Bad Turbo, what do you think? - Page 3

Bad Turbo, what do you think?

This is a discussion on Bad Turbo, what do you think? within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Blown F-150 My $0.02 It does sound like a turbo is on it's way out. If it's a bearing, it's pretty easy ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bad Turbo, what do you think?

  1. #21
    Ecoboost Master Envious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,167
    Member #
    14405
    Liked
    426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    My $0.02

    It does sound like a turbo is on it's way out. If it's a bearing, it's pretty easy to pop off the charge pipe and spin the turbine by hand. You'll know pretty quick if something is up.

    It could also be a manifold as suggested above. Check for broken studs, usually it's the lone rear one that let's go.

    As for GT's. I ran mine on a full bolt-on truck with the stock pump. I could really only run 91, so the power levels were not crazy. You can 100% run GT's on a stock HPFP, the tuner will need to taper in your boost accordingly.

    This is at roughly 4500ft. WGDC maxed out around 80% by the looks of it. I holds 18psi no problem. Same pull, same hill with @Grim Reaper and his truck would net about 14-15psi.
    Was @Boostking tuning you?
    I may be looking into this in the future. Im at 5500" so I know the struggle as well.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

  2. #22
    Eco-Beast mass-hole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    3,108
    Member #
    8316
    Liked
    1099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    My $0.02

    It does sound like a turbo is on it's way out. If it's a bearing, it's pretty easy to pop off the charge pipe and spin the turbine by hand. You'll know pretty quick if something is up.

    It could also be a manifold as suggested above. Check for broken studs, usually it's the lone rear one that let's go.

    As for GT's. I ran mine on a full bolt-on truck with the stock pump. I could really only run 91, so the power levels were not crazy. You can 100% run GT's on a stock HPFP, the tuner will need to taper in your boost accordingly.

    This is at roughly 4500ft. WGDC maxed out around 80% by the looks of it. I holds 18psi no problem. Same pull, same hill with @Grim Reaper and his truck would net about 14-15psi.

    I believe 80% is where the PCM considers the WG closed. I don't know if that means it was actually closed since the exhaust pressure can push it open, but it looks like the tune was trying fairly hard to make boost.

    When mine does 100% at 4500 RPM it makes me a little concerned to say the least.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

  3. #23
    Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,904
    Member #
    15073
    Liked
    1060 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    I believe 80% is where the PCM considers the WG closed. I don't know if that means it was actually closed since the exhaust pressure can push it open, but it looks like the tune was trying fairly hard to make boost.

    When mine does 100% at 4500 RPM it makes me a little concerned to say the least.
    I honestly don’t know, but I’ve seen 100% WGDC with my current set up as we tried to find the limit of the 2019 “HO” turbos. I’m testing @4000ft here.

    Just as a comparison, WOT in 3rd with my GT’s @4500ish feet, WGDC was hovering around 80%. But that’s a perf tune, so not to sure how good info it is. This is also with Ported Manifolds.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,904
    Member #
    15073
    Liked
    1060 times

    Bad Turbo, what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Envious View Post
    Was @Boostking tuning you?
    I may be looking into this in the future. Im at 5500" so I know the struggle as well.
    Yes Sir, Brett dialled them right in for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Envious likes this.

  6. #25
    Eco-Beast mass-hole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    3,108
    Member #
    8316
    Liked
    1099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    I honestly don’t know, but I’ve seen 100% WGDC with my current set up as we tried to find the limit of the 2019 “HO” turbos. I’m testing @4000ft here.

    Just as a comparison, WOT in 3rd with my GT’s @4500ish feet, WGDC was hovering around 80%. But that’s a perf tune, so not to sure how good info it is. This is also with Ported Manifolds.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it was my truck and I saw 80% at higher RPM I would be fine with it. Thats probably the safe limit and Brett obviously knows whats up.

    What kind of airflow #'s were you seeing on the HO's?
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

  7. #26
    Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,904
    Member #
    15073
    Liked
    1060 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    If it was my truck and I saw 80% at higher RPM I would be fine with it. Thats probably the safe limit and Brett obviously knows whats up.

    What kind of airflow #'s were you seeing on the HO's?
    We are around 51-52#'s/Min @ 20-21psi and around 11-12* of timing. Everything seems to be really happy around this level, so I think it's what we'll stick with.

    Again, take this comparison with a grain of salt, because I have a completely different motor now. Last tune we did for the GT's (truck ONLY had GT's and the FR CAC installed on the Stock motor), we were @ 43#'s/Min @18psi and 7* of timing. That ended up being 387/542 on the Dyno. Dyno was at 3500ft (although the Dyno should compensate for the altitude).

    At sea level with the GT's, the truck was 50#/min @18psi and 8-9* of timing.
    Last edited by Blown F-150; 05-15-2019 at 10:19 AM.

  8. #27
    Ecoboost Veteran jibtechwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    edmonton, alberta
    Posts
    282
    Member #
    61321
    Liked
    69 times
    FWIW, sounds exactly like my 2012 did when it warped the P/S manifold.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  9. #28
    Eco-Beast mass-hole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    3,108
    Member #
    8316
    Liked
    1099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jibtechwarrior View Post
    FWIW, sounds exactly like my 2012 did when it warped the P/S manifold.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I've pretty much settled on this. Gunna pick up a set of CRP's. Waiting to see if there will be a Memorial day sales and drive my Jeep in the meantime. Diesel is cheaper than 88 octane here anyways.
    Envious likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

  10. #29
    Eco-Beast mass-hole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    3,108
    Member #
    8316
    Liked
    1099 times
    Order myself a set of CRP Manifolds and all the gaskets, bolts and studs i would need to do a swap. Hopefully its not too much of a pain.

    Big turbos are likely gunna happen down the road.
    Blown F-150 and Sirikenewtron like this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

  11. #30
    Eco-Beast mass-hole's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    3,108
    Member #
    8316
    Liked
    1099 times
    Whoever guessed broken rear stud, you win the prize:



    Also, **** the jiffy tite connectors.
    Envious and Blown F-150 like this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I got my Lower Bumper grill at VanderFab.com what do you think
    By BigStang in forum F150 Ecoboost Accessories
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 12:20 PM
  2. What do you think of this cheap Chinese F150?
    By TorqueNews in forum F150 Ecoboost News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 12:42 AM
  3. 2014 Toyota Tunda is announced, what do you think?
    By STdan in forum F150 Ecoboost Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM
  4. What do you think of the Worx 804 Tank Wheel?
    By STdan in forum F150 Ecoboost Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Connect with us: F150 Ecoboost Forum on Twitter F150 Ecoboost Forum on Facebook F150 Ecoboost Forum RSS Feed
Find us on Google+