a top, still gets 19.2 avg on the highway (with cruise, not my lead foot), and tows my 28 foot travel trailer like a champ. My personal belief is changing the oil sooner is better, no matter what, since the oil's job is to hold all the crap (particles/byproducts) that comes from the engine running, aside from acting as a lube.

Running the engine hot never fixed the gassy smell for me, I just change the oil sooner.
    noodles, Mikedick77 and BobRoss like this.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3061 times
    I'm not going to argue with a Gen1 ECO 3.5 owner who's maintenance procedures have yielded 250,000 miles.

Nope. No way

mwemaxxowner likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links