Transmission cooler line leak

This is a discussion on Transmission cooler line leak within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Quick question just wondering if anyone has had a leak on the transmission oil cooler out in front of the rad? The top driverside fitting ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DNA Dan

Thread: Transmission cooler line leak

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Quick question just wondering if anyone has had a leak on the transmission oil cooler out in front of the rad? The top driverside fitting has grime all over the hose and down that side of the cooler. Wondering if its a bad clamp or early signs the hose is going to fail. Everything else seems good. I am at 100,000 miles now so was going to get a transmission flush, but before that want to make sure I get this leak dealt with. Was most likely happening when it was -20 to -30*C here all February. I will throw up an actual picture tonight of my cooler and the mess. Swapping out exhaust manifolds at the moment.

Name:  Oil cooler.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  46.9 KB

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    I would just buy a new hose and clamps. It's an easy replacement. When you take it off check the nipple at the side housing to see if the cooler is cracked on that side too.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks I will order up a new line and clamps.

Now the dilemma of do I replace the inside turbocharger coolant feed lines or leave the original ones in? Had to work the driverside one quite a bit to get the turbo out.

Replacing the manifolds with the CRP engineering ones.

I see you have them as well are most of you guys replacing the turbocharger coolant feed lines or just the jiffy tight fittings?

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Funny you should ask... I am just now finishing up the job. PITA huh? Worst part for me was that damn transmission bracket!!

To your question, I reused the lines but replaced the feed fittings in the block. The lines were showing some wear, but I took some fine steel wool to the end to clean off the crud. I used a dab of grease when putting them back in to make sure they slip in easily without pinching the o-ring on the inside. I could not reach the fittings on the heads. I only did the supply fittings on the block and the two on each turbo. If Ihad to do it again, I would probably replace, but I ran out of cash because I decided to swap all my O2 sensors while I was in there. At a minimum, I would replace the front O2 sensors if you have some miles on them. They are much harder to reach than the downstream ones once everything is re-installed. I haven't finished yet, probably another day or two to get all the engine stuff back on.

FYI, The block fitting for the oil supply has a different torgue spec. Check out my post from last weekend https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...ions-help.html
    Last edited by DNA Dan; 04-16-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Mikedick77 likes this.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks, I will replace the feed lines and fittings on the side of the block, the driverside one I had to pull on a bit to pop the line out of the jiffy tight fitting.

I had to replace my front 02's a while back, they were stuck in so tight it was a good excuse to drop the entire factory downpipe and replace with a livernois one.

I am just hesitant because nothing has leaked yet, but I had to wiggle lines and move lines to remove the turbo's and I just have this itchy feeling I am going to get a leak at the rear of the heads, but don't really want to sit and fight with replacing those fittings. Maybe I can just get a hand back there and put some RTV sealant around the fitting and line?

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    It appears you're being thorough with this from the start. Just trust the process, be thorough on reassembly, and it wont leak. Good thing for you Dan was just through this process imo.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Sponsored Links