Strange (to me) steering issue

This is a discussion on Strange (to me) steering issue within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; So Iíve been trying to figure out a strange issue that started yesterday and did my best to search the forum so I apologize if ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TCP2
  • 1 Post By chronicscribe

Thread: Strange (to me) steering issue

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

So Iíve been trying to figure out a strange issue that started yesterday and did my best to search the forum so I apologize if thereís a thread for it. When sitting still and turning my steering wheel, everything is fine until I get close to full turn and then the wheel suddenly gets really tough to turn, but itís fine as soon as I start driving and then works fine for one turn afterwards. This happens in both directions. Thereís no whine from the pump, no leaks, the power steering fluid is at the max line. The only things Iíve seen have been bad steering rack, but Iíve read that if thereís a problem with it some variety of warning light would be coming on. It has about 72k miles on it and is a 2011 3.5 4x4. I have oversized tires and a level on it and I know that can cause issues but as I said it just started. I didnít know if maybe a steering fluid flush would help as Iím not positive if/when it was done last because I bought it at around 49k. Just thought Iíd ask greater minds than mine before I ended up doing/replacing something I didnít need to. I donít have any issues with the turning until Iím close to full lock, and I made sure the tires arenít catching on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Not sure what you're looking at, but the 2011 eco has electric steering and no fluids at all. I would suspect an issue with the entire EPAS rack or with the u-joints in the half shaft between the steering wheel at the rack.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/its-...steering-8799/

It's Electric: 2011 Ford F-150 Adopts Electric Power Steering. ... Specialty models equipped with the 6.2-liter V-8, including the 2011 SVT Raptor and the 2011 Harley-Davidson F-150, will continue to utilize hydraulic power steering, as will Ford's heavy-duty Super Duty pickup line.
    Mikedick77 likes this.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCP2 View Post
    Not sure what you're looking at, but the 2011 eco has electric steering and no fluids at all. I would suspect an issue with the entire EPAS rack or with the u-joints in the half shaft between the steering wheel at the rack.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/its-...steering-8799/
    Itís entirely possible I was looking at something else and just assuming it was power steering fluid, without actually confirming. I was probably looking at brake fluid, I guess thatís what I would get for assuming. Iím assuming the EPAS rack would be the most expensive starting point, so maybe Iíll start with the u-joints and hope that fixes everything. Thanks for the response!

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

In case anyone comes across this thread in their google searches or forum searches trying to find a solution I watched this video and he explains exactly whatís happening with my steering. Iím going to get mine changed out and Iíll post a follow up as well. Thanks to TCP2 for your response. $75 is a whole lot better on my stomach than $550.

Edit: Grammar is hard

Last edited by chronicscribe; 06-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    snakebitten likes this.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3217 times
    Nice find.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Yup. U-joints have been a relatively common issue as the half shaft ages since around 2003.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

Sponsored Links