4x4 Not Showing Up in Message Center

This is a discussion on 4x4 Not Showing Up in Message Center within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Hello All, Brand new to the EB community and this forum! We just purchased a new to us 2011 EB XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Off Road ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 4x4 Not Showing Up in Message Center

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hello All,

Brand new to the EB community and this forum! We just purchased a new to us 2011 EB XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Off Road with 1:3.73 locker rear end at the end of April. It pulls our 31' Airstream very nicely!

Currently working on the small things that needed attention (lube driveshaft, leaky brake light, etc.) but this one has me stumped. Hoping someone here can help. When I shift into 4x4, I can hear the solenoid engange and I can confirm that it is actually throwing the transfer case into gear by driving and also jacking up the front and checking front wheel spin. Oddly, the little LCD screen between the gages (message center?) does not show that it is in 4x4 mode, or 4 low, or anything. One of our local Ford dealers simply stated that perhaps it was not an option for the XLT. I'm not buying it.

Does anybody else have this problem and if so, pointers on where to start?

Thanks! John

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3311 times
    I'm not sure on the 4x4 problem that you are having, but which brake light is leaking?
    Joseph322 likes this.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Member #
    Liked
    1143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post
    I'm not sure on the 4x4 problem that you are having, but which brake light is leaking?
    Just make sure you don't refill it with blinker fluid. The seals are not compatible.
    milesej05 and Joseph322 like this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1143 times
    OP, I don't have much on the 4x4 light issue, but I know on my Jeep there is a linear potentiometer that is depressed a certain distance based on what position the T-case is in. As the voltage changes, the BCM will detect the change and will turn on/off the lights on the dash. If this potentiometer gets out of whack, the incorrect light can be on, or none at all, even if the t-case is actually engaged in 4x4.

I would imagine that they would have some kind of positive engagement sensor like that, so it doesn't say its in 4x4 when its not.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 06-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    I have an 2013 XLT and it has a 4x4 indicator.
    I had a highway patrol physically look at the dash to let me through a chain up area without chains. Guess he didn’t believe it was a 4x4.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The third brake light on the cab.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    OP, I don't have much on the 4x4 light issue, but I know on my Jeep there is a linear potentiometer that is depressed a certain distance based on what position the T-case is in. As the voltage changes, the BCM will detect the change and will turn on/off the lights on the dash. If this potentiometer gets out of whack, the incorrect light can be on, or none at all, even if the t-case is actually engaged in 4x4.

I would imagine that they would have some kind of positive engagement sensor like that, so it doesn't say its in 4x4 when its not.
    I've looked under that thing ad nauseam and scoured the Haynes manual and internet for clues to some sort of switch or something like that. There is an eBay listing for some sort of switch, but no idea where it may go on this thing! I agree that it does not appear something is getting some sort of signal. And yes, I do realize that this is a bit OCD. Oh well.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post

So new thought: Does anybody have a lead on a good and thorough electrical schematic for the 4x4 system? I have a hunch there is some sort of wiring issue on the connector of the motor, if it was replaced by the previous owner. The Haynes manual is disturbingly lean on the electrical stuffs!

Member #
    Liked
    444 times
    Did you check fuses?
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Boy View Post
    The third brake light on the cab.

This has been a known issue with the cab corners rusting. Make sure all the moisture is out of the whole cab corner and rear roof area before reinstalling and sealing your light.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links