F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is what I was referring to. With temps at 100, my IAT1 would be 125+ while driving. CAC would be about 5 above that if the shutters are plugged in and IAT2 would be 140+ at least. If I unplug the shutters and leave them open, my CAC temp can drop 5-10 degrees below IAT1.
Gotcha. I haven't tracked IAT1 yet. I'll take a look and compare it to Coolant Temp and IAT2.

Not the Injen, but I've got the CVFab intercooler. I've got a video about it on YouTube if you're interested.

I saw some decent temp drops, although my data wasn't apples to apples because of ambient temps, it was a clear improvement.

They have a graph of someone else's results on their website. Idk how the Injen is, but this one seems pretty good.

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/t...ercooler-2015-f-150-raptor-2-7l-3-5l-ecoboost

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not the Injen, but I've got the CVFab intercooler. I've got a video about it on YouTube if you're interested.

I saw some decent temp drops, although my data wasn't apples to apples because of ambient temps, it was a clear improvement.

They have a graph of someone else's results on their website. Idk how the Injen is, but this one seems pretty good.

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/t...ercooler-2015-f-150-raptor-2-7l-3-5l-ecoboost

Still happy with it after a good amount of time has passed now? Happy with it in daily driving conditions after what would normally heat soak the stock unit? Did it translate into a consistent performance improvement?

Thanks for making the vid!

Still happy with it after a good amount of time has passed now? Happy with it in daily driving conditions after what would normally heat soak the stock unit? Did it translate into a consistent performance improvement?

Thanks for making the vid!
Yes very much so. In my testing it took a lot more to heat soak the CVF one. The OEM one heatsoaks almost immediately it seems. It's very hot and humid here right now so I'm appreciative of the extra cooling capacity.

Like I said, my before and after numbers aren't a great data set, but just driving and looking at the numbers there's an obvious benefit.

I will say, I haven't towed much since then, so I am still excited to do that. When I tow I usually tow in the desert and at high elevation.

Does anyone know when the active grill shutters open and close on the 2018 F-150s? It's marketed as they close when moving at high speeds to help with aerodynamics, but does anyone know at what speed they actually close, and whether it's truly dependent only on speed?

I know they close upon startup to help bring the engine to operating temperature faster, so I'm not talking about that... just when traveling. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the active grill shutters open and close on the 2018 F-150s? It's marketed as they close when moving at high speeds to help with aerodynamics, but does anyone know at what speed they actually close, and whether it's truly dependent only on speed?

I know they close upon startup to help bring the engine to operating temperature faster, so I'm not talking about that... just when traveling. Thanks!

I don't know the logic about when they close and don't, but they do seem to be optimized to keep the CAC temp at least a few degrees warmer than IAT1 temps, probably to limit condensation. If you have the ForScan app on your phone and the OBDII adapter, you can monitor it with that and see when they open and close.

On a side note, I removed the engine cover and unplugged my CAC shutters and have been happy with the results. The overall IAT2 temps have been quite a bit lower on the open road, but not so much in town, but that makes sense.

My shutters have been unplugged for close to 2 years and haven't seen a CEL. I think it may throw a code (can be seen in Forscan) saying they're not working but it is not a CEL.

My shutters have been unplugged for close to 2 years and haven't seen a CEL. I think it may throw a code (can be seen in Forscan) saying they're not working but it is not a CEL.
Same here. About 1½ years

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Groeder, did you get the dreaded CEL? I removed my shutter's, left them plugged in. Couldn't be happier with this truck. Installed a 170 tstat and a 93 tune
Hi Outback,

I basically had the same result as everyone else. No CEL, but if I scan for codes, it will show up. If you unplug the radiator shutters, it WILL throw a CEL from what I've read.

I've also has my radiator shutters unplugged as long as the lower and no CEL. Not sure why it would throw a CEL, it isn't something monitored that will make the truck run rough/lean/rich or keep it from passing an emissions inspection.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.