JLT catch can installed about 8K miles ago, install pics & 8K mile results

This is a discussion on JLT catch can installed about 8K miles ago, install pics & 8K mile results within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; So I'm a crappy member and didn't do a full write up on my mod installation like some of you rockstars but this install was ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: JLT catch can installed about 8K miles ago, install pics & 8K mile results

Member #
    Liked
    40 times

So I'm a crappy member and didn't do a full write up on my mod installation like some of you rockstars but this install was VERY easy with the supplied instructions if you have even moderate mechanical ability.

First get all your parts and find a good spot for your beverage of choice so it doesn't get knocked over but is still readily available. Obviously someone at Ford is a beer drinker.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  3.35 MB

Follow the instructions to remove the plastic cover and install the catch can on the firewall. Everything is cut to fit, the right lengths and OEM style connections.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  3.58 MBName:  4.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  3.93 MBName:  3.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  3.48 MBName:  8.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  2.94 MB

Removing the harness and this mounting point was about the most difficult thing about the whole thing, you can see in the 2nd picture why the harness has to move.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  2.27 MBName:  6.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  2.11 MB

and results ... I put this in this past end of summer/fall timeframe and have put ~ 8K miles on the truck.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  2.85 MBName:  12.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  2.92 MB

Of note ... I think I'll check it every 4k miles at least in the future. I'm not totally happy with the fact that the exit side "screen" area was coated with copious amounts of oil meaning there's still been oil getting by. Also, there was a heavy fuel smell in this oil that was in the can which is to be expected but zero milkyness that others have seen. next time should be around 22K miles on the truck so we'll see of the exit side stays saturated with oil or if that will be frequent enough to catch all the oil and do what it was designed to do.

Other thoughts, I wish this had a bigger reservoir and better way of keeping the oil in it separate from the exit side of the can. in the end I'll just have to be more attentive to this particular model I bought, I believe this was version 3.0 for the JLT.
    Last edited by JoeKool315; 03-26-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Elmore328 likes this.

2017 SCREW 3.5L XLT FX4 3.31 Locker w/302pkg Ruby Red/Magnetic Metallic
    Roush intake, tune, exhaust, floormats
    Carhartt F&R seat covers
    JLT pass. side catch can
    Tailgate "easy down" strut

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3148 times
    Yes, you are a horribly crappy member...but have totally redeemed yourself with this very informative tutorial. Well done!

And please note the invisible sarcasm font that I applied to the part about being a "crappy member". LOL
    JoeKool315 likes this.
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Nice rtic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JoeKool315 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKool315 View Post

Of note ... I think I'll check it every 4k miles at least in the future. I'm not totally happy with the fact that the exit side "screen" area was coated with copious amounts of oil meaning there's still been oil getting by.
    Without a check valve between the can and the intake manifold, whenever you're under boost, you're pressurizing the can and filling the dirty side line of the can, meaning when you get back into vacuum, there's more oil going through the filtered area at all times.
    In my opinion, you're almost there.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Without a check valve between the can and the intake manifold, whenever you're under boost, you're pressurizing the can and filling the dirty side line of the can, meaning when you get back into vacuum, there's more oil going through the filtered area at all times.
    check valve on the exit side line correct? what valve did you use? I'm in boost quite often

Carhartt F&R seat covers
    JLT pass. side catch can

Member #
    Liked
    1741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKool315 View Post
    check valve on the exit side line correct? what valve did you use? I'm in boost quite often
    The heavy duty check valve from UPR seems to do the trick. Goes on the line from can to intake manifold, flow towards intake.
    Although the valve comes with arrow for direction of flow, it's a good idea to double check by blowing into it before installation (in case it was assembled backwards).
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I agree with pressurizing the can in boost, but are you really getting any flow? Not sure how much pressurized air would move oil if it isn't flowing due to the PCV being closed when in boost. I am not sure though.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    True. All of this would be moot if the can were deeper or had some sort of makeshift separator or something to keep the oil from shifting around and being blown about by the PVC or pressurized air from the manifold. OR ... if I emptied it out more frequently

Carhartt F&R seat covers
    JLT pass. side catch can

Member #
    Liked
    1741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    I agree with pressurizing the can in boost, but are you really getting any flow? Not sure how much pressurized air would move oil if it isn't flowing due to the PCV being closed when in boost. I am not sure though.
    The PCV valve should stop anything going back into the crankcase, but the pressure in the can will push it all to the PCV valve, including some oil.
    BobRoss likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I have one of these also. I was quite surprised at how much it collects and have been emptying it every 700 miles or so which typically has it about 75% full. In hindsight, if I had it to do over again I'd go with something bigger and more robust. Maybe even a dual side setup complete with check valves like UPR. But hey, my anniversary is just around the corner and mama has been asking what I want for a present this year.
    2013 XLT 4x4
    3.5EB
    Max Tow

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links