F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Did some searching here first but couldn't find anything really.

Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the Injen intercooler.

Anyone running the Injen intercooler and if so what kind of ait2 number/temp drops are you seeing?

These 2nd gen 3.5 EcoBoost run rediculously hot
This pic is after about 25 minutes of driving and just a couple WOT's in 68 deg weather.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Imagine how hot the air is coming out of the turbahs.

My Mazdaspeed temps at the end of a 4th gear pull are upwards of 170...and I hate it. (28psi and a mediocre topmount intercooler)
Yeah these 2nd gens are nuts for heat, my 2017 2.7 was nothing even close to these temps even after doing multiple WOT's back to back, **** even my old 2013 3.5 wasn't like this.

This sucker heat soaks literally in minutes, can't even imagine what it's going to be like in summer when it's 105 deg out, especially Towing the travel trailer through the west coast mountains

With the stock tune, there should be no harm. There are tables that will reduce ignition timing as air temps increase as well as injecting more fuel to help cool the cylinders. All to reduce the likeliness of knock.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
With the stock tune, there should be no harm. There are tables that will reduce ignition timing as air temps increase as well as injecting more fuel to help cool the cylinders. All to reduce the likeliness of knock.
Definitely, I'm not worried about harm I'm wanting to reduce heat soak and the significant power reduction from it.

Even custom Tunes, as long as you have a good tuner, will have the PCM reduce everything the same as stock tune to avoid issues when heat soak sets in.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Not a whole lot of real-world reviews on the interweb for our trucks and the Injen at least

I haven't seen a lot about the Injen, but in general it has always seemed like they make decent stuff.

You definitely can't go wrong with a FR, a Wagner, or a Garrett. The Levels is nice too but no telling how long it will take to ship.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Not a whole lot of real-world reviews on the interweb for our trucks and the Injen at least

Don't count out Mishimoto either. I run one on my 17 3.5 over here in AZ. Yesterday was almost 100° .....my IAT1 was around 110° my post CAC was 109°ish and IAT2 stayed in the very low 120° range, this was normal cruising and an occasional romp to pass people. Fit and finish is top notch and it has an EXACT OEM fit. Took about an hour to install by myself and yes, I have my active grill shutterts pulled out in that area [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Don't count out Mishimoto either. I run one on my 17 3.5 over here in AZ. Yesterday was almost 100° .....my IAT1 was around 110° my post CAC was 109°ish and IAT2 stayed in the very low 120° range, this was normal cruising and an occasional romp to pass people. Fit and finish is top notch and it has an EXACT OEM fit. Took about an hour to install by myself and yes, I have my active grill shutterts pulled out in that area [emoji6]

Nice. That is also one I am considering, I can get a hell of a deal for the Injen to my door though.
Do you have a rough idea or any data on what the temp difference is with it and before you had it by chance?

The main reason I would get the Mishimoto over the Injen would be because you can get it in black, I prefer black instead of shiny aluminum.
I'm not a fan at all how they all put their name on the front of it, most companies that is.

Reactions: GearHead_1
Nice. That is also one I am considering, I can get a hell of a deal for the Injen to my door though.
Do you have a rough idea or any data on what the temp difference is with it and before you had it by chance?

The main reason I would get the Mishimoto over the Injen would be because you can get it in black, I prefer black instead of shiny aluminum.
I'm not a fan at all how they all put their name on the front of it, most companies that is.

The Wagner is all black with no words [emoji4].

I think it is one of the most expensive new though.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

I never logged anything but I do monitor with torque pro, I noticed anywhere from a 10-20° drop but the biggest thing is how fast it sheds the heat and gets temps back down.

I think the manifolds warp because they tried to save a buck and omitted a bolt that really didn't need to be.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
You know on my 2012 I noticed that the head is actually milled down on that piece that extends towards the rearmost bolt. It doesn't sit flush against the manifold like around the other ports. It's almost as though they milled this gap in there to reduce the amount of heat generated on that port because of the missing bolt. I didn't expect to see a gap there with the manifold attached.

That's the biggest opportunity for sure, I think. There's quite a few price points but not too much consistent data across the board on intercoolers. We're trying to change that by putting real, indisputable data out there, and as I said before we're more than open to feedback from customers.

For instance, we had a gentleman ask for black and no writing on the intercooler, and while we don't produce it now (only silver) it will be in the next batch we produce. If you guys have something you like or want to see, feel free to reach out and let us know. :)

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/t...ercooler-2015-f-150-raptor-2-7l-3-5l-ecoboost

...For instance, we had a gentleman ask for black and no writing on the intercooler, and while we don't produce it now (only silver) it will be in the next batch we produce. If you guys have something you like or want to see, feel free to reach out and let us know. :)
Don’t forget HE asked for a drain valve too. ;) ;) ;)

Discussion starter · #19 ·
That's the biggest opportunity for sure, I think. There's quite a few price points but not too much consistent data across the board on intercoolers. We're trying to change that by putting real, indisputable data out there, and as I said before we're more than open to feedback from customers.

For instance, we had a gentleman ask for black and no writing on the intercooler,

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/t...ercooler-2015-f-150-raptor-2-7l-3-5l-ecoboost
That would have been me. ha

Reactions: CVF-Jason
I'd probably be interested in black as well. :cool:

Reactions: CVF-Jason
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.