4wd drivetrain question

4wd drivetrain question

This is a discussion on 4wd drivetrain question within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I think this is a simple question, but figured I'd ask the experts. . . If an IWE or anything vacuum related to the front ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mass-hole
  • 2 Post By tvsjr

Thread: 4wd drivetrain question

Member #
    Liked
    260 times

4wd drivetrain question

I think this is a simple question, but figured I'd ask the experts. . .

If an IWE or anything vacuum related to the front hubs fail or gets unplugged, pinched, etc., it's my understanding you can be "stuck" in 4wd because the hubs will not disengage.

In this scenario will the HUD show you are in 4wd? Even though the dash switch is not engaged?
    Also, will this always lead to a CEL?

Reason I ask is I suspect one of my tires has the IWE engaged. Is this possible to only have one engagement?

I know the test, just not very comfortable starting a vehicle on jack stands.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Ecoboost Veteran jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    It will not notify you, no.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post

If an IWE or anything vacuum related to the front hubs fail or gets unplugged, pinched, etc., it's my understanding you can be "stuck" in 4wd because the hubs will not disengage.

In this scenario will the HUD show you are in 4wd? Even though the dash switch is not engaged?

Reason I ask is I suspect one of my tires has the IWE engaged. Is this possible to only have one engagement?

Yes only one of my hubs got stuck. The vac lines go to each hub and if the IWE itself failed one will get stuck. I replaced the actuator and the check valve and that didn't fix it. So they replaced the IWE itself. My test was turn the wheel sharp in both directions and it chugged since it was in 4wd. When it was out I could easily make that turn.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    Did you have any codes show up?
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    if I ever find any cracks in my hoses I think this will fit
    https://forged-offroad.com/product/2...v=7516fd43adaa
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times

I would think you could just raise the tire in question and turn it by hand and see if the shaft rotates with it.
    Ecobeast matt likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    it's my understanding you can be "stuck" in 4wd because the hubs will not disengage.
    Technically you wouldn't be stuck in 4WD, as the transfer case will still be in 2WD mode. However, the CV shafts would be locked into the wheels. Since you aren't driving the front axle, you won't experience binding.

The RCV IWE eliminators work by doing exactly this... permanently locking things together and removing the ****ty IWEs from the equation.
    Blown F-150 and Ecobeast matt like this.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Did you have any codes show up?
    There is no sensor for the 4wd on the hubs so it will not show codes as a result. I think it will only do that for the t-case (just a guess)
    2018 F150 XLT Sport SuperCrew 2.7L 10psd Magnetic Gray with dealer installed hood deflector, trifold tonneau cover and Gunmetal stainless steel tail gate insterts

K&N Intake, Led headlights by silverlux, Led Fogs, Bully Dog BDX with BCB Highlander, BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT on factory 20's, Bilstein 4600's on the rear

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    Technically you wouldn't be stuck in 4WD, as the transfer case will still be in 2WD mode. However, the CV shafts would be locked into the wheels. Since you aren't driving the front axle, you won't experience binding.

The RCV IWE eliminators work by doing exactly this... permanently locking things together and removing the ****ty IWEs from the equation.
    I did my iwe eliminators yesterday totally worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I did the iwe eliminators yesterday and plugged the vacuum lines and when I go to my truck apps it says I’m in 2wd as normal even though everything is turning except the transfer case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links