Bad Turbo, what do you think? - Page 2

Bad Turbo, what do you think?

This is a discussion on Bad Turbo, what do you think? within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by BAD454SS Sounds like a warped manifold, and the metal gasket is vibrating , look for a missing stud on your manifolds or ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bad Turbo, what do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD454SS View Post
    Sounds like a warped manifold, and the metal gasket is vibrating , look for a missing stud on your manifolds or black marks around manifolds. At your elevation you have a great potential for overspeeding the wheels. Some Gt turbos would help you out keeping wheel speeds lower.
    This is what I was worried about with the BCB tune. I can't even imagine how fast the turbos would be spinning with the WG at 100% DC.

And I agree, bigger turbos would give me some extra peak flow and a little more wiggle room. Even my stock tune was flowing 36.5 lb/min here so the turbos were being worked regardless of tune. Having and extra 12 lb/min would let me run a little more power but keep the turbos happy and safe. My rough math say a GT Turbo would flow around 50 lb/min here max.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    I wonder if you could run stock turbo power till your ready to get the HPFP.
    I think so I think at stock I would be completely fine fueling and boost wise since the ECU is good at managing that. But I would be mad my go go pedal has no go to it lol
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Bad Turbo, what do you think?

Mine does not seem to stop, not that I drove it that far but the engine was up to temperature acording to the gauge.
    Mine would do it only when I stepped on the gas when it was cold. Might not have been the turbo but it sounded exactly like yours when making the sound. Mine was coming from the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    Mine would do it only when I stepped on the gas when it was cold. Might not have been the turbo but it sounded exactly like yours when making the sound. Mine was coming from the passenger side.

A little update: I cold started it and had a audible ticking when it first started and smelled a little like untreated exhaust. It went away after a minute or so. I then powerbraked the truck in 4x4 and did not get the screeching. So I let it warm up for 20 minutes or so in the driveway and tried again and now it screeches. I kinda suspect maybe its the manifold and its just happening when its hot instead of cold.
    smoke33, Blown F-150 and Envious like this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times
    My $0.02

It does sound like a turbo is on it's way out. If it's a bearing, it's pretty easy to pop off the charge pipe and spin the turbine by hand. You'll know pretty quick if something is up.

It could also be a manifold as suggested above. Check for broken studs, usually it's the lone rear one that let's go.

As for GT's. I ran mine on a full bolt-on truck with the stock pump. I could really only run 91, so the power levels were not crazy. You can 100% run GT's on a stock HPFP, the tuner will need to taper in your boost accordingly.

This is at roughly 4500ft. WGDC maxed out around 80% by the looks of it. I holds 18psi no problem. Same pull, same hill with @Grim Reaper and his truck would net about 14-15psi.

Last edited by Blown F-150; 05-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Another update: I had my wife powerbrake it while I stood to the side. Def the passenger side. After a few attempts it became harder and harder to reproduce.

So I took it on a drive and did 4th gear pulls from 2500 rpm on up. After each pull it got quieter until the 3rd pull it was totally gone. If I gave it a minute rest it would come back and get progressively better as I drove aggresively again.

So I suspect its a manifold, which I am glad about because I can at least drive it without a catastrophic failure, but just means I am gunna have to spend a day or two turning wrenches.
    Blown F-150 and Envious like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    My $0.02

It does sound like a turbo is on it's way out. If it's a bearing, it's pretty easy to pop off the charge pipe and spin the turbine by hand. You'll know pretty quick if something is up.

It could also be a manifold as suggested above. Check for broken studs, usually it's the lone rear one that let's go.

As for GT's. I ran mine on a full bolt-on truck with the stock pump. I could really only run 91, so the power levels were not crazy. You can 100% run GT's on a stock HPFP, the tuner will need to taper in your boost accordingly.

This is at roughly 4500ft. WGDC maxed out around 80% by the looks of it. I holds 18psi no problem. Same pull, same hill with @Grim Reaper and his truck would net about 14-15psi.

I will check out the turbo once the truck cools off. I kinda suspect the turbo would get louder as it got hotter with thermal expansion and what not, which is the opposite of what is happening.

Member #
    Liked
    659 times
    The good news: you now have a reason to try out the new ported manifolds and upgrade to GT’s. Plus you’ll have that ‘new truck feel’ when complete

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times
    Another update: I had my wife powerbrake it while I stood to the side. Def the passenger side. After a few attempts it became harder and harder to reproduce.

So I took it on a drive and did 4th gear pulls from 2500 rpm on up. After each pull it got quieter until the 3rd pull it was totally gone. If I gave it a minute rest it would come back and get progressively better as I drove aggresively again.

So I suspect its a manifold, which I am glad about because I can at least drive it without a catastrophic failure, but just means I am gunna have to spend a day or two turning wrenches.
    Yeah, that sure sounds like a manifold

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2323 times
    When my driver's side manifold warped, it would make a sound like a "squealing fan belt", especially in the lower gears and giving it some throttle.
    FlyingMonkey likes this.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links