2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine

2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine

This is a discussion on 2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; Hey Forum, I know there are other threads about this topic, but there was several versions et various informations. I’ll try recap everything: - Initialy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle noise with cold engine

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hey Forum, I know there are other threads about this topic, but there was several versions et various informations. I’ll try recap everything:

- Initialy reported to 5.0 engines only, it happened when tipping off the throttle in Neutral or Park at very low RPM
    - Then there was a TSB 18-2354 in November 2018 related to 5.0 engines only. A new software available.
    - Several folks had the new software installed as per the TSB. They noticed the rattle noise does not occur anymore in Neutral or Park, but in Drive instead.
    - As soon as the engine temperature rises a bit, no more noise.
    - Few folks reported the same noise on 3.5 EB as well, despite there is no TSB for the EB.
    - My 2019 3.5EB has the rattle noise with cold engine as soon as Release the throttle with a cold engine. I assume I have the latest software installed, because no noise at all in Neutral or Park.
    - Many of us complaint to dealers, parts has been replaced (phasers, VCT solenoid, etc) with no improvement.
    - Few reported the noise is a programmed behavior: a patented algorithm commanding the VCT solenoid on and off quickly in order to clean the solenoid strainer.

So this is it ! What do we do now? Does anyone
    have more information to share? Can anyone can confirm about the programmed solenoid cleaning process, then we could stop bringing our trucks in shop for weeks and replacing parts for nothing...

Thank you !
    Last edited by Nicklaus; 05-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3045 times
    Do you mean while driving a "cold motor"?

How cold? Before the warm up fast idle programming finishes and the idle comes down and the fuel is leaned out to normal?

I only ask because I haven't experienced it, but I rarely start and immediately drive off during the very obvious cold start rich fuel moments. Something about those few moments just nudge me to be patient while the truck finishes its morning yawn.

I got 2 or 3 fuel injected motorcycles that it's even more pronounced when cold started. Of course the engine isn't nested under or inside anything so you can't miss the rich warmup program.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snakebitten; 05-18-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Do you mean while driving a "cold motor"?

How cold? Before the warm up fast idle programming finishes and the idle comes down and the fuel is leaned out to normal.
    Funny you asked, cause I asked myself if it will rattle if I let the fast idle finish its cycle ( about 2 minutes).

Same results ( rattle sound when tipping off the throttle).

A cold engine means the engine temperature needle/bar is at its minimum. As soon the temperature increases...noise gone , impossible to reproduce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Here is the very noise....

https://youtu.be/YAe8ORhjCiQ

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3045 times
    OK thanks. Just wondering.

I have an Ngauge so I'm not using the dash temp gauge. True numerical Temps reveal how little that dash gauge conveys.

If memory serves, ect's are approaching 140F about the time the truck "settles". So you could argue it is still a "cold motor" even after a couple of minutes.

I'm subscribed now. I'm interested in what else is said about this.

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3045 times
    Just listened to the video. That's NOT subtle!

I've never heard anything like that on any of the 6 Ecoboost that I'm around daily. That's a new one to me.

mhagley24 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Just listened to the video. That's NOT subtle!

I've never heard anything like that on any of the 6 Ecoboost that I'm around daily. That's a new one to me.

. Beware...this video has been recorded by some dude in Neutral, opened hood, close to the engine.

As a previously sais in post #1, more recent trucks (or reprogrammed trucks) only does it in Drive....meaning the sound is muffled somehow closed hood while truck is moving. So yes, it is almost subtle...

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times
    My 19 makes the sound ever so slightly when engine is still not up to temp and slowly driving and letting of the throttle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Not sure what that is but it sounds like and actuator or solenoid making adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    My 19 makes the sound ever so slightly when engine is still not up to temp and slowly driving and letting of the throttle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    You too then....so what do you think/do about it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links