4H in the 1/4 mile?

4H in the 1/4 mile?

This is a discussion on 4H in the 1/4 mile? within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; So I've been gathering info on turning up my 2018 3.5. I have been racing Mustangs since 1997, and one thing I ALWAYS do is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 4H in the 1/4 mile?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

4H in the 1/4 mile?

So I've been gathering info on turning up my 2018 3.5. I have been racing Mustangs since 1997, and one thing I ALWAYS do is run it down the 1/4 before and after ANY mods. To me there is no thicker pudding than the 1/4 mile. I'm planning to go run my truck to get a baseline and I have some questions.

I've seen many videos of people launching the truck in 4H.

Are they shifting back to 2H mid run? Or are they doing nearly 100 MPH in 4 wheel drive.

I ask because older trucks had a max speed of around 50 MPH in 4 wheel drive.

I don't want to break my truck...

Thanks!

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3061 times
    Don't take this wrong but boost-launching and "I don't want to break my truck" are a funny combination.

I love flogging my "tuned 3.5EB". The truck is a riot!

But I'm probably less a "measurer", so it's just my own private driving pleasure I care about.

Or put another way, I try to be kind to the drivetrain. Smoooooooth if you get the gist.

Instead of ZERO to 60, I'm a 10-70 fella.

However, I don't fault the folks that measure. (timed runs/quarter mile) But breaking stuff must be a risk that's accepted? Right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    VegasFX4 likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Don't take this wrong but boost-launching and "I don't want to break my truck" are a funny combination.

I love flogging my "tuned 3.5EB". The truck is a riot!

But I'm probably less a "measurer", so it's just my own private driving pleasure I care about.

Or put another way, I try to be kind to the drivetrain. Smoooooooth if you get the gist.

Instead of ZERO to 60, I'm a 10-70 fella.

However, I don't fault the folks that measure. (timed runs/quarter mile) But breaking stuff must be a risk that's accepted? Right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have thousands of 1/4 runs under my belt.

I meant will keeping it in 4H to 100 hurt it. Simple.

Now if I break it another way then I will have to fix it....

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Most people shift it back to 2h after launch from what I’ve seen/heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magyar86 View Post
    Most people shift it back to 2h after launch from what I’ve seen/heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm getting at. I've watched the videos of people running them but I haven't seen anyone shift it back. So you can shift from 4H to 2H with it mashed?

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3289 times
    If your truck is under that much load, it will not shift back into 2 wheel drive and if it so happens to... you will most likely damage something else.

FWIW
    noodles and VegasFX4 like this.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post
    If your truck is under that much load, it will not shift back into 2 wheel drive and if it so happens to... you will most likely damage something else.

FWIW
    Very logical. I'm curious after watching all the 1/4 mile videos of 1/4 runs where they say "launched in 4H". I doubt I would even try it in 2H. I cant get traction on the street let alone the strip,

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3289 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasFX4 View Post
    Very logical. I'm curious after watching all the 1/4 mile videos of 1/4 runs where they say "launched in 4H". I doubt I would even try it in 2H. I cant get traction on the street let alone the strip,
    Once these trucks hit boost, you will lose your rear end 90% of the time. After multiple launches, I learned that you need to brake boost to about 1400 rpm then let the brake off and SLOWLY push the gas pedal down. Helps with the rear tires ending up in smoke.
    VegasFX4 likes this.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've thoroughly beat on my truck in the last couple years I've owned it. It is a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost (not a raptor rofl), I bought it with 20k miles New Years Eve 2016. The truck now has 125k+ miles, and I'm extremely hard on my truck 80% of the time I drive it.

I've launched it in 4H on the stall probably over 40 times. I've tried shifting back into 2WD during the run, the truck according to the lights does it, though I've never noticed a difference in time slips (I have taken the truck to the drag strip, you can find my post here with more details). My truck is pretty much 100% stock at the moment, and I'll finish the 1/4 around 93-97MPH.

That was a lot of background, BUT, the reason I say all of that is to explain the things I've broken over the years:

I broke the throttle body (the plate & shaft had all kinds of play and would hit the wall), though the new one was a different design slightly, so it may have been a Ford thing. Or, it could have been me being hard on it and not having an aftermarket high-quality BOV, not too sure.

My passenger side end tank in the intercooler got a crack in it. This was likely due to me hitting some trees while driving 70+ (slowing down to about 40 before impact) off-road. The only things damaged were the intercooler & a small dent in the hood.

The drivers side turbo got a tiny bit of shaft play in it, likely from the boost leak in the IC, which was there for about 6 months before I replaced the intercooler.

Both rear lower exhaust manifold bolts are broken. May be a result of the tree experience (though not an immediate result), or a result of me racing the truck up mountain passes and overheating the exhaust. Couldn't tell you exactly, also not 100% sure exactly when they broke.

I squished the upper rubber bushing in the transmission crossmember mount out. Likely a result of 40+ 4H launches.

I had to replace my drivers side IWE ring & the IWE check valve. The check valve went bad and I ignored it for a few months. By the time I figured out it was the check valve and replaced it (all of $4 :/) the IWE ring was smoked. So, the check valve is cause it's a ****ty valve, the ring is my own negligence.

That is literally everything I've broken & had to replace. I've done nothing special to the truck, and not even done awesome maintenance. I replace the oil every 10k miles, I've replaced the air filter once. I've never done spark plugs, nor have I ever replaced the trans oil or diff fluids (though it definitely needs to be done now). I've drifted my truck, run it hard off-road, taken to the drag strip, driven it at 105 (top speed) for 30+ consecutive minutes, raced it up mountain passes, etc. The odds of you ever being harder overall on your truck than I am is extremely unlikely. The only thing I've never really done is jumped it. It happens occasionally when I'm off-roading, but never huge air or anything like that. Though I've definitely bottomed out the suspension.

Overall, the trucks are amazingly reliable/sturdy. I've spent less than $1,000 fixing stuff over 100,000+ miles with me driving it as described. I've also towed with it, and driven it across the country. Yours is a little newer and I don't know the differences, but my 2016 with the 6spd transmission is truly amazing.

And since you're interested in drag racing, the biggest issue I have with it is that it isn't consistent. There can be a 1.5 second difference between two 1/4 mile runs in the same night. I suspect this is due to the plastic endtanks heat soaking, but I'm not totally sure. I'm getting ready to start upgrading the truck and if I figure out how to make it more consistent I'll report back haha. On a good run it's fast though, best time is 14.1 at a super high elevation. Also, I don't even have a tuner, so this is all stock tune stuff. With a tuner I bet you could get more consistency as well.
    Last edited by Ryuske; 05-15-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer fixes
    Envious and VegasFX4 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1785 times
    What I've learned so far tuned is....lol; if you do not launch in 4H, you WILL be replacing your rear tires quite often?
    I mean seriously thank you 5* for ruining my Wranglers + Kumos & Yokohamas-lol
    And, umm I know I'm not attempting to switch to 2wd while the petal is planted to the floor while in 4H.....but that's me.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    BigPhatPaulie and VegasFX4 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links