Oil Fuel Dilution - Page 3

Oil Fuel Dilution

This is a discussion on Oil Fuel Dilution within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by worktruck I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost I bought new. I've never had the oil changed by a shop- I use full ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Oil Fuel Dilution

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by worktruck View Post
    I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost I bought new. I've never had the oil changed by a shop- I use full synth usually, (sometimes synth blend if it's way cheaper) and from the first oil change at 5k, I realized this engine was different than my last truck. Ford says 10k miles on the oil between changes.....ok maybe for some people. I drive 40-50k miles per year, short and long trips. I start the truck about 10-20 times a day every day, sometimes more.

After 2k miles no matter what, my oil distinctly smells like fuel. I tried going to 8k one time and seeing how bad it was coming out made me feel bad about my engine- it was my second oil change. From then on, and still now, I always set my oil change reminder to 30%. When the reminder goes off at 2500 mi (500 to go), I do a quick feel/smell/taste (just kidding) inspection. If it feels and smells like it's extra gassy, I change it soon, at around 3k. If it doesn't smell like gas at all, I reset the reminder and go further, stretching the change to a total of about 4K.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's a waste of oil, but I do this with everything, coolant, trans fluid, gear oil, ball joints etc, and my truck has a quarter million miles on it, runs like a top, still gets 19.2 avg on the highway (with cruise, not my lead foot), and tows my 28 foot travel trailer like a champ. My personal belief is changing the oil sooner is better, no matter what, since the oil's job is to hold all the crap (particles/byproducts) that comes from the engine running, aside from acting as a lube.

Running the engine hot never fixed the gassy smell for me, I just change the oil sooner.
    Your engine start/stop cycles and short trips are what is causing the dilution... at least you're smart to adjust your OLM.
    With my driving cycles, 70% OLM gets me to 6K.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by worktruck View Post
    I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost I bought new. I've never had the oil changed by a shop- I use full synth usually, (sometimes synth blend if it's way cheaper) and from the first oil change at 5k, I realized this engine was different than my last truck. Ford says 10k miles on the oil between changes.....ok maybe for some people. I drive 40-50k miles per year, short and long trips. I start the truck about 10-20 times a day every day, sometimes more.

After 2k miles no matter what, my oil distinctly smells like fuel. I tried going to 8k one time and seeing how bad it was coming out made me feel bad about my engine- it was my second oil change. From then on, and still now, I always set my oil change reminder to 30%. When the reminder goes off at 2500 mi (500 to go), I do a quick feel/smell/taste (just kidding) inspection. If it feels and smells like it's extra gassy, I change it soon, at around 3k. If it doesn't smell like gas at all, I reset the reminder and go further, stretching the change to a total of about 4K.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's a waste of oil, but I do this with everything, coolant, trans fluid, gear oil, ball joints etc, and my truck has a quarter million miles on it, runs like a top, still gets 19.2 avg on the highway (with cruise, not my lead foot), and tows my 28 foot travel trailer like a champ. My personal belief is changing the oil sooner is better, no matter what, since the oil's job is to hold all the crap (particles/byproducts) that comes from the engine running, aside from acting as a lube.

Running the engine hot never fixed the gassy smell for me, I just change the oil sooner.
    Your experience seems to back up the cold start causing dilution theory. Thanks for the info!

Curious, do you run a catch can on your truck? Have you had any valve related issues yet?
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    I'd like to add, cold climate, sits outside and starts at temp outside, 5-10 min warm ups, and a 12 mile drive to work I really noticed a gassy smell and my oil had risen in level. In the summer time that never happened and I swapped out oil at 3500 or so. I was only at 2500 when I noticed it this winter and immediately got rid of the oil.

To me it seems like a cold weather thing too, that it's more noticed. My oil had risen 1/3" on the dipstick when I noticed. I never lose oil, and was a little over full. I did notice an audible light ticking that's usually not there. I'm very anal when it comes to the nuances of the truck.

On a side note, the gas in oil makes me terrified of LSPI, and also can see how diluted and compromised oil can contribute to the timing chain rattle being more frequent or more pronounced. This could contribute to some people reporting that "snake oil" actually works for their timing chain rattles. Different subject, but I have my beliefs on all this. My truck runs pretty good.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1200 times
    It is also true excess fuel is dumped upon cold starts to quick fire the cats and the truck hangs at a higher idle. I believe most fuel dilution comes here. I have mitigated this some what.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WooBoost View Post
    It is also true excess fuel is dumped upon cold starts to quick fire the cats and the truck hangs at a higher idle. I believe most fuel dilution comes here. I have mitigated this some what.
    This is the vast majority of the problem is addressing the cold start fuel mapping in open loop condition. I've done oil analysis on every oil change, recently had TSB-15003 (3.5L GTDI - FUEL ODOR FROM ENGINE OIL AND/OR ENGINE OIL LEVEL OVERFULL) performed with the latest PCM update. On my next oil analysis I'll be able to observe the any delta in change.

First thing for the OP would be to confirm running the latest software fix and recommended PCV valve update if applicable.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    I thought that too. Every time I started the truck in the morning I always kicked the idle down within a few seconds, let it run for 5+ mins.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Liked
    883 times
    My warm up time is 10 seconds. Jump in and go. I can probably get away with that in California winters. I refrain from hitting the gas hard till things are warm. Luckily no gas smell in my oil. Been changing it every 4000k.

Member #
    Liked
    1200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikedick77 View Post
    I thought that too. Every time I started the truck in the morning I always kicked the idle down within a few seconds, let it run for 5+ mins.
    yep, so shut it off.

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    If anyone has a tuner, they can just bump up your idle in neutral and then the truck won’t spook up the turbos on cold-start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RMB_Ryan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    This is the vast majority of the problem is addressing the cold start fuel mapping in open loop condition. I've done oil analysis on every oil change, recently had TSB-15003 (3.5L GTDI - FUEL ODOR FROM ENGINE OIL AND/OR ENGINE OIL LEVEL OVERFULL) performed with the latest PCM update. On my next oil analysis I'll be able to observe the any delta in change.

First thing for the OP would be to confirm running the latest software fix and recommended PCV valve update if applicable.
    Should be getting the latest & greatest from Ford when I go in for the tranny recall update. Still waiting for it to come out for the 13+ EB. Will see it makes any difference.

Truck definitely runs "weird" when you first cold start. Almost feels like it's missing and the exhaust smells VERY rich. More than a typical car at cold start.
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links