Offset front license plate - Page 3

Offset front license plate

This is a discussion on Offset front license plate within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; Originally Posted by socal1200r I didn't unplug my shutter blades, I removed them. That way, the system thinks they're still in there, but they're not, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Offset front license plate

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    I didn't unplug my shutter blades, I removed them. That way, the system thinks they're still in there, but they're not, so no codes or anything like that...
    That's what I did as well, took them right out. Iat2 and other temps are better. Towing this weekend and will unplug the radiator as well. Hoping that helps with the heat.

Google the go pro video, they only open on full throttle from what I remember. Crazy that they want it so hot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Joseph322 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I wonder why its setup like that in the first place then? Usually I read comments on here " if the engineers at ford designed it that way who are you to change it".. more or less on the catch can debates... but it seems like this one is a no brainer.

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph322 View Post
    I wonder why its setup like that in the first place then? Usually I read comments on here " if the engineers at ford designed it that way who are you to change it".. more or less on the catch can debates... but it seems like this one is a no brainer.
    About the only explanation that I've read that is even remotely plausible to me is the blades allow the intercooler to get warm enough to take care of any condensation that might have built up inside. Maybe, but since the IC I installed has a drain hole, I'm leaving the blades off, so it gets LOTS of uninterrupted air flow now.
    Robert / SE VA & NC / 2018 F150 Supercab XLT FX4 2.7 ruby red / VTA mod; FlowMaster FX muffler; black dual tip; Husky rear fender liners; Unleashed 93 octane tune; Dual Liner; black F150 tailgate inserts; Hellwig rear sway bar; black hood panel; cross-drilled rotors; MGP caliper covers; rear KYB shocks; REV9 FMIC with shutter blades removed; 18x8 Navigator wheels; 285/65 Mastercraft AXTs; STX grill swap w/LEDs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    About the only explanation that I've read that is even remotely plausible to me is the blades allow the intercooler to get warm enough to take care of any condensation that might have built up inside. Maybe, but since the IC I installed has a drain hole, I'm leaving the blades off, so it gets LOTS of uninterrupted air flow now.
    What year model did you put a drain on? Weep hole? I've got 2017 and wondering if I need to do something like that especially since I've taken mine off

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    It's all about trying to gain that last little bit of MPG.
    mwemaxxowner likes this.
    2015 Ingot Silver - 3.5 Ecoboost FX4

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    It's all about trying to gain that last little bit of MPG.
    Do you think it has anything to do with any moisture in the cac?

Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    I thought I read it was for fuel economy as well.
    2013 XLT Ecoboost 4x4 6.5' Box SCrew - Tuxedo Black, Grey Interior - 3.73 Max Tow, Backup Camera, Skid Plates -2" Leveling Kit, 2" AAL, Box Side Step, Tail Gate Step

1/2 ton Fords......doing the work of 3/4 ton Chevys since 2011!

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
    What year model did you put a drain on? Weep hole? I've got 2017 and wondering if I need to do something like that especially since I've taken mine off

I have a 2018 2.7EB, and replaced the factory intercooler with one from REV9. The new one has a built-in drain at the bottom of the passenger side.
    Name:  FMIC_Rev9_20180925a.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  228.1 KB

Name:  FMIC_Rev9_20180925c.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  211.2 KB
    Joseph322 and mj0528 like this.
    Robert / SE VA & NC / 2018 F150 Supercab XLT FX4 2.7 ruby red / VTA mod; FlowMaster FX muffler; black dual tip; Husky rear fender liners; Unleashed 93 octane tune; Dual Liner; black F150 tailgate inserts; Hellwig rear sway bar; black hood panel; cross-drilled rotors; MGP caliper covers; rear KYB shocks; REV9 FMIC with shutter blades removed; 18x8 Navigator wheels; 285/65 Mastercraft AXTs; STX grill swap w/LEDs.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times
    I believe the shutters are for minute mileage gains. There seems to be no official statement so it's all speculation. The theories I've read (written by folks smarter than I) discuss fluid dynamics and how the shutters are supposed to force air around the front end, as opposed to through where it will create more drag. Working in conjunction with the front air dam.

The biggest reason we don't have much trouble with condensation is the shape and design of the intercooler. The old intercoolers had a gap between the cac outlet pipe and the bottom of the cac. Giving you a good inch or so for water to be able to pool up. The current design has the outlet pipe level with the bottom of the intercooler. This lets any condensation that builds up to be inhaled in small amounts which is not a problem.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Not at all. This is the first vehicle I've ever seen (heard of) people say that the intercooler causes moisture. If it was that efficient then there would be no reason to upgrade it.
    2015 Ingot Silver - 3.5 Ecoboost FX4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links