2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine - Page 3

2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine

This is a discussion on 2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; Originally Posted by Nicklaus Right ! Well, it is consistent with the theory supported by some that the noise comes from a VCT solenoid cleaning ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
    Right ! Well, it is consistent with the theory supported by some that the noise comes from a VCT solenoid cleaning process triggered when signal-to-cam position tells to do so, hence oil cleanliness plays a significant role.

Oil change could improve (cleaner, better flow at given temperature) or worsen (slightly higher viscosity slows cam response).

Anyway, I’ll report back here about this improvement if it holds or not.
    While I don't understand the deep science behind it all, after YEARS of saturation on the subject by a MILLION posts, I am convinced the ONLY thing I can actually do in attempt to avoid the issue is throw fresh oil and startup pressure at it.

So I do and will.

On cold starts I often choose to not remote start. Instead I do the delay-start procedure.

(I don't complain about the effort because I clearly recall the various vehicles of my youth that required "starting tricks". Like manual chokes pulled out just the right amount based on the weather, or two throttle pumps before the ignition sequence, or.....)

And the other thing is the indefensible short oil change intervals. I won't waste my time justifying it, but I'm going old-school regardless. At 3000 miles I note it. Then I have about a 1000 miles to find a convenient circumstance for a blood transfusion. I don't panic if I hit 4000 miles of course, but I let it start gnawing at me.

Looking forward to hearing you not hearing this noise again all the way through this oil change interval.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    While I don't understand the deep science behind it all, after YEARS of saturation on the subject by a MILLION posts, I am convinced the ONLY thing I can actually do in attempt to avoid the issue is throw fresh oil and startup pressure at it.

So I do and will.

On cold starts I often choose to not remote start. Instead I do the delay-start procedure.

(I don't complain about the effort because I clearly recall the various vehicles of my youth that required "starting tricks". Like manual chokes pulled out just the right amount based on the weather, or two throttle pumps before the ignition sequence, or.....)

And the other thing is the indefensible short oil change intervals. I won't waste my time justifying it, but I'm going old-school regardless. At 3000 miles I note it. Then I have about a 1000 miles to find a convenient circumstance for a blood transfusion. I don't panic if I hit 4000 miles of course, but I let it start gnawing at me.

Looking forward to hearing you not hearing this noise again all the way through this oil change interval.

The startup procedure being holding the pedal down for the first few seconds of cranking?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    The startup procedure being holding the pedal down for the first few seconds of cranking?

Yes sir.

I'm not claiming to do it on every single cold start, but I avoid remote start if I'm home and it has sat for 2+ days. (which is actually fairly often because I rag on the Mazdarati when I'm not traveling or carrying cargo/people)

Honestly, even though I might appear to be a very lucky Ecoboost guy, and/or someone who wouldn't FREAK OUT if I discovered the cold-start clack on a truck of mine, don't be mistaken......... I don't want it! And I will do whatever I perceive as a method to ward that vudu off!

But I'm willing to admit that I don't really have a ton of confidence that I can ultimately guarantee anything.

I could just be the baseball player that won't change socks because the pair I was wearing are the same ones I was wearing when I hit my way out of a slump.

Mikedick77 and Sirikenewtron like this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    I'm on the bandwagon of changing out the oil on the regular. I started getting the startup chatter on mine, and found it to be much worse when the oil has thinned out. Winter time being the worst with gas saturation. I'm also brand specific, and am keeping an open mind to thicker viscosity and all that.

All in all, I like what Snake is saying.
    2013 Eco XTR 4x4 Super Crew 5.5 bed 3:31 Rear
    Stock, Weep hole, 160 degree T-Stat, Autolite Iridium XP5863 gapped properly, Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and 93 octane
    NO OIL LEAKS!!

Purrs like a kitten! It's called maintenence. This shouldn't surprise people.

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post

I could just be the baseball player that won't change socks because the pair I was wearing are the same ones I was wearing when I hit my way out of a slump.

Lol I could be the same way

Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
    Here is a post I just did on an other forum, just want to share here too:

Okay forum, I was wondering if an oil change would change anything with that noise. Some of you mentioned the decel rattle noise appeared following the first oil change.

My truck did the noise in drive with factory fill oil and just decided to do an oil change and filter...just to learn something.

before oil change: cold engine, parked in the garage, no rattle In neutral, rattle in Drive (while holding the brake pedal). I even made a video for my dealer.

after oil change: cold engine, parked in the garage, no rattle in Neutral, NO RATTLE IN DRIVE. I tried again and again...no more noise!

How can it be? Ok, beer time, IĀ’ll report back next time I take my truck with a cold engine, too good to be true.
    Well, the rattle was there this morning. I don’t think that I would have hear it with windows up, but it was there.

I was hopeful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links