F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Don't count out Mishimoto either. I run one on my 17 3.5 over here in AZ. Yesterday was almost 100° .....my IAT1 was around 110° my post CAC was 109°ish and IAT2 stayed in the very low 120° range, this was normal cruising and an occasional romp to pass people. Fit and finish is top notch and it has an EXACT OEM fit. Took about an hour to install by myself and yes, I have my active grill shutterts pulled out in that area [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Did you go for the whole mishi kit (piping), or just the intercooler itself?

Don't count out Mishimoto either. I run one on my 17 3.5 over here in AZ. Yesterday was almost 100° .....my IAT1 was around 110° my post CAC was 109°ish and IAT2 stayed in the very low 120° range, this was normal cruising and an occasional romp to pass people. Fit and finish is top notch and it has an EXACT OEM fit. Took about an hour to install by myself and yes, I have my active grill shutterts pulled out in that area [emoji6]

Do you know if your active grill shutters would still fit fine and work if you left them installed?

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Do you know if your active grill shutters would still fit fine and work if you left them installed?
My buddy just installed his Mishimoto on his 17 3.5 a week ago and he didn't touch the grill shutters, still work like before the intercooler swap

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did some searching here first but couldn't find anything really.

Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the Injen intercooler.

Anyone running the Injen intercooler and if so what kind of ait2 number/temp drops are you seeing?

These 2nd gen 3.5 EcoBoost run rediculously hot
This pic is after about 25 minutes of driving and just a couple WOT's in 68 deg weather.

142 Degrees just cruising around like a normal person? Is that from the active shutters?

I had a friend who bought a 2016 2.7 and said it could barely hold speed towing his 7500 lb GVWR trailer. He then went and traded it in on a 2018 3.5EB and said he still has trouble. It would slow down to 55mph on climbs. I have no idea wtf he is doing, but my first comment to him was maybe its overheating and he said no. Then I told him the intake temps are probably ridiculously high.

My truck has never had that issue. It def gets hot and you can feel it cutting power, but it was never enough to slow me down.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
142 Degrees just cruising around like a normal person? Is that from the active shutters?

I had a friend who bought a 2016 2.7 and said it could barely hold speed towing his 7500 lb GVWR trailer. He then went and traded it in on a 2018 3.5EB and said he still has trouble. It would slow down to 55mph on climbs. I have no idea wtf he is doing, but my first comment to him was maybe its overheating and he said no. Then I told him the intake temps are probably ridiculously high.

My truck has never had that issue. It def gets hot and you can feel it cutting power, but it was never enough to slow me down.
Yeah 142 after coming to a stop, it'll drop a good 10-20 degrees once I get going again as long as it's not totally heat soaked.
That's crazy about your friend, my 2.7 was the coolest running truck I've had, my 13 wasn't as bad as this 19, these gen 2 3.5's run rediculously hot.

What time of year was it? The only time I've had that kind of weight behind mine in the mountains was in December, but there was no trouble at all. That was with an Unleashed tow tune. I've had 7000 behind it in summer temps but that was flat land. Also good tho.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Yeah 142 after coming to a stop, it'll drop a good 10-20 degrees once I get going again as long as it's not totally heat soaked.
That's crazy about your friend, my 2.7 was the coolest running truck I've had, my 13 wasn't as bad as this 19, these gen 2 3.5's run rediculously hot.

In the middle of summer my IAT2's are right in that neighborhood while sitting in rush hour as well. The coolant temp bounces around between low 200's and 217 or so as well.
These buggers run on the hot side for sure.

I can't believe you guys are seeing IAT1 temps that close to ambient. My IAT1 temp is usually 20-30 degrees hotter than ambient while driving fast or slow, uphill or down. My 16 would almost always be within 5-10 degrees under those same conditions. The grill shutters tend to keep the CAC temp either at or about 5 degrees warmer than IAT1 (I assume to limit condensation). I can't figure out why the IAT1 temps are so high all the time, even in winter.

My next upgrade will be an intercooler. I have an 18 2.7 tuned 93 from Torrie at Unleashed installed a 170 T stat my temps never get over 180 in this heat
Sent you a PM on the intercooler.

I can't believe you guys are seeing IAT1 temps that close to ambient. My IAT1 temp is usually 20-30 degrees hotter than ambient while driving fast or slow, uphill or down. My 16 would almost always be within 5-10 degrees under those same conditions. The grill shutters tend to keep the CAC temp either at or about 5 degrees warmer than IAT1 (I assume to limit condensation). I can't figure out why the IAT1 temps are so high all the time, even in winter.
They were talking IAT2.

On mine, my IAT2 (this summer, which is the first time I've tracked it) gets up to about 140-142 just driving normally in the city. Ambient temps here are between 90-105. As I get moving more it'll drop into the 130s, but it'll bounce off the low 140s a good bit. My coolant temp stays between 200-217, usually hanging around 205-215.

This is what I was referring to. With temps at 100, my IAT1 would be 125+ while driving. CAC would be about 5 above that if the shutters are plugged in and IAT2 would be 140+ at least. If I unplug the shutters and leave them open, my CAC temp can drop 5-10 degrees below IAT1.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.